Multiple Gmail accounts?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I could have swore i saw a thread on this before and i dug through 8 pages and tried a search to no avail so i apologize in advance if this is a repeat.

Can you have more than 1 Gmail account on your Hero? If so how do i do it? I appreciate your help.

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I found this over at the Phandroid forum.

"you can have at least 4 by treating each gmail account as a separate mail protocol.

1. setup as Gmail account on your hero.
2. setup another Gmail account as IMAP.
3. setup another as Exchange activesync. (Mail, Calendar, & Contacts Setup : Set Up Your iPhone or iPod Touch - Mobile Help). directions are for iphone, but the configuration is the same.
4. setup up the final one as POP 3.

careful with the polling rates as i'm sure you can kill the battery pretty fast this way. you'll only get mail sync and not contact and calendar with IMAP and POP 3."

natrixgli

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I thought about taking a slightly different approach of creating a Gmail account just for my phone, and running all the email accounts I wanted to check through that account via POP3. That way I'd only have one inbox to check on my phone.

Another benefit of this is that not everyone you email in Gmail appears as a contact on your phone.

The downside is that Gmail polls external accounts at pretty wide intervals, sometimes up to an hour. Perhaps a better option would be forwarding mail as it arrives to the "phone" Gmail account.

-n8

esoteric1311

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Try seven. Its an android app in beta phases and you can have multiple accounts. It provides push email, but you can set quiet times for times you don't want email pushed to your phone. Handles yahoo, hotmail, gmail, exchange servers...

community.seven.com on your phone browsers. Choose either magic or g1.

alex737

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
What I do is have 1 master gmail acct. I then have the other accts checked by that 1 primary acct. They come in with tags to let you know which one and you can send from all accts. Works well for me

AndroidFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

"you can have at least 4 by treating each gmail account as a separate mail protocol.

3. setup another as Exchange activesync. (Mail, Calendar, & Contacts Setup : Set Up Your iPhone or iPod Touch - Mobile Help). directions are for iphone, but the configuration is the same.

careful with the polling rates as i'm sure you can kill the battery pretty fast this way. you'll only get mail sync and not contact and calendar with IMAP and POP 3."

i don't see why there is a maximum of four gmail accts

i have several gmail accts - of the ones that i want to see from my cell phone, two i've set up via IMAP, and one as EAS, and none as POP

(oh.. don't forget my "primary" - i've set that one up in the OEM/gmail app - calendar and contacts come from that acct too)

i think the best interpretation of the quoted statement is that there a maximum of four "ways" to connect to your various gmail accounts

i don't know of ANY upward limit of accounts you can connect to

does anybody else??

davidpnola

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
What I do is have 1 master gmail acct. I then have the other accts checked by that 1 primary acct. They come in with tags to let you know which one and you can send from all accts. Works well for me

Alex737: Would you elaborate on how to do this please? Thanks.

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I thought about taking a slightly different approach of creating a Gmail account just for my phone, and running all the email accounts I wanted to check through that account via POP3. That way I'd only have one inbox to check on my phone.

Another benefit of this is that not everyone you email in Gmail appears as a contact on your phone.

The downside is that Gmail polls external accounts at pretty wide intervals, sometimes up to an hour. Perhaps a better option would be forwarding mail as it arrives to the "phone" Gmail account.

-n8

That's what I do. I have multiple gmail accounts, a school account, several for domains that I own etc. Everything gets forwarded to my main gmail account, then I can reply if I so choose using an alias in Gmail so it shows up as the other accounts. As far as I know the reply as feature is not supported in Android, but it's not something I use often.

Angelo921

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site

Is there a benefit from setting up my Gmail account as an Exchange activesync rather then IMAP?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21