I'll be getting a Hero to replace my Pre sometime in the very near future. I just can't take having to patch the phone for something as simple as a message indicator. Also, I think the build quality on the Hero is much better.

So, what should I expect from those that have had both?
    11-17-2009 10:56 AM
    expect better battery life, better apps, better camera, better experience, and a happier life
    11-17-2009 12:07 PM
    expect better battery life, better apps, better camera, better experience, and a happier life
    Lol, idk if I'd take it that far..

The only reason that I left the Pre was because of the horrid battery life, so definitely expect better battery life on the Hero. As for overall experience, I really liked the WebOS (I actually think WebOS is better than HTC Sense), so it depends on your lifestyle on this one. As for overall performance, I think the Hero runs quite a bit better than the Pre. I think you'll like the Hero over the Pre, but the Pre is quite an excellent phone, so don't hate on it
    11-17-2009 12:45 PM
    Expect to have a phone that you can actually change notification sounds right out of the box. The pre was a joke.
    11-17-2009 02:33 PM
    We have a Pre, Pixi, Hero, and a Treo Pro in the family. The Pre and Hero are hands down the better phones. My wife uses the Hero, although she may change to the Pixi. I use the Pre and Pro. I also use her Hero quite a bit. I don't think either one is a better all around package than the other. Hero has its good points, and so does the Pre. I do like the apps available for Android. My Pre is heavily patched and homebrew'ed. I really like the way it handles messaging, synergy, and email. If I had to choose I would pick the pre with an extended seidio battery. I do think that my Treo Pro will be replaced with a Hero and another Android device in the future, though.
    11-17-2009 02:39 PM
    Pure bliss.
    11-18-2009 07:09 PM
    I've had a Pre since 8/1, and switched to the Hero the day it was launched. Overall, I think the Hero is a far better device for business users. webOS is nice and elegantly designed and intuitive and generally a joy to use when you've not trying to use the PIM apps. The biggest positive difference for me between the two is that I can setup my Hero's home screens as a "dashboard" so that most of the important information I need is always a swipe or two away. To do the same thing on the Pre requires leaving a bunch of cards open all the time. The Pre does do some things better than the Hero; the camera produces more pleasing images, the music/video/YouTube player is better, and Synergy works better than the Facebook integration on the Hero.

One thing you definitely won't have to do anymore if you switch to a Hero: patch the OS to provide basic functionality like LED notifications and default calendar views.

Palm's advertising tagline for the Pre and webOS really ought to be "there's a patch for that."
    11-18-2009 11:00 PM
    I certainly can't knock the Pre. For my personal line it worked very well, except for one thing. I'm hard on phones, I will admit it, and the Pre just doesn't take abuse very well. I did pounce on the first Sprint Android phone though ...I've been waiting for this for a while.
    11-18-2009 11:47 PM
    I got it earlier today, so far it's been very nice. Quick learning curve, very responsive, and it just feels built well compared to the Pre.
    11-19-2009 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD