Anyone feel the specs on this device could be improved?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Just like the title asks, anyone feel that HTC should have bumped the specs up on this device? Namely the following:

600 MHz cpu
3.2 " screen
320 x 480 resolution

Just trying to get some conversation going...

ancient_dragon

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking same thing. I like the body of the phone, and design, but the specs are a real turn off for me. Probably enough so to make me not get it, when otherwise it would be in high consideration.

gdubmedia

Dec 14, 2009
www.g6music.net
For me the size is a big deal. I've always had HW keyboards, and it seems that, unless the software is utterly amazing and intuitive (a la iPhone), I would need a much larger screen for the SW keyboard to work for me and my fatty thumbs. lol

But hey! If this comes out at the time of my upgrade, I'll get this, and then when the SS comes out (likes 6-8 months later, I'll switch out. My average phone life is somewhere around 6 months anyway. lol

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
It's just another entry level Android device with a slight bump to processor speed. Nothing about the Legend would make me dump my current Hero. I'd like to see something with HTC HD2 specs running Android with 8, 16 or 32 gigs of memory.

T Mac

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Definately a waist of time working on this device. I already have the same phone, it's called the HTC Sprint Hero. Sprint is foolish for keeping this going. Get one of the premier phones that HTC has to offer. I would love to see something with a bigger screen, and better internals. I'll wait for the Supersonic. But maybe that's what Sprint has planned. A little bait and switch. Pass on the cheap HTC Legend and wait for the overpriced HTC Supersonic and possibly pay for WiMax service even though it is only availabe in a few states. IMO! I hope not though, I'm looking forward to the Supersonic.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think this phone was meant to compete with the Desire. From what I understand the smaller screen lets the 600 mhz cpu drive the phone extremely fast and smooth, and should give great battery life. Until I get one in my hand to use and then tear apart, I'll hold back any judgment. If it's true, I'm happy. I like the smaller size for a phone/pda.

T Mac - Sprint doesn't charge anything extra monthly for 4G. The initial devices are a bit more expensive, but they are all 3G/4G at the same monthly cost. If/When the SS comes, I'll bet it's $299 on contract and has a full EVDO radio along with the WiMax technology built into the WiFi radio.

Last edited:

ancient_dragon

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually I like the reduced specs in favor of a smaller, lighter phone with (hopefully) superior battery life.
Also the battery life would have to be significantly improved over others in order to justify a reduction in specs. And from the phone lineup we have currently, the less powered phones, don't have nearly enough battery advantages to justify performance disadvantage. So unless that trend changes to a good degree, I don't see superior battery life being a big selling point.

Apollo3T

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Sure the specs are a bit underwhelming compared to the likes of a Nexus One/Desire/Supersonic but this phone is not suppose to be on that level. It will be a more affordable gateway into the the Android market and the fact of the matter is most consumers don't know the difference between a Snapdragon and Chinese dragon ;)

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that there's virtually no differentiation between the Legend and the Hero. Unless Sprint plans to EOL the Hero immediately or sell it for significantly less than the Legend, I don't see the case for even the least knowledgeable customers to opt for the latter -- except for a few people who vastly prefer its housing.

Joene

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Sure the specs are a bit underwhelming compared to the likes of a Nexus One/Desire/Supersonic but this phone is not suppose to be on that level.

It is at the same price level, though: Desire will sell at Eur 469 unlocked, whereas the Legend will sell at Eur 429 unlocked. That's a really small difference, given the cheap technology HTC has put into the Legend. I guess they had to make it this way, otherwise it would have gotten to expensive (meaning: more expensive casing = less expensive components inside). They focused on the design

briankeith513

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
This phone is a waist of time imo. The same small screen and lower screen resolution, and every other spec is inferior to the other high end phones, and it probably won't be much less in price than those other high end devices like Nexus One and HTC Desire.

vcs

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
It's not going to be lighter with the materials they've used... (at least I wouldn't think so)

Well, the specs are out. It may not be significant, but the Legend is in fact a tad lighter (126g) than the Hero (135g), the Desire (135g), the Nexus One (134g) and the iPhone (134g).

Also the battery life would have to be significantly improved over others in order to justify a reduction in specs. And from the phone lineup we have currently, the less powered phones, don't have nearly enough battery advantages to justify performance disadvantage. So unless that trend changes to a good degree, I don't see superior battery life being a big selling point.

This is what I think: A lower resolution screen (about half the pixel count than Desire and Nexus One, and about the same like the iPhone) requires less processor power for graphic rendering. If this is well balanced, the phone can behave snappier than a phone with a higher-resolution display even though using a lower-performance processor. Less processor power requires less battery.

Similarly, a smaller screen (Legend/Hero: 3.2", Desire/Nexus One: 3.7", iPhone: 3.5"), is, well, smaller and lighter and draws less power. Together, you can have a smaller and lighter battery while supporting the same or even better battery life than a comparable phone with a larger, higher-resolution display.

Moreover, the actual screen resolution in terms of ppi (Hero/Legend: 180ppi, Desire/Nexus One: 252ppi, iPhone: 163ppi) is not so much worse than that of the larger phones (in fact still better than the iPhone): There are fewer pixels, but there is also less screen real estate. Thus, you cannot see as much information at a glance than on a larger phone, but the over all image quality does compare fairly well when you look at both phones from the same distance.

All that said, I am still convinced that the compromize is worthwhile considering, especially when packed in such an attractive and exclusive body. Personally, I find the 3.7" form factor too large and inconvenient for a phone, which (the phone) is still the primary use of these devices for me.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow, not a single person so far seems into this device.

I'm into this device. I think the specs are just fine. The resolution is the dame but it is supposed ti have an AMOLED screen that is supposed to be great. The processor will be faster and there don't be a trackball anymore. It isn't a significant upgrade, but I didn't think that it would be after less than a year since the Hero was released.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835