2.1, Sprint Hero, and animated wallapers...

ro_bro

Dec 21, 2009
sprintherotips.blogspot.com
So I assume nobody knows?

I think it's just common sense that on a 528mhz processor, 2.1 will not run as smoothly. To my knowledge the Hero does not have a separate video processor like the iPhone GS or the Pre. Most likely I predict that we'll have to turn off any fancy features in 2.1 to avoid lag. But again, that's just my personal guess.

IronEddie

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Thats what I was thinking. It seems like something that would be cool for about a week then you would want to turn it off anyways.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
They already work on 2.x test builds. Without the 3d accell enabled (need kernel source) they still run pretty damn well.

Personally, if they are included with sense, it's the first thing I'm ripping out.

bcnice20

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
i could honestly do without the live wallpapers jus the feel and all the other features is what i would prefer they focus there time on

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, Live wallpapers don't seem like anything special. Sure, it's cool, but nothing I would lose sleep over if HTC doesn't include it in the Hero 2.1 update.

ext6ews224

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
it seems like there are videos popping up with android 2.1 running on our beloved Sprint Hero. I have seen several. The update must be around the corner. The supposed rumor is mid February. From what I have seen on other sites, the European Hero will receive the update on February 15th. Check out the link below if you haven't seen it already:

HTC Hero to Taste Android 2.1 in February - At least in Europe - Softpedia

With Sprint being the number 3 carrier, that should entitle them to receive some of these newer Android phones and/or updates sooner. Sprint has the best data plans for these phones with the Simply Everything plan. All of the other carriers are starting to follow them with their Unlimited pricing.

All that said, i wish they hurry up with the update.

Scott_LAN

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I would just like the terrible lag issue to be resolved. I love the Hero it is a fabulous phone! But I'm sure, like most others, the lag issue is key.

I am not sure if anyone else has experienced the same issue or not, but there are multiple times when I don't receive text message..hours at a time. If this is a common issue I hope 2.1 fixes this as well.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Hero would have a problem with 2.1 if they also release the update to store apps onto the SD card. Many have mentioned improved speed with rooting and apps2SD. I figured freeing up space would make the phone run more efficiently. I'm looking forward to it.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
it seems like there are videos popping up with android 2.1 running on our beloved Sprint Hero. I have seen several. The update must be around the corner. The supposed rumor is mid February. From what I have seen on other sites, the European Hero will receive the update on February 15th. Check out the link below if you haven't seen it already:

HTC Hero to Taste Android 2.1 in February - At least in Europe - Softpedia

With Sprint being the number 3 carrier, that should entitle them to receive some of these newer Android phones and/or updates sooner. Sprint has the best data plans for these phones with the Simply Everything plan. All of the other carriers are starting to follow them with their Unlimited pricing.

All that said, i wish they hurry up with the update.

It will be interesting to see how the European Hero handles 2.1. Does anyone know if it has the same processor as the Sprint version? Thanks!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Try removing the HTC Location Service. The lag will mostly be gone.

HTC Location service is only one of MANY services that can cause the CPU cycles to escalate. The bug is in Android's location service. Google has documented the issue and the "fix" is to periodically toggle Googles location services on and off to free the cpu, or not use location aware services. This issue only appears in cupcake.

I don't think the Hero would have a problem with 2.1 if they also release the update to store apps onto the SD card. Many have mentioned improved speed with rooting and apps2SD. I figured freeing up space would make the phone run more efficiently. I'm looking forward to it.
Different memory. The system or any installed applications are in a separate user space. The real trick would be to have unused storage memory used as an 'on disk' swap file and let applications and their data run from the SD card.

Possible? Maybe. We need HTC, Sprint and Verizon (as well as Samsung, Motorola, T-Mobile, etc. etc., but for our purposes we'll focus on the Hero) to stop breaking the terms of the GPL they agreed to and release the kernel changes so we can find out.

Taz2024

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I love the live wallpaper it some thing new and yes the other features are important and should be work on as well I really want to know is when will we get the updates for our heros this old build is killing me I play with my g1 more right now.

ext6ews224

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I am sure the people at Sprint and Htc may monitor some of these forums regarding their products. After all, it's the voice of the customer in relation to their products. Again, the Hero is a great phone but it's not perfect. What phone is? The live wallpaper is nice and if they could erase some of the lag time, that would be even better. I have noticed some lag time when receiving text messages and when I switch the phone from portrait to landscape. I wish apps can be saved to the SD card as well. These cell phones are much like computers these days. One of the differences lie in the processor. the Google Nexus has one of, if not, the fastest processor out today for phones today. I don't think there is a way to update our processor to a faster one. It doesn't matter.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae