looking for a Wifi Calling/SMS review

bobdelt

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Does the UMA feature tmobile is implementing for android seamless on the phone?

I know it wont handoff between wifi and cell, but that's fine.

But do I have to place phone calls through an "app" for wifi calling? Or will it do that automatically if I'm not in service? What about receiving sms and phone calls? will that be seamless to the end user?

outrun

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Does the UMA feature tmobile is implementing for android seamless on the phone?

I know it wont handoff between wifi and cell, but that's fine.

But do I have to place phone calls through an "app" for wifi calling? Or will it do that automatically if I'm not in service? What about receiving sms and phone calls? will that be seamless to the end user?

I did it yesterday and it worked great. I even did a 3 way call. The only trouble i had at one point was that it said that it could not register on the network. But that was just a matter of me calling out over non wifi so it knew who I was or something then it worked just fine over wifi. I did not try a text message though. Also this was using t-mobiles demo sim that they had in it.

bobdelt

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I did it yesterday and it worked great. I even did a 3 way call. The only trouble i had at one point was that it said that it could not register on the network. But that was just a matter of me calling out over non wifi so it knew who I was or something then it worked just fine over wifi. I did not try a text message though. Also this was using t-mobiles demo sim that they had in it.

but is it through an app? or does it just work like on a blackberry?

I dont want to have to loan an app to place a phone call, or a text.

dodolom

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
but is it through an app? or does it just work like on a blackberry?

I dont want to have to loan an app to place a phone call, or a text.

Yes I am curious about how this works also.

For example, if my reception is absolutely none in the house, does the wifi calling kick in automatically or do I have to start an app of some sort?

Automatically would be much better of course. I am hoping that is the case.

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
OK...all I had to do was start the app once and set it up in my house. The app will run in the background and as long as the WiFi is turned on on your phone it will pick up the WiFi calling for you automatically but you cannot be in a call or it will drop the call when you either lose signal indoors or when you leave the wifi network...that IS the difference (no handoffs). The WiFi calling feature basically extends the cell tower to inside your home. Calling is no difference from a regular voice call that I can tell and SMS messages come in just fine too with the signal.

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I just did a few calls on it and the call quality is incredible. Here is an overview:

1. It can be set to make calls over "Wifi preferred". This disables the cell connection once it establishes a Wifi UMA connection (this isnt as bad as it sounds).

2. It can be set to Cellular preferred, and will only kick in when you have no T-Mobile signal. (This is default)

3. or Wifi only, basically turns your phone into a hotspot phone.

Its not as perfect as the blackberry implementation but its pretty effective. I walk into my office basement and it automatically kicks over to Wifi UMA since I have no t-mobile signal down there.

I'd give it a 8/10 overall, but having this feature on android is a dream so that bumps it up to a 9/10 :)

Last edited:

dodolom

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I just did a few calls on it and the call quality is incredible.

Its a bit more limited than I expected, but will come handy in a pinch. Here is an overview:

1. It can be set to make calls over "Wifi preferred". This disables the cell connection once it establishes a Wifi UMA connection (this isnt as bad as it sounds).

2. It can be set to Cellular preferred, and will only kick in when you have no T-Mobile signal. (This is default)

3. or Wifi only, basically turns your phone into a hotspot phone.

Its not as perfect as the blackberry implementation but its pretty effective. I walk into my office basement and it automatically kicks over to Wifi UMA since I have no t-mobile signal down there. When I go back upstairs and it sees the T-Mobile network, it turns off UMA and uses the cell towers.

I'd give it a 7/10 overall, but having this feature on android is a dream so that bumps it up to a 9/10 :)
thanks so much man. This clarifies it a lot.

What are the limitations though that you noticed and how was it different/better on the Blackberry? Just asking out of curiosity.

bobdelt

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
thank you... im on the fence between this and the evo 4g. I have aluminum siding which translates into 0 reception in the house, even though I have 5 bars of 3g on my porch.

Sprint gave my wife an airave, I've been using tmobiles blackberrys UMA, but this looks like it's a viable solution. Thanks

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
After I wrote that i realized it was a poor choice of words. It's not too limited. The only downside vs Blackberry UMA is the fact that you lose the call if you wander out of wifi range. SMS messages also go through wifi so that's a plus.

I did make one mistake in my mini review though, it doesn't swap back to the cell tower unless you tell it to, shut off wifi, or leave the wifi hotspot.

I've also been playing with the motorola defy, and it behaves exactly the same way. I'm so happy tmobile finally brought UMA to android.

I also tweaked my first post to clarify and correct my mistakes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz