[Official] Battery Life Thread

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
seidio has just released a extended battery for the mt4g... so far under extreme heavy use... went through the whole day... 10 hrs.... and was showing 64% remaining... for me, that was a great increase!

I think this was the battery company many say is misleading. Thinking about getting one for myself. However I am very satisfied with the stock battery which I believe is 1400mAh? This battery is 1600mAh so it probably won't be night and day difference.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Matt Inocell I wouldn't trust but Mugen I would. Look in to there extended stock size which is at 1650mAh, so 250mAh thats like 2hours extra moderate usage on MT4G.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Matt Inocell I wouldn't trust but Mugen I would. Look in to there extended stock size which is at 1650mAh, so 250mAh thats like 2hours extra moderate usage on MT4G.

I couldn't find a direct link for the Mugen myTouch 4G extended battery. Do you have it?

stvo

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I keep it on WCDMA only now Juice Defender is working for me

The battery has been incredible since I switched to GSM only.

10qxv5y.png

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Just throw on CM6 or 7, with the new ROM and some smart settings on SetCPU I usually drop 50% after 12 hours with average usage.

cheftam

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting TERRIBLE battery life.

had the phone for a few months now and it was fine for the first few months but within the last month, a full charge only last 4-5 hours.

I have forced closed all un-needed apps and tried everything under the sun, including different app-killers, but nothing has changed.

According to battery status, the "display" is constantly showing 50-60%. Is that normal? i tried switching th display to auto brightness, and still no difference.

Went to t-mobile and they had no answers except "thats the first time we heard of it".

What gives???

kktk

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
try getting a new battery replacement...that's what im going to do.
I have everything turned off as well...bluetooth, wifi, gps etc.

5-6 calls, 20 mins of browsing and push mail gets me 6 hours max.
Display is the biggest hog....60% of battery goes there consistently.

Cruzantis

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Some people here have a phone without any app at all or just bluffing cause to be honest getting more than 10 hours with moderate use its IMPOSSIBLE, ive tried every possible option, GPS WIFI BLUETOOTH (OFF) ive lower screen brightness uninstall apps that weren't popular or hadn't excellent feedbacks, ive monitored update frequency from everything most of it are now manual, ive charged discharge using the calibration method posted almost everywhere, and after all that if i use the phone just to see email or whatever it starts draining like 10 to 13% per hour and that is on good days, ive gotten drainage of 20% per hour, yesterday i rebooted the phone charged it fully and went from 6 am(at 100%) to 11 am (14%) doing nothing just turning on the screen every single hour to check battery %. I checked on my friends Iphone4 who was on facebook news and sending text all morning he barely hit the 75% battery I was WTF is this!!?!?! at 3 pm I had to do something like fast and the car wont even start so i was stuck for hours until i found someone who could help me. SO much of a smartphone it should be called batteryhungrymonsterresemblenseofaphone... HATE MT4G with all my heart am eager to try something not made by htc probably LG or Samsung even if the updates are slow they by far exceed on battery life or atleast the samsung vibrant of my roommate lasts 1day and a half with moderate use. I AM WITNESS OF IT!!!!!!! I had to make an account here i was like"i cant believe people are talking so good about this crappy phone" Dont get me wrong the phone is awesome in speed and everything; but why i want a car who can do 1/4 mile in 1 second if at 2 seconds it has run out of gas???? Get my point?? !!! hope you do!!!!

kktk

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well...I was in the same boat myself(maybe still am)...but I just did a master reset on my phone yesterday.

Haven't installed all the apps back on again, but I did turn on wifi, bluetooth, gps and left the screen to never timeout.

With those settings, the phone went to 8 hours without dying.
That's quite a bit.

Since nothing was happening on the phone, 90% of usage was the display!
That's pretty good actually...

So, installing apps back on again tomorrow and then re-testing this...
It doesn't make sense---if any rogue app is the cause, then it should show up on the battery usage display....unless those things arent accurate themselves?

Cruzantis

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thinking the way you do buddy!!

Well...I was in the same boat myself(maybe still am)...but I just did a master reset on my phone yesterday.

Haven't installed all the apps back on again, but I did turn on wifi, bluetooth, gps and left the screen to never timeout.

With those settings, the phone went to 8 hours without dying.
That's quite a bit.

Since nothing was happening on the phone, 90% of usage was the display!
That's pretty good actually...

So, installing apps back on again tomorrow and then re-testing this...
It doesn't make sense---if any rogue app is the cause, then it should show up on the battery usage display....unless those things arent accurate themselves?

I've kinda believe the battery usage is innacurate cause of the reason you mention. IF theres a rogue app it doesnt appear....

ArKay#AC

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
It might be something with the Android Build or stupid what-ever-the-heck it's called UI on top of it.

I've noticed a few times I've pulled out my phone and it's noticeably warm and the battery is far lower than it should be. For example - this time I pulled out the phone, had put it away at 97% battery, an hour later, 73% battery and warm.

Looking at the battery life info :
DSCN0755.JPG

Oddly Android OS has 56% of the battery.

Is there a way to find out what -specific- part of the OS is chugging away at my battery ?
BTW I have Background Data set to OFF

And for that matter - what happened to the 'check for OS updates' option that used to be in the about phone dialog ?

My OS shows 2.2.1 - which last I knew was the most up to date...but I'm curious how one checks that if you can't ask it to go look.

Having had a myTouch 3G prior (and a Droid for a bit) I long for a more pure Android experience... I'm far more used to that. But I don't want to flash Cyangen. Yet.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

griphon

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I"m having between 6 and 8 hours, with mild use... I know with this phone i shouldn't get more than 12 hours, but 6 hours... Not complaining. I would like to know if there is any battery available for the myTouch 4G with longer life...

kktk

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I did a master reset on my device.
With the same apps running(at least in the tests so far), my battery life went from 5-6 hours to 9-11 approx.

And this time, I'm leaving bluetooth, wifi and gps on all the time.

Just doing a master reset helped a lot in my case.

Its been 2 days so far...so lets see.

ArKay#AC

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Just doing a master reset helped a lot in my case.

Its been 2 days so far...so lets see.

And ? Any issues ?

I've had days where even with several phone calls and texts the battery has stay at 98%... and others where with the same use it has dropped to below 60%. All the same app use, all the same phone charging cycle and use.

The thing I noticed, as mentioned in my post above - on the days where my battery drops by huge chunks the Android OS has a huge chunk of the battery usage. Generally 6-8 -times- more than anything else, in the 30-40% range.

Is there something with the OS that might be ambling off on it's own and chewing up battery ?

kktk

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I havent been using the phone much since I got the Nexus S as well....but just leaving it idle with wifi on, gps on, gmail sync on---the phone goes through the whole day(24 hours) and uses only 10-12% of battery.

I did remove Yahoo and Hotmail syncing from the phone---so I dont know if the culprit was one of those apps.

I also did a another test with everything on and the display set to full brightness---with that left on all the time, the phone made it to 7 hours before it died.

Both the above scenarios are extreme obviously, so I am assuming with normal usage I should manage about 12-14 hours. I can live with that.

I might test that one of these days.
As a side note, my Nexus S isnt doing much better....fairly similar.

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Does the phone working off edge affect the battery? Normally my phone works fine all day at work even with me using it, but when I'm at horse shows which are usually in east bumble somewhere so there isn't even any 3G, the battery gets sucked out super fast. I have sync, blue tooth, gps etc all turned off and only use it to communicate with people elsewhere on the property. No apps or anything being used.