WiFi Calling Uses Plan Minutes

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was free - knew T-Mo talked about charging for it someday, though I didn't think they would like UMA since it's your own WiFi network...and it's not integrated to transfer over like UMA. While they aren't really charging for it -- when I turned it on, the notification came up that said "WiFi calling uses plan minutes."

Is this already known on this forum? I must have just missed it, because it came as a surprise to me. I find the network quality more than adequate, so really...I have no use for WiFi calling now since it drops the calls if you drop your WiFi signal.

EDIT: Nevermind..found it was mentioned here.

I'd delete the thread, but I cant.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I noticed it too, but am new to T-Mo so wasn't sure if it was always like this. I think you can add on unlimited wifi calling minutes to your plan (but what's the point unless it's your home phone and you make a LOT of calls).

The big advantage for me? Much better battery life when it's enabled, and if you're at home and know you aren't leaving why not use it? You won't walk out of range anyway (I think, unless you have a huge house).

Reactions: fredmr85

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Good point on the battery life - I overlooked that, even though you JUST mentioned it in another post. Guess I'll leave it on WiFi preferred.

I don't think there is a WiFi plan option with T-Mobile -- just the T-Mobile @ Home/UMA...which uses WiFi, but is a different service -- awesome though for people that want to eliminate a land line if their cell doesn't do the job.

Wi-Fi Calling FAQs

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I noticed it too, but am new to T-Mo so wasn't sure if it was always like this. I think you can add on unlimited wifi calling minutes to your plan (but what's the point unless it's your home phone and you make a LOT of calls).

The big advantage for me? Much better battery life when it's enabled, and if you're at home and know you aren't leaving why not use it? You won't walk out of range anyway (I think, unless you have a huge house).

T-Mobile voice quality here is pretty good. I always had UMA turned on my BlackBerry Curve 8900. Calls were crystal clear. On the myTouch Wi-Fi calling pretty much sucks. Sounds extremely broken up and call volume is very low. I really have no use for it. Would be nice if they worked out some of the kinks.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile voice quality here is pretty good. I always had UMA turned on my BlackBerry Curve 8900. Calls were crystal clear. On the myTouch Wi-Fi calling pretty much sucks. Sounds extremely broken up and call volume is very low. I really have no use for it. Would be nice if they worked out some of the kinks.

Interesting because when I'm at work with a strong signal and fast connection (Comcast business class :) ) it's crystal clear with good volume. If the connection isn't good or it's slow it won't perform like it should.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Interesting because when I'm at work with a strong signal and fast connection (Comcast business class :) ) it's crystal clear with good volume. If the connection isn't good or it's slow it won't perform like it should.

Could be my router. I have Comcast and the router is a Netgear Wireless G Router.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
We use a cheap Dynex router from Best Buy. It's only wireless G. And the building is all metal. I can be about 50 feet from the router (as far as I've actually tested) and have usable signal.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

Wow...thanks again for mentioning this. I never kept WiFi calling on all the time, and the battery life is unbelievable with it enabled. I wish work had an unsecure WiFi connection they'd allow me to use there..but they do not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000