Extremely frustrated with htc hero; please help

mxu030

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So I just bought a Telus HTC Hero, which the seller had unlocked. I intend to use this phone with another carrier, Bell. After spending a few hours at Bell customer service, they finally managed to get the 3G data working (for weather, email etc.). However, the browser does not work, neither does the Market.

What seems to be causing the problem is that this phone is MASSIVELY tweaked (appears massive to me probably because I'm not that big on tweaking and don't know about the Android OS in general) by the previous owner who only had it for a few days. The Bell customer service person told me that they switched over a couple of other HTC devices from Telus that were NOT tweaked and the data works perfectly.

All I want is for the phone to be in original factory settings, with original ROMs, firmwares, software, etc. etc. Just looking at the whole bunch of different files that this guy had on the 2GB "gold" memory card made my head spin. He attempted to explain to me with all the "updates" and fancy "roms" and "roots" and crap that I didn't understand nor do I want to spend the time to learn.

I understand that a lot of people buy android phones because they love tweaking but I am not really into all that... I just wanted the phone for the form factor and the functionality and I don't want to worry about optimizing and whatnot. So my question is: is there any way to get the phone back to the most original possible software condition? I just want it "clean." Can I go ahead and wipe everything that is on the 2 GB card? What do I do? I performed a hard reset and it took me to some weird startup screen and I chose the first option which is like reboot now (there were also a bunch of other options including apply update.zip or something)... it still gave me the same MoDaCo build.

I can provide any information but I would really appreciate any help in restoring my seemingly very tweaked phone to original, factory settings, so it could be like any other phone being sold by Telus other than the fact that it is unlocked.

Last edited:

mxu030

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Here is more information I don't know if this will help:

Firmware version: 1.5
Baseband version: 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18
Kernel version: 2.6.27-mck-teknologist-1.8root@neutrino
Build number: MoDaCo Custom ROM 2.9 Core, SSH password: (is it safe to list this?)
Software version: 1.0.0.A6288

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Telus baseband version is 63.18.55.06DAU_6.35.08.20
The 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 baseband comes from the Modaco Rom. It's not going to work on Telus unless it gets flashed back to stock, or if you are prepared to do some hex editing and further tweaking.

Compare this:
APN = sp.telus.com
Proxy = 74.49.0.18
Port 80
Username = <not set>
Password = <not set>
Server = <not set>
MMSC = http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc
MMS proxy = 74.49.0.18
MMS Port = 80
MMS Protocol = WAP 2.0
MCC = 302
MNC = 220
APN type = default,mms

to what's on your Hero. Those are the default Telus APN settings, and should be what the Telus rep has on your phone.

The party you got the phone from SHOULD have a link to the utility to restore the Phone to Telus stock. It's a windows program, and is easy to use. Try that. If he provides you with it, and you return to Telus Stock firmware, it should connect without an issue.

And no, it's NOT safe to list the SSH password. That gives anyone with a terminal complete control of your phone.

Last edited:

mxu030

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 baseband comes from the Modaco Rom. It's not going to work on Telus unless it gets flashed back to stock, or if you are prepared to do some hex editing and further tweaking.

Compare this:
APN = sp.telus.com
Proxy = 74.49.0.18
Port 80
Username = <not set>
Password = <not set>
Server = <not set>
MMS proxy = 74.49.0.18
MMS Port = 80
MMS Protocol = WAP 2.0
MCC = 302
MNC = 220
APN type = default,mms

to what's on your Hero. Those are the default Telus APN settings, and should be what the Telus rep has on your phone.

The party you got the phone from SHOULD have a link to the utility to restore the Phone to Telus stock. It's a windows program, and is easy to use. Try that. If he provides you with it, and you return to Telus Stock firmware, it should connect without an issue.

And no, it's NOT safe to list the SSH password. That gives anyone with a terminal complete control of your phone.

Where would the link be located? He originally bought the phone from Telus and unlocked it. I have the box here with all the papers and accessories. I have looked on HTC's website but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for your help. Sigh I really should have bought this phone straight from Telus and had them unlock it for me.

Also, if this is possible, can you please explain to me briefly what MoDaCo ROM is and does? Thanks!

Last edited:

mxu030

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

Compare this:
APN = sp.telus.com
Proxy = 74.49.0.18
Port 80
Username = <not set>
Password = <not set>
Server = <not set>
MMS proxy = 74.49.0.18
MMS Port = 80
MMS Protocol = WAP 2.0
MCC = 302
MNC = 220
APN type = default,mms

I also found out there's a boot screen I have access to when I do a reset and these are the options it gives me. Perhaps one of them can restore the phone back to the original settings?

- Reboot system now
- Nandroid v2.2 backup
- Nandroid v2.2 restore
- Apply sdcard:update.zip
- Apply sdcard:choose zip
- Wipe data/factory reset
- Wipe SD: ext partition
- Wipe SD: dalvik-cache
- Part SD: fat32+ext2+swap
- Part SD: onlt far32
- Repair ext filesystem
- Convert ext2 to ext3
- Fix apk vid mismatches
- Fix rotate
- USB Mass storage on
- USB Mass storage off

Also, he is telling me the baseband version is different due to the unlocking of the phone. Is this possible?

Last edited:

mxu030

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help thus far. I am new to this device and I'm probably overreacting a bit. I'm going to try to reflash the original ROM back and I'll respost if I'm successful.

I am really in love with this phone. Thanks!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's likely that he (the seller) is right. The issue is that the phone is rooted, a new ROM flashed, and not quite finished being set up to work with Bell. Unless you can find someone to walk through the final steps, I think flashing back to stock is the way to go. Get it all working nicely, root it again and back everything up.

That way you can play with flashing something new if you like, but have an easy one click method of returning to what works.

Good luck!