SMS Issue

Trav102

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
I had the exact same problem. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just my phone. Once I got the alert from BofA, the only way I could fix it was to do a hard reset and go into BofA account and disable text alerts. I tried deleting all the threads and restarting, but unfortunately a hard reset was the only way to correct it.

inline325i#AC

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't send it back to Sprint just yet. Something tells me this is not a hardware bug.

So that's 3 folks with the bug, all getting texts from BoA. I can confirm I do not see this issue with txt alerts from Chase, Twitter, Facebook, E-Trade and Mastercard - all of which use short style callback numbers for their SMS services.

Is anyone getting alerts from BoA and NOT getting this bug?
Is anyone getting this bug and NOT using BoA alerts?

This sounds like the fix may be easier than hunting the bug lol. What could really help:
Meangreengdub - keep your online alerts off for BoA, reboot your phone. See if you still get issues

inline325i - each time you get a text from BoA, send a test text to anyone. Make sure you see the error. Delete the txt thread from BoA, send another text, see if you get the error.

ANYONE ELSE who would like to participate, and using Handcent - try adding BoA to the built in blacklist in Handcent. See if you see any difference.

I'm emailing a link to this thread to a friend who may be able to pass this on to the right people. I'm also going to cross post on the Sprint Community forums, they have a bug list there that HTC and Sprint support are actively monitoring.

I WOULD recommend anyone with this issue contact Sprint and report the bug, politely and honestly. I'm sure a fix will come, but for now let's try to find a work around. Maybe I'm chasing ghosts here (wouldn't be the first time) but the more WE can find out the less work for HTC and a faster fix.

gbhil-thanks for the reply. I have tried sending text to another contact which works UNTIl they send a text back....it is at that time when it groups it under the BOA when i reply it sends to BOA an NOT the contact that txt'd back. I reformatted phone once but recently got a alert txt again from BOA, now same problem....

I have disabled the SMS alerts from BOA but just hate to reformat phone again. Sounds like that may be what i need to do and then leave alerts from BOA off so it doesn't cause the problem again.

Thanks again for the reply. Appreciate all the suggestions....Coming over from the PRE I am still happy with the HERO :)

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I had the exact same problem. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just my phone. Once I got the alert from BofA, the only way I could fix it was to do a hard reset and go into BofA account and disable text alerts. I tried deleting all the threads and restarting, but unfortunately a hard reset was the only way to correct it.

More great info. Sounds like the BoA texts really are the culprit here. Will know more tomorrow, as I'm going to open a savings acct at BoA to play with it :)

I went ahead and did a hard reset, everything seems to be working fine now. Weird.

By hard reset, do you mean battery pull then reboot or did you wipe the phone and reset?

gbhil-thanks for the reply. I have tried sending text to another contact which works UNTIl they send a text back....it is at that time when it groups it under the BOA when i reply it sends to BOA an NOT the contact that txt'd back. I reformatted phone once but recently got a alert txt again from BOA, now same problem....

I have disabled the SMS alerts from BOA but just hate to reformat phone again. Sounds like that may be what i need to do and then leave alerts from BOA off so it doesn't cause the problem again.

Thanks again for the reply. Appreciate all the suggestions....Coming over from the PRE I am still happy with the HERO :)

Just so I'm clear:
  1. Get txt from BoA
  2. Delete txt from BoA, and it's no longer in your rec'd messages list
  3. Send a txt to a contact
  4. Get reply from contact

Does the reply start a new thread, with BoA as the sender?

Or does it come to the correct place in your message list, but your reply goes out to BoA?

And you're quite welcome. IMO this is the best non-GSM phone in the world (at least for a few weeks lol) and something I've been waiting on for a year. Any little things we can do to make it flawless are more than worth it to me. And of course, when you're the one with the bug they seem HUGE, but the issues at launch with the Hero are actually much simpler than I expected.

inline325i#AC

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
Get an alert via sms from BoA. Detele the sms from BoA. After which sms now replies to BoA

ie.......Get SMS alert from BoA... Delete SMS.....Get a text from contact...John Doe..when trying to REPLY to contact SMS Replies to oninlebanking@bankofamerica.com NOT to the contact that sent the SMS...Hope that explains it some...not the best explanation but maybe that will help identify problem...

If I want to reply to contacts sms I have to go to send new SMS and select them and then it will send...if i just try to reply it replies to BoA each time....

I too tried the same technique Trav102 did shown above but to no avail....had to do a factory reset to correct.....

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys. One more question - do these texts have ANY type of callback number, or are they only from a xxx@BoA.com style address? I'm trying to find an Android dev of some sort with a BoA account to try to debug the whole issue, but not having much success. Hopefully I'll have a "dummy" acct with 5 bucks in it that I can use to share the actual text content and network info sometime tomorrow.

