HTC Hero and Windows 7?

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
So I've had Windows 7 full release for awhile now (university offered it for free to engineering students) and it was only fully released this past week. Whenever I go to sync my Hero with my PC using HTC Sync, not only does the program not read my phone, but when I go to reinstall it, it says "Error: Couldn't install drivers"... what the hell does that mean? Has anyone who has Windows 7 gotten HTC Sync to work on their PC?

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
My bet is the drivers aren't compatible with Windows 7 yet. Have you tried going to the HTC.com site and checking out support?

Kinda, lol I'm gonna try again now, but yeah, I don't think official drivers have been released.. has anyone found a workaround to this problem yet? It's odd how HTC hasn't released drivers yet when Windows 7 is fully released now..

EDIT: So htc.com is down right now, hopefully their either putting up the US ROM update for HTC Hero or Win7 drivers (my hopes are high :)).

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1.Download latest sync tool from HTC, HTC sync 2.04

2.Install the downloaded program on the computer. At this moment, your computer still unable to recognize the HTC Hero.

3.Manually update the HTC drivers from Windows 7, using the Vista drivers by installing HTC Sync software on a machine running Vista and then copying the drivers (androidusb.cat, androidusb.inf, androidusb.sys, htcrndis.cat, htcrndis.inf and WdfCoInstaller01007.dll in HTC Drivers folder) over to the Windows 7 machine.

Or get a friend with a Vista Machine to send them to you. ;)

4.Extract the driver into a folder. For example, %SystemDrive%:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x64 (for the Windows 7 64-bit) or %SystemDrive%:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x86 (for the Windows 7 32-bit)

5.Go to Devices
Update the driver (accessible from Properties -> Hardware tab) for incorrectly installed Phone from the Devices and Printers menu in Windows? Start Menu, by selecting the copied driver location from above.

6.The HTC Hero phone should now displayed as ?My HTC?, and will be able to sync with Windows 7.

This worked for me.

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
1.Download latest sync tool from HTC, HTC sync 2.04

2.Install the downloaded program on the computer. At this moment, your computer still unable to recognize the HTC Hero.

3.Manually update the HTC drivers from Windows 7, using the Vista drivers by installing HTC Sync software on a machine running Vista and then copying the drivers (androidusb.cat, androidusb.inf, androidusb.sys, htcrndis.cat, htcrndis.inf and WdfCoInstaller01007.dll in HTC Drivers folder) over to the Windows 7 machine.

Or get a friend with a Vista Machine to send them to you. ;)

4.Extract the driver into a folder. For example, %SystemDrive%:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x64 (for the Windows 7 64-bit) or %SystemDrive%:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x86 (for the Windows 7 32-bit)

5.Go to Devices
Update the driver (accessible from Properties -> Hardware tab) for incorrectly installed Phone from the Devices and Printers menu in Windows? Start Menu, by selecting the copied driver location from above.

6.The HTC Hero phone should now displayed as ?My HTC?, and will be able to sync with Windows 7.

This worked for me.

Okay, I understood and did the first 4 steps, but I can't seem to figure out step 6...how do I update the drivers the way it says to? I can't seem to figure that out...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I understood and did the first 4 steps, but I can't seem to figure out step 6...how do I update the drivers the way it says to? I can't seem to figure that out...

Right click on My computer - Properties - Advanced system settings - Hardware Tab - Device manager will get you there also I think. I'm not at my Win7 machine so I'm going off of memory a bit. The Device Manager is what you're trying to get to. If all else fails, Start button, search device manager.

In the device manager (I do believe it's incorrectly under Printers at first, at least on my machine it was) look for ANdroid Phone with a warning triangle overlay. Right click and update the driver. Probably will have to reboot. New correct driver will be in device manager under Android USB Devices, named My HTC.

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Right click on My computer - Properties - Advanced system settings - Hardware Tab - Device manager will get you there also I think. I'm not at my Win7 machine so I'm going off of memory a bit. The Device Manager is what you're trying to get to. If all else fails, Start button, search device manager.

In the device manager (I do believe it's incorrectly under Printers at first, at least on my machine it was) look for ANdroid Phone with a warning triangle overlay. Right click and update the driver. Probably will have to reboot. New correct driver will be in device manager under Android USB Devices, named My HTC.

Doesn't work...the phone is under the Disk drives tab and it doesn't have an yellow triangle next to it, so when I go to update driver, it says latest driver is installed, Disk Drive...

Also, the name of the phone is "HTC Android Phone USB Device" under the Disk drives tab.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe uninstalling it, reboot and interrupt the PnP and point the install to the Vista drivers.

It's also possible that there will be some differences between the official Win7 and my RC version.

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Maybe uninstalling it, reboot and interrupt the PnP and point the install to the Vista drivers.

It's also possible that there will be some differences between the official Win7 and my RC version.

Yeah, I'll give that a try in the morning, but thanks for all your help man.

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Keep us all updated. I'll look at my PC tomorrow at work as well, and see if I missed anything.

Alright, I'm trying it again right now, hopefully it works this time. I won't be able to connect my Hero to my PC right now as I don't have my cable with me, but I'm going to try everything else and see if that all works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze