Anyone running 2.3?

red.drako

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Hero users? Has anyone looked at the AOSP 2.3 ROM? It's a build off of CM7. Even ahs the same boot screen. No CM nightlies for Hero CDMA that is runnign 2.3 yet, so that's why I picked it.

Personally it doesn't seem that much different from 2.2 so far. My biggest thing so far that makes me appreciate it is the unified themes they have going. Dunno if any of you recall how in the previous versions of CyanogenMod you'd have a stange mix of green & orange highlights. Well now you can have a solid theme of blue or green or orange... sticking with green myself. I'm sing ADW Launcher & the Sense Theme so it's all nice & uniform. :)

So who else is using it? Love it? Hate it? Feel any different to you?

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for posting! I've been debating whether or not to try it. My current Liquid Sense 2.1.1 is working too well to consider changing unless I knew 2.3 was going to be better.

Do you have a BT radio in your car? Or other BT 'audio device' with a status screen? I've been trying to find out if Android 2.3 has improved BT support, in particular for AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Protocol).

I have a JVC car radio that supports AVRCP 1.3 (basic playback controls plus current-title info display) but Android 2.1 only seems to include AVRCP 1.1 (basic playback, e.g. PLAY/PAUSE, FF, RWD). At least, that's all the support I'm getting with my current phone/OS.

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I use CM7 everyday. I run ADW Ex (paid) with the Nexus S Gingerbread (paid) theme and it looks sharp and runs like a friggin' cheetah.

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Not sure yet

I've been running CM6.1 for a while, and I'm not sure I want to go with an experimental build for my primary phone. I just watched a youtube video of a Hero running 2.3, and during the 5 minute display the browser crashed and the camera wouldn't open.

It seemed pretty slick, but unless it's a solid upgrade to CM6.1, I'll wait.

How is it better on the Hero?

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been running CM6.1 for a while, and I'm not sure I want to go with an experimental build for my primary phone. I just watched a youtube video of a Hero running 2.3, and during the 5 minute display the browser crashed and the camera wouldn't open.

It seemed pretty slick, but unless it's a solid upgrade to CM6.1, I'll wait.

How is it better on the Hero?

I run it as my daily driver. Camera and browser are in fine shape. The benefits to CM7 for me:
1. Battery life is better than anything I've used.
2. Stock keyboard is awesome.
3. Phone speed is very quick even with no overclocking
4. CM7 is receiving a ton of support in the development community right now

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm running cm7 right now, and it is quite nice. Not bug free, but I have yet to find any bugs that would keep me from using it.

-----
Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Gingerbread-on-Hero action here!

00r101

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I installed the CM7 nightly this week. It has been extremely stable. Two features that make it very worthwhile are:
1) Overclocking. I am running my Hero at 748Mhz rather than the stock 691. It has been rock solid, does not get too hot and is noticeably snappier. I was on the verge of changing my phone to something faster (I was previously on CM6 RC1) but the new performance allows me to continue to be happy with my aging Hero.
2) They tweaked Wifi tethering with Wifi Tether for Root users. Now my Sprint Galaxy tab sees it as if it were an infrastructure device. This saves me $29.99/month as I can now lose my 3G on the tab.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This saves me $29.99/month as I can now lose my 3G on the tab.

Did you get the Tab on contract? If so, don't you need the data plan to keep it?

Also, the first 2.3 build for the Hero was put out by aosp over on XDA. It was merged with the Cyanogen 7 builds a while back, which is why it has the Cyanogen boot screen/tools. It's a good ROM for daily use as Chef et. al. have already mentioned. The latest CM7 nightly for the Hero is very good and I see nothing but good things from the two ROMs, especially when aosp decides to branch out and build the ROM from Source.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
yep, currently running 2.3 with the Honeycomb mod. In case you're not familiar with it the Honeycomb mod is for ADW.launcher and changes the interface to Honeycomb. I just think it looks cool with the new icons and black Google search bar.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Will this wipe my phone?

More than likely you will need to wipe the phone first to be able to flash the ROM properly. Back up all of your apps on to your SD card and make sure your contacts are synced with Google. Once you've flashed the ROM and got it up and running just restore everything from your SD card. It will ask you to sync your contacts too.

xBOOMx

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
do you have any information on how to root ... im a newbie.. on this ....

if you could do it in 5 mins .. i think that i might be able to do it with ... just a little help.!!!

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
do you have any information on how to root ...
Lots of other posts here (and on XDA Developers) describing how to root the HTC Hero. The quick summary:
1. backup everything you care about on the phone
2. re-run the original 2.1 updater from Sprint (not the newer one; it's harder to root)
3. follow the directions for initially/temporarily gaining root-access to the phone
4. while running as root, install one of the 'developer-mode' boot ROMs (these allow you to reboot the phone in a sort of 're-install' mode)
5. reboot, switch to developer boot-up, install an alternate ROM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair