Clearing up internal memory...tips?

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I notice that no matter what I do, my internal memory seems to steadily decline. I have a handful of apps and after the 2.1 update and re-intalling them, I had somewhere around 50+ mb of space remaining. Now it is down to 40 or below.

What I normally do to free space:

• Clear the cache of all the apps
  • Delete all email in my trash folder for my POP/IMAP accounts
  • Have my email set to no more than 5k, so that I don't have to go into the mail folder and delete downloaded thumbnails etc. I used ASTRO for that.
  • Delete all my text / picture messages when they start to accumulate

Beyond that, no matter if I don't add anything else (other than updates to apps), my internal memory still seems to keep declining bit by bit.

Are there folders or other culprits I am not aware of that eat up memory?

Thanks for any help if someone has any other tips.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm referring to the internal phone storage.

I recently started freeing up RAM memory by managing 'running services', but mostly I feel like I am 'leaking' internal phone storage memory.

Someone said to leave it alone and when it gets low enough, it will automatically delete and clear up files on it's own, but I have let it get down to 10 MB and nothing happened and don't want it to slow down the phone, since lag is already a problem in general.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted you have the following options available to you:

- http://www.androidcentral.com/fine-tuning-minfree-settings-improving-androids-multi-tasking
- Cachemate CacheMate for Root Users v2.6.2 Application for Android | Tools
- Remove pre-installed apps by the carrier through terminal How to remove Stocks, Nascar and other useless apps... - xda-developers
- app2sd (comes installed on most rooted Roms.

Also, if you are experiencing a lot of lag on the phone you can try an pinpoint the problem application causing it by using the following terminal command on a rooted phone:
su
top -m 5 -n 1

The process running the most CPU is typically the culprit. Again, if you are not rooted then the above reference items won't work for you.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
If you use peep, or twitter and have it set to sync it will use up your memory just as your seeing. You can goto menu/settings/manage applications, look at peep and/or twitter and/or facebook. Youll see the app thats taking up 10 MBs in data and like 300k in prgm space. Clear data. youll have to login again, or use a different app.