Tethering with MT4G

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Until I got my new MT4G, I used PdaNet with my older phone, and it worked flawlessly. Now with MT4G, I can't get it to work.
I know that MT4G has its own tethering capability: did anyone try that? I tried and it asks me for my account's user name and password...what account?

Thanks in advance!

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
OK, here's the scoop (I am writing this via tethering with my MT4G).
Firstly, if you own a Mac, forget it; Macs are not yet supported (luckily I have a PC as well).
You must have tethering/Hotspot plan ($15 with T-Mobile)

Quick steps:

A. The driver for USB tethering is stored on the memory card. You need to install this driver on the computer before you can share the phone’s mobile Internet with the computer over a USB cable.

To install the USB tethering driver on the computer, follow these steps:
1. Connect the USB cable to the phone and a USB port on the computer.
2. On the phone, touch and drag the Notification bar down.
3. If it is not set to Disk drive, tap Select to change USB connection type.
4. Tap Disk drive.
5. Tap Done.
6. On the computer, wait for a Removable Disk window to appear on the screen.
7. Double-click Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer.
8. Locate the HTCdriver.exe file on the memory card.
9. Double-click the HTCdriver.exe file.
10. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
11. Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
12. Reconnect the USB cable to the computer.
13. Touch and drag the Notification bar down.
14. Tap Select to change USB connection type.
15. Tap USB tethering.
16. Tap Done.

B.
To turn on and set up Portable Wi-Fi hotspot, follow these steps:

Using hotspot app
From the Home screen, touch the App Drawer.
Touch Wi-Fi Hotspot.
Under Settings, set the following options:
Router name (SSID)
Security
Password (8-63 ASCII characters)
Under Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot, touch Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot to select the check box.
Wait as the hotspot activates and the Hotspot icon appears in Status Bar.
Read the instructions, and touch OK.
On the device you want to connect to the hotspot, set up the Wi-Fi connection. Use the router name (SSID), security, and password you set previously. Your Wi-Fi devices can not connect to the Internet whenever you have a cellular data network.
Note: Please read the disclaimer and notes on unsupported handsets, devices, and software.
Using settings
From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
Touch Settings.
Touch Wireless & networks.
Touch the Portable Wi-Fi hotspot check box to select it.
Wait as the hotspot activates and the Hotspot icon appears in Status Bar.
To change settings, touch Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings.
On the device you want to connect to the hotspot, set up the Wi-Fi connection. Use the router name (SSID), security, and password you set previously. Your Wi-Fi devices can not connect to the Internet whenever you have a cellular data network.

DrKrizzle

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Good to know, but not surprising that PDAnet doesn't work. I do have the unlimited data, but didn't want to pay the extra $15 to occasionally tether. I wonder if there are any ways to, ahem, transfer data without the additional plan.

tazzy695

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
on a mack it will probably be able to connect via the wifi tether option that works seamlessly for me my mt4g broadcasts a wifi bgn signal and I connect via that

also I tether and have been tethering for over a year now without paying for an extra tethering plan

I actually use my cell data as my main internet any more instead of using comcast or some other high cost net provider

Last edited:

Daviddc114

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
i think the teathering feature comes free with the mytouch 4g... it does for me anyway.. perhaps because i am grandfathered in before they started charging?????

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
All I know is that before I signed up for the $15 tethering I couldn't tether. I need this feature when traveling to places without WiFi.
tazzy695: could you elaborate more about your comment: on a mack it will probably be able to connect via the wifi tether option that works seamlessly for me my mt4g broadcasts a wifi bgn signal and I connect via that. How?

selenitic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ummm the tethering service is FREE as long as you have data plan on this phone. I called TMobile and confirmed. There is no extra 15 dollar fee.

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Ummm the tethering service is FREE as long as you have data plan on this phone. I called TMobile and confirmed. There is no extra 15 dollar fee.

These quotes might shed some light on this issue:
http://www.tmonews.com/2010/10/t-mobile-launching-14-99-tethering-plan-november-3rd

Its free if you dont start using tons of data like downloading netfix or something.
(if they dont know its free)
High data usage triggers red flags and you will get a text message and 30 seconds
later all forms of tethering are blocked.

T-mobile Blocking all forms of Tethering. - xda-developers

So if you are just doing email or surfing you are good...

You can tether for free as long a you are on a t-mobile tower. If you are on a different carriers tower you will get a "R" for roaming next to the signal bars. You will not be able to tether if you are roaming. Data on your phone will work but you will get sent to message page from TMO saying you dont have a tether plan to allow you on your computer.

However there is a way around this. Use firefox and download the "user agent" add on. Change the user agent to Iphone 3G. And then your phone will think it is a device using data not a laptop or computer. Works for me I use this method a couple of times a week, because I end up on "roaming tower" often.

It isn't roaming like it use to be 10 years ago when you had to pay extra for calls and txt. But TMO just shuts down tethering to a computer. All data used by your device is still free.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown