Hero returned - odd issues - text have no order

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Best Buy replaced my Hero today because of the dust under the screen and issues with text messages (Best Buy was great BTW). I received a new "Google" branded Hero and after setting everything back up had the same text message issue and the vibrate for the keyboard would cut in and out. I like the keyboard vibration so I took the device back for a refund. The text message issue was also very frustrating. If a new text came in there was no order so I had to search. It did this with the default message client and two otheres. This was frustrating when having a conversation. I'd have to search for the reply and was even more difficult if it was a long reply. I'm disappointed that I had to return my Hero but I figured I wait until the Samsung Moment is released at this point. I loved Android and the Hero but didn't want to deal with these odd issues.

anyone else having these issues? I hope I just had bad luck with the devices I received but wanted to get others thoughts.

UPDATE 11.2.09 - I purchased a Samsung Moment yesterday and I don't seem to be experiencing this odd SMS issue....yet. I've tested this using Handcent and the standard message application.

Last edited:

prot0type

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
No dust here, hopefully not ever.

As far as texting though, I was only receiving half of the message if it was more than 150 characters, not even a 2nd message with the rest of it. However, I contacted a Sprint csr via web chat and they reset my phone. So far so good, friend sent me a text and I received it in 2 messages.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Sprint has had SMS issues for years now... one of the reasons I could never go back to them. Out of all of the carriers I've only had issue with Sprint SMS. A buddy of mine picked up a Touch Pro 2 recently on Sprint to test the SMS and sure enough same issues. Some minor delays, some were longer, messages would come out of order, etc...

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Sprint has had SMS issues for years now... one of the reasons I could never go back to them. Out of all of the carriers I've only had issue with Sprint SMS. A buddy of mine picked up a Touch Pro 2 recently on Sprint to test the SMS and sure enough same issues. Some minor delays, some were longer, messages would come out of order, etc...

Is there any explanation for their SMS problems? I have a friend on AT&T who I text throughout the day and around 9pm, the texts start getting out of order and sometimes never come.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Is there any explanation for their SMS problems? I have a friend on AT&T who I text throughout the day and around 9pm, the texts start getting out of order and sometimes never come.

I couldn't for the life of me figure it out and even wiped my Hero to start "fresh" with the default messaging app and it still did the same thing. I didn't seem to be missing text but rather they had no order to them.

Ex. A reply to my text would be posted somewhere in the middle or top of the text string rather then at the bottom as they usually are displayed by time (which makes sense).

I don't think this is a Sprint issues as I have other devices (one being a Pre) and I have never had this issue. I even swapped my number back to the Pre to see if it was a network glitch and the Pre seems to work fine. I've also never seen this with my BlackBerry.

I'm going to try to pickup the Moment tomorrow if I can get one as I really liked Android but couldn't deal with that as I text a lot and had to search for the new test to reply. This is a huge pain with a long text string.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site

I've heard (from engadget) about the actual Hero device itself having some issues with SMS but I don't know if that is just not the Sprint network creating the issues. I honestly don't have a clue. My guess it could be both.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I've heard (from engadget) about the actual Hero device itself having some issues with SMS but I don't know if that is just not the Sprint network creating the issues. I honestly don't have a clue. My guess it could be both.

I think its device related. It made me wonder if it was tied to the clock widget bug that has been reported. I was thinking the text showed up according to the widget time which would cause them to be out of order.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I think its device related. It made me wonder if it was tied to the clock widget bug that has been reported. I was thinking the text showed up according to the widget time which would cause them to be out of order.

I'm still leaning towards it being a Sprint issue for the simple fact 8notime and I tested a Sprint Touch Pro 2 and recreated the out of order texts. But there may be a separate issue with the Hero as well.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm still leaning towards it being a Sprint issue for the simple fact 8notime and I tested a Sprint Touch Pro 2 and recreated the out of order texts. But there may be a separate issue with the Hero as well.

JFSikora - It may be a Sprint issue. I don't know enough about it other then my other devices seem to work fine. I'm surprised more people haven't experienced this. I tried to deal with it but it was just too frustrating.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's some screen shots of our previous Sprint testing:

IMAG00132.jpg

IMAG00101.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
JFSikora - It may be a Sprint issue. I don't know enough about it other then my other devices seem to work fine. I'm surprised more people haven't experienced this. I tried to deal with it but it was just too frustrating.

Exact reason I left Sprint a few years back.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
HTC makes both phones

The reason you have had problems with both is that they are both made by HTC. I don't have any problems with my Pre or BB Tour with SMS.

You need to blame HTC! Hopefully it will get fixed when they upgrade SENSE UI to Android 2.0.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
The reason you have had problems with both is that they are both made by HTC. I don't have any problems with my Pre or BB Tour with SMS.

You need to blame HTC! Hopefully it will get fixed when they upgrade SENSE UI to Android 2.0.

I wouldn't say that as I also had Palm devices on Sprint with the same issue. I will say the delayed SMS with Sprint does not seem to effect everyone but a significant amount of customers.

dodgebusta

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an old thread...but has anybody figured this issue out? I am very sick and tired of not getting text's and this is only after a few days with the phone. And NO THIS IS NOT A SPRINT ISSUE...HTC has confirmed there is a problem...they say that when its upgraded to 2.0 or higher that should fix the problem.

wolf1989#AC

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
I know this is an old thread...but has anybody figured this issue out? I am very sick and tired of not getting text's and this is only after a few days with the phone. And NO THIS IS NOT A SPRINT ISSUE...HTC has confirmed there is a problem...they say that when its upgraded to 2.0 or higher that should fix the problem.

The text out of order is sprints problem. The texts coming in late is HTC and is supposed to be fixed with 2.1 when its dropped the first half of 2010.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

I had those types of issues on my Pre, never bugged me because it only happens if you are texting like every 30 seconds. Seriously, you might as well just use a IM client if you are going to use texting like that.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have experienced these issues with the text messages coming out of order according to the timestamp. I had noticed that it usually does it when the phone is roaming. So I turned the roaming off and I havent had any issues thus far. I will repost id something changes.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae