Please help before my trial runs out. Alarm problem.

slthree

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I have had the same problem 3 or 4 times already and hope I'm doing something wrong.

When I go to bed, I set the alarm. The alarm never goes off.

Instead, when I manually wake the phone it displays the time that it was when I went to bed. It takes a second and then resets to the time of morning that it is.

It goes like this:

At 12:30am I set the alarm for 8am.

I wake up at 9am to discover my alarm never went off. I wake the phone by tapping the red button and the time reads 12:30am for a second or two, then it calibrates to the actual time.

I'm coming from a Treo 700p where I never missed an alarm. This may not be a big concern for many but I live and die by alarms.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Mine does that with the clock, but the alarm still goes off. Make sure the alarm volume is up, make sure you actually have it turned on (there should be an alarm clock in your notification area), and make sure the time is set correctly, AM or PM.

Somehow I changed my recurring alarm to PM last night. Fortunately I went to be early and still woke up in time to make it to work.

slthree

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

My fear is that I do a hard reset, it works for a while, just long enough to get past my trial, and then it happens again when I'm stuck with the phone. My phone is my life and the alarm is a huge part of that.

I did confirm that the little icon was up at the top and the am was set correctly and the volume was on. The problem is that the time doesn't seem to progress after I tap the red button to sleep the phone.

Can anyone else weigh in?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I followed the recommendations here to get TasKiller.

Hmmmm, not sure where you saw someone recommend taskiller for the Hero but i think its actually been linked back to causing several problems with the CDMA Hero. One of which was text messages not being recived. I think thats what Kennyidaho was getting at. Not sure about any issues with alarms but heres what i suggest ...

1) Remove taskiller
2) Powercycle your phone (shut off, take battery out for a few sec., reboot)
3) Completely forget the issue you see with the time widget on your homescreen. This is a known issue with Sense that the widget doesnt continue "working" when the phone is sleeping but rather refreshes when the phone wakes up. That means when you wake up your phone you will see the old time but it will immediately flip to the new time. This is an issue with the widget and does not reflect in any way on your phones ability to keep time. You can verify this by checking the swipe bar on the lock screen or by looking in the upper right hand corner. Thats called your system time and it will be current.
4) Make sure your alarm is settup correctly (am/pm)
5) Turn your alarm volume all the way up. I cant tell you how many people i've seen say the alarm doesnt work and in every case i can think of, they didnt have the volume turned up. Heres the trick and this is what messes most people up, the ringer volume has absolutely nothing to do with the alarm volume. You need to turn up the actual alarm volume (go in to edit the alarm, click alarm sound, press volume button all the way up).
6) test your alarm.

Good luck!

slthree

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Well, that's one of the best posts I've read on any message board and I have been on Treocentral for years, although I'm new here. It was very educational. Thank you for taking the time to do that. I will follow your advice.

As for "TasKiller", I may be wrong that I got the recommendation here. I've been browsing a handful of android sites because I know everything about palm os and NOTHING about android. It may have been another site where it was recommended as an answer for having too many apps running at one time in the background. Obviously, I never faced that problem with PalmOS.

Hmmmm, not sure where you saw someone recommend taskiller for the Hero but i think its actually been linked back to causing several problems with the CDMA Hero. One of which was text messages not being recived. I think thats what Kennyidaho was getting at. Not sure about any issues with alarms but heres what i suggest ...

1) Remove taskiller
2) Powercycle your phone (shut off, take battery out for a few sec., reboot)
3) Completely forget the issue you see with the time widget on your homescreen. This is a known issue with Sense that the widget doesnt continue "working" when the phone is sleeping but rather refreshes when the phone wakes up. That means when you wake up your phone you will see the old time but it will immediately flip to the new time. This is an issue with the widget and does not reflect in any way on your phones ability to keep time. You can verify this by checking the swipe bar on the lock screen or by looking in the upper right hand corner. Thats called your system time and it will be current.
4) Make sure your alarm is settup correctly (am/pm)
5) Turn your alarm volume all the way up. I cant tell you how many people i've seen say the alarm doesnt work and in every case i can think of, they didnt have the volume turned up. Heres the trick and this is what messes most people up, the ringer volume has absolutely nothing to do with the alarm volume. You need to turn up the actual alarm volume (go in to edit the alarm, click alarm sound, press volume button all the way up).
6) test your alarm.

