Hero Won't play videos from Youtube

Colemada

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I switched from a Palm Pre to a Hero and Love the phone. However, I can't seem to get it to play videos from Youtube. I have tried going straight to the website via browser (both stock and dolphin) and when I click on a video to play it it asks how I want to do it, and gives me the option of Youtube, or Flash Player, and no matter which I select it says "cannot play the video". When I try to go through the Youtube installed widget thingy it says the same thing. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your time and help.

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I've had the same problems recently. If I choose to play from Flash Player it will work though. But as far as playing stuff directly from YouTube, it never works.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This is happening to all Sprint HTC Hero's after the last update I believe. Some videos work just fine while a majority of videos don't work.

I saw someone on another Android forum mentioning filling a class action lawsuit for false advertising because even if you go to the Sprint HTC Hero website right now it specifically says ....

"Easy access to Google™ mobile services including Google Search™, Google Maps™, Gmail™, and YouTube™"

I think lawsuit is overreacting a little because realistically, alright its annoying and they need to fix it in the near future but i hardly think YouTube not working is stopping anyone from doing their job such as if a core function of the phone stopped working.

Also, a lot of the issues/questions/comments/concerns have been discussed previously (Like the YouTube issue) so doing a quick search may provide you answers faster. Welcome to the community!

Last edited:

Colemada

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replys guys.

Even when I try to use the flashplayer it says the same thing.

I agree that a lawsuit is taking it far. If it gets them to look into the problem though I am all for it.

energizer1389

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
There has not been one video I haven't been able to watch on the Youtube App. You do have to try several times(at times Ive had to try like 7 times) to make it work but it eventually does. Its better than not working at all. And the Youtube App displays the videos better than flash.

Colemada

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I had that problem at first. I would have to try 5 times to get a video to play, then it got to a point where it wouldn't play any at all. I was thinking there was a cache file I needed to clear or something but I didn't know if the phone was set up like that.

Thanks again for all of your info guys.

I just think that things should work when you pay for them, and if they don't someone should fix the problem. Or at least let us know that they see the problem and are working on it.

MikeMcG

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same problem until I made sure to go to m.youtube.com When using the mobile version, I haven't had one problem watching any videos. I just created a bookmark to the mobile version and put a shortcut to it on the homescreen.

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I've not tried to play them multiple times to be honest. I usually just go straight to Flash after the first failure. Has anyone read the Sprint forums and seen if there is any mention of this problem there?

Ginbill

Oct 30, 2009
ohhjohn.tumblr.com
I've only had videos say they cannot be played a few times but later I tried again on a few and it worked so I was thinking maybe it was a connection problem.

Colemada

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I read somewhere else that if you have one of the task killer apps installed it messes with playback. I didn't believe but was desperate and uninstalled them on my phone along with some stuff that I had installed and then did a restart and all of a sudden it's working like it should.

I don't know if it was the task killer or something else, but when I deleted some stuff it was all gravy. I would say give it a shot.

manicinterlude

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem going to youtube through the Programs menu. I think another poster gave the answer I'm about to give, but just in case anybody is still confused...ignore the youtube icon in Programs entirely. Just pull up the regular old internet, do a youtube search, and click on the youtube link. Never had one fail since.

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Yep, this seems to work. Looks like you have to make sure you enable javascript & run the stock browser. Wouldn't work with dolphin browser.
I had the same problem going to youtube through the Programs menu. I think another poster gave the answer I'm about to give, but just in case anybody is still confused...ignore the youtube icon in Programs entirely. Just pull up the regular old internet, do a youtube search, and click on the youtube link. Never had one fail since.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
There is still no reason that the YouTube app doesn't work properly. I can't stand that I paid money for a device that has an application that I use often and that app is broken. I feel cheated. We need a fix today.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I just found something interesting. If you enable WiFi. For some reason this YouTube application works and is set to play in high quality to start. I still cannot get it to play when WiFi is turned off. However, when I am using WiFi, I cannot vinew videos on the web. That is annoying, and I hope it is fixed. If not, then I am selling my Hero and getting something that works because this is getting ridiculous.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they plan on fixing this before the 2.1 release. There is a supposed update next week, but I don't think this is the target issue, nor is 2.1 coming in that update. However, after playing with the latest Sprint Leak 2.1, it seems pretty ready for prime time. Also, youtube app works just fine in it.

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Trying using "only" wifi - I disconnect the mobile network and have been able to play the videos. This has also happened to my daughter and son-in-law's HTC on Verizon as well.

wolf1989#AC

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
I just use the m.YouTube.com. Yes its irritating the app doesn't work but did you PAY for that app? I've never had a problem with the mobile site.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user