Also FYI - Users at Sprint Community Forums that report this issue are using BoA's messaging features as well. Have yet to find a single person getting the bug and NOT using BoA. About to start Tweeting the URL to this thread. Hope it draws someone who can help.

anon(1924)

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hey folks,
Same issues. Different bank. My outgoing text messages, when sent from the messed up threaded view, go to onlinebanking@###.com. That's my bank. No messages from then any more on my Hero. But they are probably getting some text messages from me that are pretty casual to be sending to a bank!? What gives? I've jiggled the handle and everything.

Last edited:

dannzeman

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
The text from BoA is an email that I have sent to my phone number @messaging.sprintpcs.com
If I delete the thread using the stock Messaging app or Handcent or chompSMS and start a new thread with either Handcent or chompSMS the name will come up as BoA no matter who I send it to. But if I look in the stock Messaging app the name will display correctly. If I send out multiple texts to different people it will group them all together. Even the relies will get grouped together.
The only way to fix the threading problem is to hard reset the device.

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
gbhil, I wiped the phone and did a complete reset restoring it to factory settings like I just pulled it out of the box. Fortunately, all my contacts had synced with Google and I've only had the phone one day so I didn't lose any info. Thanks for all your help.

Like inline, I'm also coming from a Pre and I'm still happy. Much better than the Pre IMO.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey folks,
Same issues.

*EDIT*.

Just read your post over at Sprint *EDIT* thanks for the input!

*EDIT*

But if I look in the stock Messaging app the name will display correctly. If I send out multiple texts to different people it will group them all together. Even the relies will get grouped together.
The only way to fix the threading problem is to hard reset the device.

*EDIT*

Last edited:

anon(1924)

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
A hard reset. A really, really hard reset.

gbhil,
Thanks for your efforts on this issue and notifying the powers that be. Let's hope that sms stands for "solution made simple".
And gbhil, what about installed apps before I wipe it clean? I'll forgo all the kings horses and all the kings men if Backup Pro will put it all back together again... for 4 or 5 bucks. I've got a couple paid apps installed and all the other contact/calendar stuff in there of course. Once again, kudos goes right to you for all the help.

...or should I wait for an update? Hmmm...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
gbhil,
Thanks for your efforts on this issue and notifying the powers that be. Let's hope that sms stands for "solution made simple".
And gbhil, what about installed apps before I wipe it clean? I'll forgo all the kings horses and all the kings men if Backup Pro will put it all back together again... for 4 or 5 bucks. I've got a couple paid apps installed and all the other contact/calendar stuff in there of course. Once again, kudos goes right to you for all the help.

...or should I wait for an update? Hmmm...

No problem. Lets hope "whoever" can reproduce it as easy as I could ;)

Paid apps can be reinstalled for free from the market. When you wipe and log back on with the same Google username, the market does remember all purchases on your account. I had to use it 4 times last night lol.

For contacts and calendar - if they are gmail contacts/cal sync them before you wipe. If they are Exchange or Outlook, do a sync then check to see if all is ok on your server or PC. If you have both like I do, sync both google and Exchange/Outlook. For Outlook, one safeguard - export the Cal and contacts as .CSV files. Zip them into a file and mail it to your gmail acct. DONT OPEN THE ZIP FILE IN GMAIL! It's there as a just in case you can't sync back to your desktop, you could make a NEW gmail acct and export them so you have record while you troubleshoot. I do this every week just in case lol.

Backup Pro probably saves other databases, I've heard good stuff about it. Would probably save you some time setting everything back up, but I don't think it's essential for most users. If you do use it, make sure NOT to back up your messaging database, or you just might see this all over again :)

One last note - I was asked to edit out the method to reproduce this bug. If you think about it, imagine the trouble that could be done to an unsuspecting victim. For all of our sake I do agree with that as well.

tmoney#AC

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Sprint HTC Hero and Bank of America text alerts. I guess I'll undue the B.O.A text alerts and do a hard reset untill a better fix is found. Thanks.

dgpete

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Al,

I have been struggling with this for two weeks now and after a bit of research I have found the OFFICIAL info about this:

This seems to have been a KNOWN issue for over a YEAR by the Google Code team!!!! Seems that when 1.6 came out it was "solved" but DEFINITELY NOT for us new Sprint HTC Hero customers.. it IS the Bank of America email/sms BUT there are other sources and it WILL come back after a hard reset if you receive another corrupting email.. maybe not from B of A if you stop the alerts but LinkedIN and others can cause it.. I have it and worked for a few days with the developers of Handcent (GREAT GUYS) but no solution to the problem yet... maybe if I rooted the phone but I don't want to do that with my new Hero.. anyway, HERE is the Code discussion and the thread seems ot point to the iea that they are no longer interested cause it is "Solved" for 1.6 which leaves us Sprint customers in the lurch.....

Issue 1233 - android - Messaging application corrupted by incoming MMS, begins merging threads, sends to wrong recipients - Project Hosting on Google Code

my post is at the bottom ... maybe you guys would like to add a few posts AND talk to HTC about a fix OR a Hurry UP for new version....

Best,

Doug

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11