Gingerbread Rollout Thread!

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I was able to tether right away with out any problems.

Thanks Mikey. Have you tried rooting with 2.3.4?

(And if anyone is curious about what you will see when TMo sends you the update, even if you're rooted, here are some thumbnails.)

2280rere

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I started to receive the update and put the phone into standby. Checked on it 20 minutes later and the update was nowhere to be found. What could have happened?

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I went to a local store and let them SD card me. *laughs* Anyhow, it is nice. There are some subtle changes and there are some blaring.

I will copy and paste some and then add some as well.

From T-Mo Forum courtesy of Deacon:

General things that have changed

- new 4G status icon replaces H icon

- new Internet Explorer app icon

- new Tmobile Mall (just a suggestion app based on the apps you have)

- new Tmobile Highlight (think news feed)

- new Unread messages icon

- new Gmail notification icon

- new Market download notification icon

- new Downloads app

- new Notifications area (added Quick Settings tab)

Stock mail things that have changed

- new option to view an Inbox + Sent folder combined

- new option to Show CC/BCC when recipient is selected

Messaging things that have changed

- new options no longer combined ... they're separated for Notification, Text messages (SMS), Multimedia messages (MMS) and General

- new recipient phone number field added above text area when responding to a message

- new compose option to add Quick text when responding

- new option to search Messages from Home

- moved other options around .. no longer an option for Push messages etc on Home

Settings that have changed

- new Internet call settings/options (Settings > Call)

- new Home country and Home dialing options (Settings > Call)

- new Storage use option (Settings > Application > Manage Applications)

- new UI for application managing .. added conversation bubble highlighting Internal store use

- moved option for Fast Boot from under Applications to under Power setting (also renamed it Power and not Power saver)

- new option for Software updates and Tell HTC (Settings > About phone)

- moved Lock screen option for displaying message text on lock (Settings > Privacy) ... formerly under Messages settings

Functions that have changed

- changed the way Cache is calculated ... no longer added to total app size

- improved font and resolution (menus clearer, more room on screen)

Last edited:
Reactions: DrKrizzle and J240

dlnielse#AC

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Mikey. Have you tried rooting with 2.3.4?

(And if anyone is curious about what you will see when TMo sends you the update, even if you're rooted, here are some thumbnails.)

So, did you apply the update to your rooted phone? If so, what was the results?

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't upgraded to 2.3.4 yet because I want to see if a rooted version or method shows up. I posted on XDA asking for a link to be posted if one is available.

Thanks for the update updates LadyDi. If I figure something out as far as upgrading and getting root afterwards (in a way that's easy to do) I will cross link here.

benoit808

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Went to my T-mobile store to get the update yesterday but the rep told me he couldn't do it because only his manager who is on vacation has the code to use the SD card (even though I called them earlier in the day to know if I could come get my update and was told "anytime").
So the rep goes on to tell me that it's no big deal because I can just go to the HTC site and get the GB update from there. All I have to do after downloading the update is mount the phone as USB drive and I'll be able to install. He told me that HTC sells million of phones so they always put the updates on their site.
It didn't sound right to me but the seemed sure of himself so I came home and looked on the HTC site... but of course, nothing. Did I miss it or was that rep bs-ing me as I suspect?

mikey3450

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The rep was bs-ing you. That is the while reason they sent the stores the sd card. A far as a code, there is no code required to do the update. Sounds like a bad rep

Sent from my HTC Glacier

benoit808

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Cali to and I've heard about that so that's why I called them before I went in. The rep I talked to over the phone told me they had the SD card. I asked him if they've done some updates yet and he told me that they did a bunch and it worked great. Also, when I went to the store, the guy never told me that they didn't have the card, just that he couldn't use it without his manager because of some code.
I am going to assume that, at this store, they are instructed to answer yes to whatever question they are being asked on the phone

GhostGregg

May 23, 2011
Visit site
My local t-mobile store STILL does not have the sd cards. I was told buy some idiot there today that they may not be getting it at all. Ugh... hope my OTA gets here soon.

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got it at the local store in so cal. Wish someone figured out how to root it so I wouldn't have to change the settings manually again to how it was before.

Speaking of which, when I go to send a text message and start typing the name, it shows all contacts from Facebook, not just the contacts I have in the phone. I remember I was able to change it so it would only show the phone's contacts in this list but I don't remember how and can't seem to figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

adibi

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I got my update at the store. The radio really sucks. I don't get reception in places where I used to have 4 bars! The camera doesn't work either, it's all distorted.

I called t-mobile. They said it's a know issue and HTC is working on a fix. There's no way to roll back. The only thing they could offer me is a loaner.

cdicesare2002

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I got my update at the store. The radio really sucks. I don't get reception in places where I used to have 4 bars! The camera doesn't work either, it's all distorted.

I called t-mobile. They said it's a know issue and HTC is working on a fix. There's no way to roll back. The only thing they could offer me is a loaner.

I don't seem to have these issues...maybe its just the updated SD cards in your region that has the flaw?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

DrKrizzle

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The other significant thing for me with the rollout to 2.3.4 was improvements in Bluetooth. (sorry if it was mentioned earlier, just didn't see it) I have a new Dodge Durango with Uconnect and now the bluetooth phone actually..... works! Before it didn't at all.

The bad news is that the Uconnect *should* be able to read my music and stream it through the stereo but it only stutters and has huge amounts of artifact. Not a huge deal, I'm just glad the phone works now.

GhostGregg

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I finally was able to get my update. I called the T-Mo store in town and they had just gotten the update cards in that morning. I went down there and got my update installed. Just got done getting my phone back to where I like it. So far I do like the improvements! Today is my first battery usage test to see how well the battery life is for my kind of use.