GPS is WAY off

jaded

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
When I open Google maps my GPS locates me in central Mexico even though I am in San Antonio Texas. Sometimes it works. I watched it move "my location" all the way north in huge jumps until it zero'ed in once but now it seems to just think I'm south o' the border.

Any ideas, suggestions?

P.S. about half the time it finds me just fine.

barkerja

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
If you're indoors it can take a while to lock onto a GPS signal (anywhere from 30 secs to a couple of minutes). Initially before the GPS locks on it's using the towers to guess where you through triangulation, sometimes this can be very accurate other times it can be way off, it all depends on various things (like how many towers your phone can see, the signal, etc.)

Do you see the same problem when outdoors? If standing outdoors with clear line of sight to the sky it shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds for GPS to acquire a solid lock.

KyleBuch

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem.... indoors, outdoors... Only solution I have found short of taking it to the Sprint store which is an hour away is a battery pull...

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
make sure you have enable GPS satellites check marked under the location in settings if you havent already.

exactly ... from home screen ... menu / settings / location & security / check the box for "use GPS satellites"

beautiful widgets has a nifty widget to switch this off / on (for battery conservation - GPS uses lots o' battery)

jaded

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I had a family thing so I haven't been able to check this thread. I haven't been able to test the indoor/outdoor thing yet but I will the next time I get the error. My memory wants to say that it happens everywhere but my memory is notoriously unreliable.

I do have satellites enabled. I also found a google app called GPS status but it requires a login that I am going to mess with after I post this thread if it has info that may help I'll post it.

Thanks for the help. Sorry to hear Im not the only one with this issue but its probably just my tinted windows or something goofy