HTC Hero Update 2.1

XIPHONER

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Got this email last night from sprint
"As of now, we don?t have any update regarding the update of the HTC Hero above 1.5. However, we are actively working on having the Android 2.1 platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the coming weeks.
We encourage you to watch news reports or monitor our web site to see if
a change in availability occurs."

Hmmm, Maybe something soon?

MSK01

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
It better be. The Hero's kinda out-dated in the phone world now so at least they aren't forgetting about us.

XIPHONER

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I think sprint knows we all want this update........just a feeling in how fast they responded to that email i sent them.......Fingers crossed for end of month update!!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Trust me, the wait is well worth it. If you can't wait, root and try the damagecontrol rom. It really is amazing. It is all around, a much faster ROM.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Not as fast as Gumbo 1.5c or an AOSP ROM. But it is faster than stock.

DamageControl Definitely seems faster than Gumbo 1.5c (both with sense UI versions). Damage is using the Gumbo Kernal if I'm not mistaken. It zooms, everything. The browser is faster, things load up instantly, keyboard has no lag. Its awesome. I love the bluetooth file transfer, ordered a usb dongle for my desktop.

bruceleroyjr

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
About the 2.1 update from Sprint, can I still update my HTC Hero if I rooted my phone? For instance, I rooted my HTC Hero, however, I didn't install any custom ROM like Fresh or DamageControl. I left the stock Sprint 1.5 ROM installed and I just installed SetCPU to overclock my phone. Because I didn't change the ROM, can I still install the upcoming 2.1 update with no problems or do I have to unroot my phone to get it back to the old format? Thank you =)

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Well...with the announcement of the Nexus One coming to Sprint...the Hero and the Moment are both going to need something to will still intrigue potential buyers. They will be left in the dust if the Nexus One drops with 2.1 and they are still with outdated OS versions.

I plan on getting the Nexus One regardless.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
The intrigue to potential buyers is the PRICE point (because potential buyers aren't people like us anymore, we either got the Moment or Hero when it first came out, not six months after).

With the Moment currently at 99.99 and the Hero at 149.99, that is what catches non-nerds eyes first. Once they lock into the idea of how cheap they can get an Android device, the sales rep has to REALLY be on their game to talk them into a Nexus One or HTC Supersonic which might cost more than double either of those fones.

I've also heard late March as a possible time frame for the updates, but it goes back and forth as being the Hero or the Moment. Remember, these are all probable dates and hanging onto them as gospel only gets you disappointed and angry (usually at Sprint, which might be misdirected at times, other times completely justified).

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
2.1 on March 23rd would be great (early b-day present for me) but I won't load it until its been rooted. I will not go without my Apps2SD support.

jwilcox09

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Hooray for 2.1 I hope its soon too. Do the people who've rooted to 2.1 notice a battery life improvement?

... I just switched to the Hero from the BB Tour and love it...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Hooray for 2.1 I hope its soon too. Do the people who've rooted to 2.1 notice a battery life improvement?

... I just switched to the Hero from the BB Tour and love it...

No, its worse battery, but not at the fault of 2.1. Its not running any battery saver software, my phone tends to stay awake almost 100%, its reporting 50% time without a signal, and the screen doesn't autodim. Surprisingly, with all these things going against it, I still get 2 days out of it with my 3500mAh battery.
The time without a signal kinda has a fix, turning it to airplane mode then back on to receive signal seems to do the trick (doesn't report any time without signal), but the debate on battery life on it is still out. You have to do it with every reboot, and I forget.
The only other annoying thing is that throughout the course of a day, I can watch the memory climb pretty fast. I bought cachemate, and that seems to take it back down about 20MB, but I shouldn't have to do that daily, and it shouldn't be giving me that much back. Oh well, its still my favorite ROM out right now because I can use my pharmacology software on it.

jwilcox09

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
No, its worse battery, but not at the fault of 2.1. Its not running any battery saver software, my phone tends to stay awake almost 100%, its reporting 50% time without a signal, and the screen doesn't autodim. Surprisingly, with all these things going against it, I still get 2 days out of it with my 3500mAh battery.
The time without a signal kinda has a fix, turning it to airplane mode then back on to receive signal seems to do the trick (doesn't report any time without signal), but the debate on battery life on it is still out. You have to do it with every reboot, and I forget.
The only other annoying thing is that throughout the course of a day, I can watch the memory climb pretty fast. I bought cachemate, and that seems to take it back down about 20MB, but I shouldn't have to do that daily, and it shouldn't be giving me that much back. Oh well, its still my favorite ROM out right now because I can use my pharmacology software on it.

Thanks a lot for that info. I think i'll probably just root to Gumbo for now until 2.1!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm