Stopped waiting for Tour2 and got a Sprint Hero

energizer1389

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Im glad I didnt wait. My wife says I spent more time with my Hero than with her. I do miss some features from my Blackberry curve but minor. The stuff I can do with my hero that was impossible to do with my Curve are uncountable.

The Sprint software is way more polished and faster. I love Sprint Navigation. Works better than my GPS. The rest of Sprint Software is crap (NFL,etc) on both phones.
Flash Media is good.
I love the HTC,s people software integrations with SMS and Facebook and Calendar etc.
Web browsing is light years ahead of Blackberry.
Highly customizable.
Oh my god, The Apps, apps for anything and everything.
Gmail is great. The Mail App is also Great. Ive used them both.

Will continue later......

What do you think???

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm like you, had the Curve 8330 and got tired of waiting. I love my Hero, even more after I rooted it (AppsToSD rocks).

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You compare apples to oranges with the web browsing...
The 8330 from Sprint is not a 3G phone (I tried talking my parents out of it and that they would serve better use from a Tour or something else, but they wanted the curve because it looked easy to operate, now they complain about speed indoors, go figure). I installed Opera mini on my mom's curve and its a decent web browsing experience for non-3G, but still doesn't compare to the real deal. Plus, wifi on a mobile device is awesome, even though I know they wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it if they had it (i constantly get calls from them about network woes).
The Hero is a great phone and internet. I don't always have my laptop on me, and I move around a lot, at least for now.
I do like the NFL app, however, the widget is garbage. I've been using Sprint TV a lot this month since my sister doesn't have cable or digital converter box. Sprint Nav is awesome, at least until I get to try out google nav.
The native apps are decent, however, I do wish I could remove a select few to save space for better apps in the market. I don't use Twidroid for that reason, Peep is decent enough. I do use Handcent cause I like the pop-up feature, and using customizable backgrounds for each person is also neat.
I'm happy with the mail and gmail apps, they work just fine. I haven't tried any other apps for mail as it would be more wasted space.
I'd rather use Docs to go than QuickOffice but don't
Shop Savy is too cool. I do like to shop and this helps out especially for electronics.
A lot of my other apps are available on blackberry, like Shazam, iheart radio, pandora, and Lexi-comp (looks better on Android, works better on blackberry)
The camera is actually decent, for my needs anyway. Battery life isn't as good as the Curve, but hey, its much more of a device. Plus, easily fixed with an extended battery that I'm on the fence about. I feel my battery life will be better when I move next due to signal strength.

gus_mccrae

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Welcome! I ditched my Tour last month for the Hero & have never been happier with a device (or an OS). I had a Pearl and a Curve before that so I was surprised how easy of an Android convert I was.

josh_johnson11

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
@rufflez: I'm pretty sure the Sprint Curve 8330 IS a 3G phone. I just swapped my 8330 for a Hero as well. It does not, however, have WiFi.

So far I'm falling hard and fast for my Hero.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Their phones only display 1x and never ev. I wondering if its a setting. I thought the storm was the first blackberry 3g phone, but I could be wrong. If anyone knows a setting, let me know, they will be thrilled.

Just checked. It is a 3g phone: EVDO rev 0. Maybe ill play with theirs this weekend to see if I can get it to read out ev

Last edited:

josh_johnson11

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
The Sprint Curve 8330 operates its 3G network on 1xEV-DO technology. Depending on where your parents live the issues they are experiencing could be due to availability of network signal. I don't know of any setting to turn your Sprint 3G on/off. Also, the 8330 should say "Qualcomm 3G" on the back - that let's you know that it's 3G-capable.

energizer1389

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Today I played a while with a friends Tour and I have to say I don't regret making the jump to to Android. I've even downloaded files from rapidshare which I'm not sure is possible on a BB browser.

Super27#CB

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Good move. I had the Tour with the OS 5.0 installed, and it still was not even close to the Hero.

I'll tell you, I go through phones pretty quick...in the past two years I've had the T-Mobile Wing, the G1, the iPhone, the Pre, the Tour, and now the Hero. Every other phone I've been able to find a deal-breaker flaw within about two weeks. Still haven't found one with the Hero.

wolf1989#AC

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
I do miss the ability to send txt and emails simultaniously to groups of contacts. Does anyone know if there's a way to do this on my hero?

I answered this in the post you made about it.

I had the tour and was running 5.0 and thought it was great. But now that I've got the hero I don't know if I could go back to blackberry. They would have to have a major over haul.

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I love the Hero, had the Pre for a few months before that, and before that I was a Blackberry user. Like I said, I love the Hero, but I do miss my Blackberry at times...if it had a better internet experience I would even consider using a Tour again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007