Good luck!

olemisrebl

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue.

I have had the same problem 3 or 4 times already and hope I'm doing something wrong.

When I go to bed, I set the alarm. The alarm never goes off.

Instead, when I manually wake the phone it displays the time that it was when I went to bed. It takes a second and then resets to the time of morning that it is.

It goes like this:

At 12:30am I set the alarm for 8am.

I wake up at 9am to discover my alarm never went off. I wake the phone by tapping the red button and the time reads 12:30am for a second or two, then it calibrates to the actual time.

I'm coming from a Treo 700p where I never missed an alarm. This may not be a big concern for many but I live and die by alarms.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?

My wife and I both have Hero's and both are having this same issue.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I both have Hero's and both are having this same issue.

Did you try my above post? I would assume it worked for SLT otherwise they would have come back and reported it didn't work to keep the thread alive.

Try it and see what you come up with. No need to wait till the morning to test, you can know within 5 minutes if it worked by following the steps then setting up a new alarm.

I really hope this works for you because I haven't owned an alarm clock in years because of cell phones so i can only imagine how inconvenient it is.

slthree

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Did you try my above post? I would assume it worked for SLT otherwise they would have come back and reported it didn't work to keep the thread alive.

Try it and see what you come up with. No need to wait till the morning to test, you can know within 5 minutes if it worked by following the steps then setting up a new alarm.

I really hope this works for you because I haven't owned an alarm clock in years because of cell phones so i can only imagine how inconvenient it is.

KSmith, you fixed my alarm problem. I can't thank you enough. I didn't uninstall TasKiller but the other things you mentioned seemed to do the trick. There was no indication at the alarm screen that you had to set the volume with the side keys. I kept hitting "menu" and got nothing. Only your advice helped. I assigned the Clock as an app to be ignored by TasKiller.

As I'm a few days from my trial running out there are now only two things that make me hesitant about keeping the hero (which I love). I am going to impose on you again as you are the most knowledgeable android person I've met.

1. I am a sales rep (pharma) and am very calendar dependent. I have been using DateBook and it is fantastic. The variety of views, the icons in month view, the carrying over of to-do items, all make it a must have business tool.

Is there any calendar option to the included google one that may be close to DateBook?

2. I have always taken notes at meetings on my Treo 700p by using graffiti (Mobilewrite, to be specific) . I got very proficient and was able to do everything by writing on my screen. The added benefit was that I was never suspected of "playing" on my phone during meetings because everyone knew I was taking notes. So, I was able to get off the occasional text or check email quickly.

Is there any option for taking notes in such a fashion?

Thanks

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
1) I'm not sure. I can't even get my Outlook calendar or email on my phone as Android does not meet the security requirements implemented by most large companies. Sorry.

2) I think the problem here is your old phone had a resistive touch screen and with the exception of the tattoo, all android devices are capacitive. Handwriting technology would be difficult if not impossible to use on such a small capacitive screen. You'd literally have to "write" each letter the size of the screen. The future of touchscreens is capacitive so things like graffiti will probably fall by the way.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
just thought of something .... The product is not available for our phones, its currently in beta for android 2.0 i believe BUT check out a product called Swype. I think you'll be quite happy with the idea and it will suit your needs.

Were all eagerly awaiting this product for our Hero!

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The task killer was the issue with my alarm problem. I now deselect the clock app on my task killer and my alarm works.

Glad to hear your up and running!! :)

This is more of an opinoin than anything, but i think Android as an OS is quite proficient at handling memory management without the need of a taskiller. Besides that i think with the added layer of UI created by HTC, people will continue having issues with taskillers until one is made specifically for Sense. If you know anyone thats a dev ... that would be a pretty cool idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome