does Angry Birds work on Hero?

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm running LiquidSense 2.1.1 on my Sprint Hero and I'm having trouble with Angry Birds. The current version in the Market is v1.4.5 and it's totally unplayable. Someone suggested installing the old v1.3.5 version and that helped a lot; it's playable now. But some of the textures are still missing and I'm told that that's a problem with the OpenGL support in the phone.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? e.g. Is there an updated OpenGL driver for the Hero?

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Angry Birds on the Hero is, well... Bad. Real bad.

The only help I've found is to put the phone into Airplane mode to block the ads. That speeds it up some.

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like the two of you need to install the older v1.3.5. With that older version it's very playable, but with some of the block-types not showing (they're invisible)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The Optimus phones have more processing power. There is a Lite version available in the market, has anyone tried that version? I constantly flash new ROMs so I don't bother trying it out since I'll just be losing data on the game.

nick_danger

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have the Optimus S and my wife has the Hero. Angry Birds is a slideshow on the Hero (very choppy) and is mostly smooth on my Optimus. Levels that have more complex physics interactions (lots of stacked blocks, lots of pigs, etc.) will slow down worse than simpler levels. It's a relatively simple game in terms of graphics, but the physics calculations are what cripple the gameplay on less powerful phones.

That being said, the latest version of AB and AB Seasons (just updated yesterday) have an option to turn off background graphics. This allows for an incremental increase in processing power available for physics calculations. It has made a noticeable difference on both my Optimus (completely smooth all the time) and my wife's Hero, but it's still very difficult to enjoy it on the Hero.

I would upgrade my wife's Hero, but now with Sprint's $10/mo upgrade tax, it just doesn't seem worth it... plus she doesn't really like AB anyway.

The Optimus phones have more processing power. There is a Lite version available in the market, has anyone tried that version?
The "Lite" version is an early beta. It would likely offer an even worse experience full of bugs and fewer performance enhancements. But if you want to try it, it would only take a couple seconds to download and install...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca