4G Indicator After Gingerbread Update

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
After getting my gingerbread update, I've noticed that the phone shows I am getting 4G all time. I've been in areas where I normally would get Edge or even GPRS before update but now it shows 4G. I know this cannot be right and it's annoying that its showing 4G when I am actually in an area where I only get Edge. Anyone else experienced this? Anyone know how to fix this? Did TMO did this purposefully to fool us they have a huge 4G network?

GhostGregg

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not experiencing this exactly, but I am not seeing a 3g symbol at all. Normally where I would get edge I am getting the 2g symbol. But where I would get H i am getting the 4g symbol. So Its eigther 4g or 2g all the time, no sign of 3g?

J240

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep, same here. I have seen 2G and 4G, but I have not seen any 3G symbol. If that's the case, there is no difference between the 4G or the H showing up no matter if it's 3G or 4G... that's just silly.:confused:

jjbadd#AC

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I put mine on "GSM ONLY" in the mobile network options and it stops "4g" from popping up when I'm in an area with 3g or Edge. I live in an area without 4G coverage, but if I put it on the "GSM & Hxx auto" setting in mobile network options, it will display 4G, must be a bug..

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You guys have to understand that T-Mobile does not have a "real 4G network". It's the same 3G network, with enhanced speeds, hence HSPA+. So the phones can't make the distinction when you have a fast connection (4G) or a normal one (3G). But they can make the distinction when it switches to EDGE (2G) or GPRS because those are different network systems. You can see the difference on Verizon's network because they built a real, new 4G network, and you'll start to see it on ATT when they light it up. Until T-Mobile starts building a 4G network (not enhance the speeds of 3G one), no matter what phone or OS you have, it will always display the same icon on 3G and 4G.

cdicesare2002

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
You guys have to understand that T-Mobile does not have a "real 4G network". It's the same 3G network, with enhanced speeds, hence HSPA+. So the phones can't make the distinction when you have a fast connection (4G) or a normal one (3G). But they can make the distinction when it switches to EDGE (2G) or GPRS because those are different network systems. You can see the difference on Verizon's network because they built a real, new 4G network, and you'll start to see it on ATT when they light it up. Until T-Mobile starts building a 4G network (not enhance the speeds of 3G one), no matter what phone or OS you have, it will always display the same icon on 3G and 4G.

Sadly you are correct. T-Mobile is fast enough for me but it is still only a 3G network posing as 4G.

I don't mind so much as I didn't get T-Mobile for it's 4G network, I got it because it was affordable.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Sadly you are correct. T-Mobile is fast enough for me but it is still only a 3G network posing as 4G.

I don't mind so much as I didn't get T-Mobile for it's 4G network, I got it because it was affordable.

I am anxiously waiting for a phone that can do 42mbps.
The MT4G is snappy fast but its only 14mbps.

;)

JesseMT4G

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I always get either H+ or EDGE..I am still on froyo though.

Speeds are definitely faster though than 3G as I have a mytouch3G as well and did some speed tests and the 4g walks all over the 3g.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463