What data speeds are you getting?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I know T-Mobile plans to increase the new HSPA+ speeds but it would be interesting to see what everyone is getting and where? Download the speedmeter app through the Android Market.

In Chicago Heights, IL a suburb of Chicago I got 5MB download and 1MB upload. This is the fastest I've gotten so far.

In Highland, IN at the Highland Grove Shopping Center I got 3MB download.

At my house in Schererville, IN I get crappy EDGE data speeds around 750kb. ):

Reactions: jshamoon

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
in Volo, IL on UMTS, I usually get 3 Mbps down

in Woodstock, IL I hit 6.4 Mbps down on HSDPA

in Libertyville, IL I've hit 4 Mbps down on unknown network.

in Palatine, IL I've average 4 Mbps down on unknown network.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
This is the best I ever got.

18292577.png

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Seems the average results on TMobile 4G are decent and in-line with Sprint's 4G (which I have clocked at 7Mb/s down 1Mb/s up on an Evo in VA).

Cy8er_Invad3r

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
In Schaumburg, IL. I received 7.8 mbps but only recrive .68 mbps for upload... To be honest I was very shocked so I ran the test numerous times and got 8.1 and 6.6, I also went head to head with my co-worker who had an Evo, needless to say, it took him 5 minutes to hook up to WiMax and by the time he finally obtained a stable connection he was only able to achieve 4.3 mbps and his second test he got 5.7 mbps so even if they consider Hspa + advanced 3G network, then shame on Sprint for marketing WiMax as a faster network...

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Seems the average results on TMobile 4G are decent and in-line with Sprint's 4G (which I have clocked at 7Mb/s down 1Mb/s up on an Evo in VA).

I have clear at home and use a rover puck (which is also just rebranded clear/sprint 4G) mobile - generally I get somewhat better performance from tmobile's HSPA+ vs Sprint 4G, but there are some exceptions.

In theory, you'd sort of expect Verizon LTE > Sprint/Clear 4G > HSPA+ given that Verizon gets 10 MHz in each direction, Sprint gets 10 MHz to share between both directions, and t-mobile gets 5 MHz in each direction, and verizon and sprint use higher order modulation than tmobile uses (in it's handsets, the rocket stick supports the same 64qam).

Also in theory you'd sort of expect that in the end if a given tower had to support the same number of users for all the systems (say you had a Vzn tower, a sprint/clear tower and a tmobile tower) each covering 1000 users, the clear towers will be better off as they're devoting more spectrum per user (eg 30 Mhz per geographical sector per tower) compared to tmobile and verizon.

It will be interesting seeing how next year unfolds.

VCL

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Getting on average 5.5 on DL and a very steady 1.4 UL. These speeds are during peek ours during the day. At Night I can get up to 8-9 DL but my upload still stays at steady 1.4. I am very happy with T-Mobile.
Still have My Nexus One and getting on average 4.5 on DL and steady 1.4 UL.
The best part of t-Mobile's Network is they are not charging an extra 10 bucks a month for the HSPA+.

THANK YOU T-MOBILE.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
You must be in way out NWI. I get 3G UMTS here. I'm also in NWI. I'm in the less remote area of NWI. ;)

Schererville, Merrilville, St. John, and Crown Point all have very spotty 3G coverage but mostly EDGE. T-Mobile's coverage map is somewhat difficult to read. It claims that Fast Mobile Web is 3G when I'm getting EDGE in those areas like 97% of the time. Where are you located in NWI?

Thanks for adding a sticky to my thread. :D

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Valpo mostly. Also in Portage, Hobart, sometimes Crown Point and Cedar Lake. The only time I really see Edge is driving on route 6 between Valpo and Portage. A few occasions other than that I see it but 97% of the time for me it's UMTS (or HSPA if I'm close to Griffith).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox