I am having trouble syncing my hero with computer. I have downloaded HTC Sync from the HTC website but I can not get anything to work. I want to transfer some music and pictures but am not getting past the screen with the following:
    Synchronize Now
    Sync Manager
    Application Installer

Please Help.

Thank you.
    11-19-2009 08:33 PM
    If the laptop sees your phone and you can mount the card to copy files try this:

Uninstall HTC sync.
    Download latest version and reinstall
    In settings->applications->development make sure USB debugging is UNCHECKED
    Plug phone into PC
    Check USB debugging

Your Laptop should search for drivers, which it will find and set up. Htc sync icon in status bar on laptop should turn green.

*edit*
    I misread. Make sure USB debugging is CHECKED. Plug in phone. Pull down notification bar and click here to copy files...click it.

The SD card should then show up as a hard drive in MY Computer on your laptop. Drag and Drop like any other windows folder.

If that doesn't work, try my steps above.
    11-19-2009 11:03 PM
    @ gbhil....i have followed the procedure mentioned above (earlier one) but dont know why neither my laptop detects my phone nor my phone recognizes if PC sync client is available..any tips? :-(
    11-20-2009 05:12 PM
    XP, Vista or Win7? Sounds like you might have to use drivers from the SDK

USB Driver for Windows | Android Developers
    11-20-2009 05:46 PM
    I now see the folders in the my computer icon for my hero. Now how do I organize my music and photos?
    I am coming from an Instinct and the software that came with that phone blows the heros away. It was simple as can be to just drag and drop anything I wanted on my phone. There was an icon on my desktop, it was very easy and convenient.

Am I missing something? This seems very difficult and unorganized....
    11-24-2009 07:46 PM
    Have u just tried mounting it with out downloading the sync? That's how I did it and it worked fine. I just dragged and dropped my music to the card on my phone. I didn't even bother downloading the sync.
    11-24-2009 08:54 PM
    I'm having the same problem, I'm using Win7x64. The Hero reports powered by computer connection, but there is no link via the USB cable to the notebook.

HTC Sync
    USB Connected
    Computer powered profile applied
    Win7 makes connection sound.
    HTC Sync Manager does not show a connection, nor does Win Explorer.

Yes, I've tried finding the Hero via Explorer and to no avail. I can use a mSD in a USB adapter to load any updates if that's required. I haven't seen anything though on line regarding Win7 and the Hero.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

KC
    11-29-2009 01:24 PM
    Sounds like a driver issue.
    Uninstall any drivers Win7 put it when you first plugged in the phone.
    Grab correct drivers USB Driver for Windows | Android Developers
    Turn USB debug OFF and plug it in.
    Turn USB debug ON and let Win7 reload the software for it. If it asks, point it towards the new drivers.
    11-29-2009 03:44 PM
    As a follow up. Are there any issues with leaving the phone with debug on? Security? Proper operation? I've not yet pondered rooting, still a newbie with this phone.

Thanks again.
    11-29-2009 04:30 PM
    You need to leave it on for HTC sync to work, or to do any operation through the abd shell. It doesn't hurt anything.

The reason for turning it off, connecting, then turning back on is a Win7 trick to force your pc to restart the plug and play system, and prompt to install drivers if needed.
    11-29-2009 04:48 PM
    I now see the folders in the my computer icon for my hero. Now how do I organize my music and photos?
    I am coming from an Instinct and the software that came with that phone blows the heros away. It was simple as can be to just drag and drop anything I wanted on my phone. There was an icon on my desktop, it was very easy and convenient.

Am I missing something? This seems very difficult and unorganized....

Open up the hero from your computer, make a music, video, pictures or whatever folder you would like......then drag and drop. Technically you don't have to make any folders but that's up to you.
    11-29-2009 10:21 PM
    Follow up from HTC....

Thank you for contacting HTC!

I apologize for the issues you have having syncing to Windows 7. At this time there is still not a version of Sync available to run with Windows 7 OS. If you need other assistance you can contact our Technical Support at 1-866-449-8358.

Sincerely,
    HTC Email Support

Sorry.... we can't help you. Hmmm.. well that's helpful.

Maybe I should return all of my Sprint phones and go look at Verizon and buy a Droid!!

KC
    11-30-2009 12:07 PM
    I know I'm coming late to the discussion, but after just purchasing my Hero from Sprint I came across a smiliar issue as the OP. I could not find the phone as a "drive" on my computer even after plugging it in and trying to use HTC Sync (I came from a BlackBerry where the Desktop Manager was the "hub" of all transfers). I didn't realize that I needed to pull down the notification menu on the phone itself to "mount" the phone. Once I did that, the drive was recognized immediately by my computer.

Sorry if this is obvious to most, but being unfamiliar with the Android OS made this issue not-so-clear to me. Hope it helps others!
    01-13-2010 02:08 PM
    Works for me on MacBook running Win7 Experimental via Parallels. I downloaded the newest sync software from HTC website. I ended up not using it to actually sync anything, but I know it does recognize the phone any everything... I also had installed the SDK prior to using, so that may have helped with the driver issue.
    01-13-2010 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD