Apps running in background after i exit them?

joek71#AC

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys

I noticed that if i dont use the app to kill running apps after i exit them they are still running in the background is this normal for the Android? I am coming from Pre so not sure if they are killed when exited.

Thanks

SkottM

Oct 18, 2009
trippinskott.blogspot.com
I use an app called TasKiller. It's pretty sweet. You can choose which apps to kill from the program itself, or you can even place a widget on one of your screens and if you press it, it will kill EVERYTHING that the phone is doing, even the radio. So the phone will restart, fresh. It's pretty dope. Give it a try.

SkottM

Oct 18, 2009
I don't think there's a third part app that will make your applications fully close whenever you exit them. That's why there are third party app killers, like the one I told you about. If there were an application like you describe, everyone would have it, or Google or HTC would have just put that into the OS in the first place. Right?

joek71#AC

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
That i agree, i am just coming from the Pre, so thats why i am asking, cause tech speaking if the apps are running in the background after you are done with them they start to eat at the memory.

SkottM

Oct 18, 2009
You're correct they do start to take the memory down a notch or two... I wish there was a live graph or chart to show what's taking the most memory, sort of like how Donut is supposed to come with a built-in application for battery-sucking-applications. It tells you which apps are killing the battery the most. Just like that, except for RAM. That'd be nice.

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Most apps exit either by selecting their Quit option (if there is one) or if you use the Back button to get back to the Home screen.

Otherwise Android manages the memory for you and closed the apps as it needs to.

I stopped using a task killer - uninstalled it completely - and have noticed no difference to performance now than when I was fastidiously killing everything I didn't need.

Dave

SkottM

Oct 18, 2009
Most apps exit either by selecting their Quit option (if there is one) or if you use the Back button to get back to the Home screen.

Otherwise Android manages the memory for you and closed the apps as it needs to.

I stopped using a task killer - uninstalled it completely - and have noticed no difference to performance now than when I was fastidiously killing everything I didn't need.

Dave

Well I don't think Android closes applications whenever you simply hit the back button, and you go back to the home screen. Like I said earlier, I use an app called TasKiller, and whenever I "back out" or games, or apps like Sprint Navigation or Pandora are still running according to my TasKiller. So maybe Android does close things that haven't been used in a while, or if it notices what isn't needed, but I don't think it kills them by using the "back" button...

alottabull

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting observations here. I haven't got my Hero yet but I was using my wife's yesterday, no telling how many apps she has still running now! I was mainly using the Home key to exit out of things. So I guess the question I have is "What is the proper way to exit an application?". I would assume there should be some sort of common (across the entire OS) way to exit an application and have the application actually shutdown and release memory, not use battery, etc.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
In theory, Android will let things run in the bg that may be needed for other apps. Things like peep and SprintNav might be used for location services, etc. When memory is needed for new apps these are supposed to terminate.

Appears to be working just fine here. No real difference in preformance with letting apps run vs. killing them once they are "closed".

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Keyword is supposed to terminate. I've noticed that this isn't always the case and have installed TaskPanel X and set it up to auto kill every 30 minutes.

I think a lot of the problems we're seeing is due in part to the back porting of CDMA capabilities into Android 1.5, hopefully the fix everyone is talking about is the release of 1.6 or even better 2.0 now that Verizon is getting it on their Droid phone.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
LOL. Yes, supposed to. Of course not everything runs as it should, especially as you said Android with CDMA radio services is a brand new baby.

What we need for the time being is a list from HTC of apps that need to run to support other functions, and what functions they support. Things like killing peep making the weather widget go blank, etc. could be avoided if we knew what app needed what app to run. Doubt we will see it though, as HTC is pretty protective of SenseUI.

Myself, I'd rather see 1.5 patched to work before we move on to 1.6 or 2.0 . This way bugs would be easier to track for devs and updates would roll out faster. Of course I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but Devs at HTC, Moto, Sprint, Verizon, Samsung and Google could be working together to fix all the new issues with CDMA functions in the same version rather than splintering up the fixes across 3 versions.

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
ER Dude, I took your tip about Task Panel and ignored those certain programs you recommended and also set it to auto kill every 30 mins. Does the ignore list mean it WILL NOT kill those certain apps every 30 mins? In other words, those on the ignore list are needed to keep the phone going?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac