To those who have been using the 2.1 ROMS....

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Is it really that much faster to where you won't notice that you have a 528MHz processor and that it's slow as heck wheb doing two things at once (like listening to music or browsing online)? Now that Palm is a about to be bought out, my gf and I h have considered getting her a Hero and adding her onto my plan and swirching out the Pre with her because she needs a phone with a keyboard. Does it fix the typing lag, phone lag, hang-ups....little stuf like that?

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed an improvement in my phone on 2.1 but I'm running a custom rom. I'm not sure you'll get as large of a boost from the Sprint 2.1 release. I was originally planning on getting a nexus one or evo when they came to Sprint. Now I'm staying with my hero.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Doing the option C definately gets rid of the typing lag on the keyboard. I don't get any force closes with it either. The Hero is kinda coming to the end of its lifespan for being sold, making it either a really cheap good device (if you root, but the stock 2.1 ROM is decent, too), or outdated. One other thing, The hero is kinda limited by internal space. Apps2SD fixes this issue, but needs root access

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Read these links
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-sprint-hero-condensed-easy-read-version.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/7477-looking-nandroid-how.html

Then, look here
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/6699-cdma-hero-rom-gumbo-rom-1-5c.html
This will give you a phone that looks and acts like stock, except it's fast as hell.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/9522-sprint-2-1-leak.html
This will give you a "preview" of 2.1, and as rufflez says, option 3 is also fast as hell.

If you decide to dig in, just holler if you have any questions or need help.

Th3Cap3

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I rooted and flashed my phone with the new DamageControl v2.07 from damageless, it is so much faster then my old stock 1.5 and the live wallpapers on sense is a very nice touch :)

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
well....it looks we aren't getting her on my plan because I was under the impression that we could add her for the 9.99. Regardless, I will take all your replies in consideration as I might still sell my Pre until I cam upgrade to the Evo. The biggest reason I might stay away from the Hero and Evo (or any other HTC device) is because they don't have GPU's for games and stuff.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
yea...well the Pre can play Call of Duty looking and feeling games with online multiplayer so the Hero never will do this. Yes, I have a system dedicated to real-time 3D gaming, but the fact that it's on a phone is game changing and just plain fun; I an just whip out my phone and just start playing online instead ofluging around a big system.

Not only that, but the GPU handles smoother transitions between menus and stuff and takes a load off the battery and the phone's CPU (and make it less laggy...like the Hero is). To me, Snapdragon means nothing because even though it will run faster, it will still have a limit as to what it can do. Look at the Nexus One..it still lagged sometimes when trying to handle more than one task even WITH a Snapdragon.

AndroidFanatic84

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Read these links
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-sprint-hero-condensed-easy-read-version.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/7477-looking-nandroid-how.html

Then, look here
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/6699-cdma-hero-rom-gumbo-rom-1-5c.html
This will give you a phone that looks and acts like stock, except it's fast as hell.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/9522-sprint-2-1-leak.html
This will give you a "preview" of 2.1, and as rufflez says, option 3 is also fast as hell.

If you decide to dig in, just holler if you have any questions or need help.

Hey question, I loaded the 2.1 onto my Hero before the option was posted to load it like i guess a rom or w/e....is there anyway I can downgrade or am I stuck now?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I play 3d games on my hero just fine.
Homerun Battle 3D looks normal. No problems with lag, no problems with cutting out. We get higher frames per second than the Moto Droid (43 vs 30) on average after our respective 2.1 updates.

aggreyj

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Not only that, but the GPU handles smoother transitions between menus and stuff and takes a load off the battery and the phone's CPU (and make it less laggy...like the Hero is). To me, Snapdragon means nothing because even though it will run faster, it will still have a limit as to what it can do. Look at the Nexus One..it still lagged sometimes when trying to handle more than one task even WITH a Snapdragon.

The Palm Pre's still isn't using the GPU to do anything like that. It's ironic that anyone with a Palm Pre would say that there is smooth transitions between menus or opening anything. I also highly doubt that the GPU is doing anything to explicitly save battery.

It sounds like you're asking the questions but you really want to keep your Pre. If the 3D games on your Pre are that importnat then maybe you shouldn't switch. I just switched from the Pre to the Hero last week and I love it.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Wellll I may just pick up a hero after I find out what is going to happen Palm if it is really as fast as people say. I am also worried about the support for the Hero since the Eris is out the window now. I love both devices (tested both for a couple of weeks), but the Pre is just so much faster for right now, especially being overclocked. Even without the overclock, I can at least listen to music and browse online without thehone freezing on me, or I an reply to a text message and the keyboard be so far behind my typing the it was ridiculous.

I know you said that you had a Pre before the Hero.....is it comparable to the Pre? If I can find a Hero for cheap enough, I may keep the Pre and get a Hero if I see enoughisitive reviews about 2.1....if it ever comes out. That's the other reason I roll with the Pre.....updates (no matter how small) come out every month.

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Wellll I may just pick up a hero after I find out what is going to happen Palm if it is really as fast as people say. I am also worried about the support for the Hero since the Eris is out the window now. I love both devices (tested both for a couple of weeks), but the Pre is just so much faster for right now, especially being overclocked. Even without the overclock, I can at least listen to music and browse online without thehone freezing on me, or I an reply to a text message and the keyboard be so far behind my typing the it was ridiculous.

I know you said that you had a Pre before the Hero.....is it comparable to the Pre? If I can find a Hero for cheap enough, I may keep the Pre and get a Hero if I see enoughisitive reviews about 2.1....if it ever comes out. That's the other reason I roll with the Pre.....updates (no matter how small) come out every month.

right now, my phone blows away the pre... but that was before any of the overclocking business started. I had the pre for 5 months, and now have had the hero for about the same time frame. I'm personally happier with the hero and I've never had a problem listening to music and browsing the web at the same time. The keyboard was laggy (but isn't now). I'd check it out post 2.1 if you can and see if the keyboard is too laggy for you then. I'm running on a custom ROM with a custom kernal with high memory available settings that dicipate any lag... for anything, keyboard, loading up programs (which it does much faster than a stock pre). There is only 1 thing i miss from the pre... the flash on the camera. But i can live without it until the evo comes out.

AndroidFanatic84

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I asked a question and nobody responded, lets try this again. I flashed my phone with the sprint 2.1 leak prior to the other option was around where I could revert back from it...My question is am I now stuck with 2.1 or is there anyway I can flash back to a different rom?

wolf1989#AC

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site

oluvinu

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
regarding 2.1 and apps

Hello
I have the hero with the 2.1 update with gumbo rom.
Turtles helped me out a lot and thx!!!

Question:
1- how do I get apps2s?? And info on all it can do??

2- where can I get live wallpapers?? And can it run correctly on this custom Rom option 3 with gumbo??

3- how do I remove the.sprint apps I don't use??

Thank you for any help you can provide.