Dust Under the Screen...

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, it was only of matter of time i guess...

Happened to my blackberry pearl, blackberry curve, motorola q, motorola q9c, HTC touch Pro and now my HTC Hero. I HAVE DUST UNDER MY SCREEN!!!!!

I work in an office, not construction, rarely carry the phone in my pocket simply trying to avoid getting dust under the screen.

I dont have a digital camera so i cant take pictures but i have about 30 pieces of dust coming in from the upper right hand corner downward and about 10 pieces of dust coming in from the lower left hand corner upward.

Starts the same way every time with all the phones listed above, dust starts creeping in through a corner and within a couple of months the screen is almost un-useable in sunlight due to all the dust under the screen.

I am still within my 30 days so i'll wait until the end of that 30 days to see how bad it gets but either way i will exchange this phone.

P.S. I'm using one of the first 50,000 built phones (non "with google")

phiqtion

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a "with Google" hero and one of the best features these builds have is a "anti-dust" filter located at the top and bottom of the speaker and mic.

...seriously, you should just return the phone before 30 days are up, we have no known methods here on how to remove dust from inside the screen.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have a "with Google" hero and one of the best features these builds have is a "anti-dust" filter located at the top and bottom of the speaker and mic.

...seriously, you should just return the phone before 30 days are up, we have no known methods here on how to remove dust from inside the screen.

Can you please provide some documentation (links) on these anti-dust filters because i have not heard anything about them yet due to my current situation, am extremely interested.

Wiseguy158

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I know it really doesn't have anything to do w/ your issue - but for any iPhone fanboys reading these forums, my buddy had just returned an iPhone because of dust under his screen as well.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes where did you see the newer builds with the anti dust filters. I have a few pieces of dust under my screen and if thas true then back mine goes for a replacement.

aanekal

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm also curious about the newer builds and anti dust filters. Also, do you pay a restocking fee ($35) to Sprint if you go in for a replacement of the same phone?

znoblebb#AC

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
if you are within your first 30 days (of course you would with the Hero, if your device is defective and you are exchanging it out for a new Hero we do not charge the $35 restock fee. However, if you are within 30 days and are exchanging your Hero for another device, or another device for the Hero the charge does incur. Also, this is not listed in the "known issues" as i work at a service store and we're usually notified of stuff like this, but im sure you would have no problem if you have dust under the screen with us echanging it out for you. But, i can see this definitly being one of the first "known issues" if it gets bigger. Right now the only one is the EV-DO rev 0 labeling thing

Tikerz

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
if you are within your first 30 days (of course you would with the Hero, if your device is defective and you are exchanging it out for a new Hero we do not charge the $35 restock fee. However, if you are within 30 days and are exchanging your Hero for another device, or another device for the Hero the charge does incur. Also, this is not listed in the "known issues" as i work at a service store and we're usually notified of stuff like this, but im sure you would have no problem if you have dust under the screen with us echanging it out for you. But, i can see this definitly being one of the first "known issues" if it gets bigger. Right now the only one is the EV-DO rev 0 labeling thing

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised the 100% awake time issue isn't a "known issue".

vblok0910#WP

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issue Ive already had my hero replaced once under 30 day return policy through sprint which by the way was a hassle,rep tried telling me "all touch screen phone do this" a couple days later same result dust under display, I called htc twice in a row they have no idea what i'm talking about as far as a known issue of this. For me on the top right of the display thats where it looks like the dust has been coming through. So i put a piece of scotch tape just barley covering the the glass on one side connecting to the housing of the front cover of the phone and it seems to be working as far as blocking future dust from getting inside. Not the prettiest way to fix it but if you have a hard case over it you could barley tell. Anyone else have any ideas?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I tried to deal with the dust but yesterday I got even more dust under my screen. Only thing I can think of was being in my pocket maybe causes the screen to push in and let dust it, since that is when it only happens. I took mine back to best buy and did a exchange no problem. But if it happens again I'm switching to the moment. I can risk beong past my 30 days and having a phone filled with dust.

themyst

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
My first Hero had a few flecks of dust gathering underneath the glass. I had to return it due to dead pixels, but I am wondering what should I do to keep my replacement Hero dust-free?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
My second hero had a handful of dead pixels. I had to return it to best buy. At first the girl was skeptical but after she looked she more tham happily replaced it with a new one. I got one "with Google" on it. Build date 10/21/2009. Hopefully this one is better. I tested for dead pixels before leaving and so far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This truely is a great device I'm willing to sticck it out.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
IMHO I would. I thought about not doing a return for a few dead pixels. But after noticing them on the boot up screen I noticed them on all dark screens. I personally feel like i paid for a phone that works like it should. I am willing to put up with a few bugs and glitches. It happens to all phones. But hardware wise I expect it to work like it should. If the screen already has dead
pixels how many more could it suffer from later on. That's why I returned mine. I would suggest you do the same. You paid for a phone that works. That's what you should have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome