Might be buying a Hero tomorrow...any advice??

davidg4781

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I've been ready for an upgrade for over a year now and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I'm almost 100% sure I want a Pre, but I'm very tempted by the Hero.

Some background...my first smartphone was a Treo 650 and I've been a Palm fan ever since (wanted a Palm PDA before that, but waited for the Treo). I went to the 700 (not much of an upgrade) and when nothing was heard from Palm, I switched to the Curve when it launched. While it's a nice phone, it just doesn't have all the coolness of a Palm device. I was bored with it after a day or two, while even after a year with my Treos, I was still in love with them.

While the Hero has a good app catalog (I know Palm's is coming, and there's a lot of Homebrew apps, so that's not really an issue) and they have a pretty "hip" OS, from what I've read, it doesn't have any of the hardware issues the Pre has had. That, along with the smaller keyboard may keep me from the Pre. I am going to really play with them both tomorrow after work, so I should be able to decide then.

Is there anything I need to look for if I do decide to buy one? Any special build dates or anything I should check for before walking out of the store? Anything else to help solidify my decision?

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I had a Pre before I traded it in for the Hero. The main problem with the Pre is the piss poor battery life. You will be lucky to get 3 hours before you need to charge it. The Hero will at least get you thru a 8 hour day before it shows in the yellow. I did like the Pre and could have lived with it if the battery lasted longer than it did.

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
there's alot of people on here that traded Pre's for their hero's. I had palms before I had my hero, I don't know how the pre is, i dind't really consider it, but I love my hero, probably the closest you can get to an iPhone right now, which I had before my hero

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I will add this...I'm a huge Apple fanboi. If Sprint had an iPhone, I wouldn't even consider anything else.

Then get the Hero. I own currently a iPhone 3G and my wife has a 3Gs. The Hero is the closest thing on Sprint to an iPhone. It in my mind is better than a iPhone due to the fact that you would have to jailbreak an iPhone to get any where to multi tasking ability of the Hero and that will slow the iPhone down. The Hero is not as fast as the Pre (I believe the Pre has the same processor as the 3Gs) but it is more than functional especially of you never had one of the faster phones. Go and play with the phones but keep in mind the battery life of the phones.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Personally I would wait. There are a few new Android phones coming to the market. The HTC Supersonic is rumored to be coming to Sprint, and today the Nexus One rumor hit. The HTC A9292 WiMAX candybar phone is listed in the Sprints line-up. What we don't know is when or if it might be the same as the HTC Supersonic.

If you can't wait, I say go with the Hero, the Pre feels way to fragile for my tastes.

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
oh ya there are quite a few things I like about the hero better than I did my iPhone, I miss the games you had on the iPhone but there hero looks and runs better IMO. ERDude is right though, unless you can't wait I would wait and check out what will be coming to sprint soon

fusiondj

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm a former Pre owner and after I had taken it back for the fourth return due to numerous reasons such as the freezing and not being able to hear without the use of an earpiece I finally switched to the Hero and although I like multitasking with the Pre I love the Hero. So I suggest go get the Hero. You will not regret it.

jmart603

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been ready for an upgrade for over a year now and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I'm almost 100% sure I want a Pre, but I'm very tempted by the Hero.

Some background...my first smartphone was a Treo 650 and I've been a Palm fan ever since (wanted a Palm PDA before that, but waited for the Treo). I went to the 700 (not much of an upgrade) and when nothing was heard from Palm, I switched to the Curve when it launched. While it's a nice phone, it just doesn't have all the coolness of a Palm device. I was bored with it after a day or two, while even after a year with my Treos, I was still in love with them.

While the Hero has a good app catalog (I know Palm's is coming, and there's a lot of Homebrew apps, so that's not really an issue) and they have a pretty "hip" OS, from what I've read, it doesn't have any of the hardware issues the Pre has had. That, along with the smaller keyboard may keep me from the Pre. I am going to really play with them both tomorrow after work, so I should be able to decide then.

Is there anything I need to look for if I do decide to buy one? Any special build dates or anything I should check for before walking out of the store? Anything else to help solidify my decision?

my advice is wait till sprint releases their next high end android device in a month or two...ie supersonic...

you don't want to be stuck with the hero for another year or two

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I had a Pre, currently a proud owner of the Hero... My advice: wait. The Hero is nice and all, and i do love the fact that it doesn't fall apart by staring at it, but there are some badass devices coming soon. The supersonic looks like it will be amazing. I checked out the preliminary stats of it on-line today, and as long as they don't restrict the sale of it to cities with 4g service, it should be a great phone. You won't be able to fully use the wimax tech if you're not in those cities, but if you live in a metropolitan area, it should be coming to you shortly, definitely before any of the other 3 carriers bring out their 4g service.
It will run the latest and greatest, have the newest tech, and preliminary prices are around $199, only $20 more than the Hero for much more phone. I'm excited about it, and even more happy ATT is last at getting an Android device, but thats a different discussion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12