myTouch 4G Wi-Fi tethering is free?

AgTitan06

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
You can tether for free as long a you are on a t-mobile tower. If you are on a different carriers tower you will get a "R" for roaming next to the signal bars. You will not be able to tether if you are roaming. Data on your phone will work but you will get sent to message page from TMO saying you dont have a tether plan to allow you on your computer.

However there is a way around this. Use firefox and download the "user agent" add on. Change the user agent to Iphone 3G. And then your phone will think it is a device using data not a laptop or computer. Works for me I use this method a couple of times a week, because I end up on "roaming tower" often.

It isn't roaming like it use to be 10 years ago when you had to pay extra for calls and txt. But TMO just shuts down tethering to a computer. All data used by your device is still free.

You're a life saver...thanks so much for that tip...I'm on vacation and roaming and wasn't able to tether until I did this trick!

techiegirl

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I just signed up a few days ago and was told by c/s I needed the add-on. After reading this, I went online and removed the $15 hotspot add-on feature today. So far, my hotspot still works.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So has anyone confirmed if this is free as long as you use it reasonably?

Yes.
High data usage is what triggers the text message from TMO and 30 seconds later tether/hotspot blocking .
I was on the G1 prebuy and have been tethering for a long time.
(back then I used PDAnet)
And wifi hotspotting since Froyo.
All I do is email and surf, no netflix or any high data transfers.
I've never been blocked or charged.

;)

tazzy695

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I regularly do go over my 5g soft limit and all they do is slow the internet down no blocking of tethering or charging

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Can someone help me? I tried tethering for the first time today and was unsuccessful. I almost had it but it wanted an Account name and password? I am on my Mac so maybe thats just a Mac thing. I tried my normal T-Mobile account password and that didn't work. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Can someone help me? I tried tethering for the first time today and was unsuccessful. I almost had it but it wanted an Account name and password? I am on my Mac so maybe thats just a Mac thing. I tried my normal T-Mobile account password and that didn't work. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

I think the password by default is 1234567890, so maybe that'll work.

techiegirl

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
My wifi tether (hotspot, non-rooted) seems to have stopped working this morning. It says it's connected and my touch says wifi is connected, but I cannot go online.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
My wifi tether (hotspot, non-rooted) seems to have stopped working this morning. It says it's connected and my touch says wifi is connected, but I cannot go online.

Maybe T-Mobile found out you were using the service and stopped it? You don't have the Wi-Fi hotspot for $14.99/mo right?

tazzy695

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I think t mobile is having data issues as my net was acting up all day also on and off but wasnt,isolated to beeing tethered

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois