Update

Malix

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, new around here.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a new update for the Hero. I talked to my technicians (I work for Sprint) and they said it wasn't likely since the Hero doesn't have the capacity for Froyo, which I could understand somewhat, but does that just mean we are going to be stuck with this build? Or will some kind of update still be issued out for Hero owners? I don't mind the current build, but hate to see the that only newer models get it. I don't mind upgrading to the Epic or Evo, but I still don't feel it is right for Hero owners to get abandoned. Any insight?

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, new around here.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a new update for the Hero. I talked to my technicians (I work for Sprint) and they said it wasn't likely since the Hero doesn't have the capacity for Froyo, which I could understand somewhat, but does that just mean we are going to be stuck with this build? Or will some kind of update still be issued out for Hero owners? I don't mind the current build, but hate to see the that only newer models get it. I don't mind upgrading to the Epic or Evo, but I still don't feel it is right for Hero owners to get abandoned. Any insight?

HTC announced that there would be no more updates. If you want froyo, or just want to have your phone run better, then root it and install a custom rom. Check the Hero ROMs/Hacks section of this forum for a link to a version of froyo for the hero, or try HoneyBun for a faster better working version of the stock 2.1 software.

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I talked to Sprint tech support last week about my continuing problems with lag and BT, and they told me there would be a Froyo update in October. Since this contradicted everything else I had read online I took it with a grain of salt. But my understanding is that Froyo can be 'scaled' to match the capability of different phones so it's not impossible. The cynic in me thinks they are only trying to string me along until after my 1 year 'warranty' expires on it (my Hero phone).

If you (the OP) work for Sprint can you ask around some more?

aquaboy1976

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I talked to Sprint tech support last week about my continuing problems with lag and BT, and they told me there would be a Froyo update in October. Since this contradicted everything else I had read online I took it with a grain of salt. But my understanding is that Froyo can be 'scaled' to match the capability of different phones so it's not impossible. The cynic in me thinks they are only trying to string me along until after my 1 year 'warranty' expires on it (my Hero phone).

I agree with taking it with a grain of salt about the Froyo update. I would love Froyo on the Hero, but it does not look like it is going to happen :(

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't get your hopes up, but you never know. Though I can't see why they'd push out 2.1 for it only to replace it with 2.2 a couple of months later. Like I said, you never know. 2.2 would be good for the Hero, as the improved processing efficiency would probably make it feel like a completely different phone in terms of performance. The Hero's a popular phone though, so I'm guessing a bunch of custom ROMs will be available.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with taking it with a grain of salt about the Froyo update. I would love Froyo on the Hero, but it does not look like it is going to happen :(

In fact, I would take that with the whole salt shaker. ;-) CM6 runs beautifully on my hero.

Sent from my CDMA Hero running CM6. Got me some hot froyo on hero action!

Malix

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

That's what a coworker said, that they would probably release a scaled down version, but it will take Google time to adjust it. I don't think they would say that to save warranty. Are u talking about the manufacturer's warranty? Or insurance?

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
That's what a coworker said, that they would probably release a scaled down version, but it will take Google time to adjust it. I don't think they would say that to save warranty. Are u talking about the manufacturer's warranty? Or insurance?
I don't have insurance on the phone so it must be through the manufacturer (HTC) ? This was the Sprint rep offering to replace it, though.

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe Sprint & HTC want to spend more resources ($) to a phone that is 'old' in their opinion, great excuse for them to make Hero owners to replace for new EVOs or Epics. And I believe from reading here on the blogs (not forums) they announced the Hero & Moment would not get the Froyo, they want to spend those resources on new projects down the line (Froyo for Epic & Gingerbread in the future for EVO).

Anyway, I think HTC Sense would slow down the phone somewhat with Froyo (see what it does to 2.1, very laggy unless you use a rooted custom ROM) and that's the real 'reason' they won't update the Hero, unless they would release an official OC'd (overclocked) version, which HTC would not support most likely, so that's that; bottom line, dollars & sense for Sprint & HTC.

EDIT: That's why I rooted and use custom ROM (Honeybun with OC); fantastic speed & no lag.

Last edited:

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It may not be a good idea to have Froyo on the Hero, because it caused some lag with the EVO. I could only imagine what it would do to the Hero.

I have far less lag on my hero now, with 2.2 then I did with 2.1. Not only that, but I expect the lag I do have to be hammered out by darch and crew in future updates.

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got me some hot froyo on hero action here!

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It may not be a good idea to have Froyo on the Hero, because it caused some lag with the EVO. I could only imagine what it would do to the Hero.

It must be the stock Froyo from Sprint on the EVO, that will most likely be the culprit. I'm sure the rooted Froyo ROMs run much better than the stock, after all the same thing happens with the Hero stock and the 2.1 rooted ROMs, no ROM lag and runs steady.

I heard that 2.2 on the Hero is pretty fast!

I read someone who compared it to switching from 56k modem to broadband...that's huge. I'll take the dip this weekend when I have some time to install it.

aquaboy1976

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I read someone who compared it to switching from 56k modem to broadband...that's huge. I'll take the dip this weekend when I have some time to install it.

I think we heard the same thing! It may have been on the Android Central podcast because I asked their opinion on putting Froyo on the Hero.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Darch would not release an actual rc1 if stuff was still not working. Camera is fine. They do release nightly builds to iron out the bugs, so just get rc1 and run with it. Read the thread over at xda.

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got me some hot froyo on hero action here!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar