Handcent SMS vs. Hero SMS

profiler#AC

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If I installed Handcent SMS:

How do I disable the Hero SMS from notifications?

How do I not have to Double delete messages on Handcent and Hero SMS?

Is there a way to kill one and only use the other without doing double the work?

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I used Handcent from the day I got the phone but noticed it got really slow at times. I switched back to the default which was just OK...but then installed Chomp, and so far Chomp has been my favorite. It's really quick, it's customizable, and it's free.

envoynv

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
hmmm.

I have been using Handcent as well, but am disappointed I can not get my "ball" to alert for notifications, Handcent has not gotten back to me in weeks. I might have to try the Chomp solution.

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have been using Handcent as well, but am disappointed I can not get my "ball" to alert for notifications, Handcent has not gotten back to me in weeks. I might have to try the Chomp solution.

I don't use it, but Chomp has a ball/cursor notification setting too...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I like Handcent. There was an issue with it on 2.1, so I put on Chomp. Honestly, the two are very similar when not customized. I liked the custom backgrounds for every person and the popup sms built into handcent. I'm glad they got it updated for 2.1, works flawlessly now.

WeGlobal

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Currently using Handcent......no major issues with it, but occasionally it will ask me to insert a quick text when I want to type a full text. I'll try ChompSMS soon and use that for a bit before I make a final choice on my main SMS app.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
None of my texts are recieving... I can only text out. This is with chomp, handcent and the main sms :( My wife can send and recieve... Anyone else?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I would try a factory reset. take note of apps and whatnot and then wipe everything. I have heard this helps.
Another issue could be if you have a lot of picture messages, delete the threads (you can save the pics to the sd card)

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I would try a factory reset. take note of apps and whatnot and then wipe everything. I have heard this helps.
Another issue could be if you have a lot of picture messages, delete the threads (you can save the pics to the sd card)
I just did this Sunday and then texts works great...and now are dead again.

I only have two picture messages. I do not want to keep doing a factory reset every three days :(

Anything else to check before I do the reset again?

Saint1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
is there a way to add a new number to my contacts list in either handset, default or chomp?

i have new people texting me all the time and want to just add them from their message instead of writing down their number.

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
None of my texts are recieving... I can only text out. This is with chomp, handcent and the main sms :( My wife can send and recieve... Anyone else?

I would also make sure you are not killing the vnote application with a task killer I found it is somehow linked with receiving text messages. Just to let you know I can't remember what the actual name of the program that I was killing that caused this issue. If you have a auto kill set make sure you add it to the ignored list and it might help.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Been playing with a task killer by chance???

Yes! What should I keep open???
I would also make sure you are not killing the vnote application with a task killer I found it is somehow linked with receiving text messages. Just to let you know I can't remember what the actual name of the program that I was killing that caused this issue. If you have a auto kill set make sure you add it to the ignored list and it might help.
vnote, does anyone know thae actual name? com.coremobility.app.vnotes? How do you keep something like that from not popping up in task killer?

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited:

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Wish I could. I rooted mine and installed 2.1 so the app I added to the list isn't in 2.1. Or I haven't found it anyway. If you reboot the phone and look at the processes that start up it will have something about v.note. I know I was having the same issue and narrowed it down to that app or process.