Phone can't find my SD card music, photos or videos

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I can not see any of the music, photos or videos that I added / created on the phone, 'when I browse with the phone's stock apps'.

Mediaroom and Settings/Sounds and Gallery won't find any of my music, photos or videos. I CAN find them if I use Astro File Manager or doubleTwist.

I can play the songs in MediaRoom IF I open them from Astro. When I DO play a song this way in MediaRoom, instead of an mp3 tag I see the file listed as:

Local Audio
/mnt/scdard/media/audio/music/

The notifications I added using Ringdroid still work, but the mp3 tone I carried over from my old WinMo phone won't show up in Settings/Sound/Phone ringtone/Music either.

Other non-stock media related apps I am using besides doubleTwist are Stitcher, TuneIn Radio. I haven't renamed with any SD card folder names.

MORE INFO...

I just checked and see that I can't access any of the or videos using the 'Gallery' app either. I can open photos I sideloaded to the 'download' folder from my PC if I use Astro, but I can't find the photos or videos I have taken with the phone.

Please Help!
Thanks,
Steve

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My phone was not plugged into the computer when I lost access. I merely powered it down and then swapped batteries and then restarted it. And my friend's Droid which this seems to have also happened to has not been plugged into a PC since he bought it.

Any other thoughts?

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Since you have no options to modify in Mediaroom settings (except Resume music), it must be the Astro app. Do you have some option in that app to change the default program for audio files? I'm just shooting in the dark here.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you use a task killer app? If so, check under settings->applications->running services if you have MediaScannerService still running. This is the service that looks for media on your phone. Maybe the task killer app kills it.

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
MediaScannerService is running in 'settings'. The phone's 'Gallery' app isn't even finding photos I took yesterday, nor the wallpaper folder that was already on the phone when I got it.

I do have Advanced Task Killer, even though I use it infrequently.

Regarding Astro, that's the only way I can find the media when I use the phone. It's not like I open the files in another app and it opens in Astro, instead it's that I can find them with Astro, then open them in Gallery or Media Player.

I can't think of anything that would keep the phone from seeing these things, unless the phone specifically avoids certain folders and the media got moved by magic.

OK, I took a photo one hour ago, restarted the phone after uninstalling Astro and Advanced Task Killer, and then opened 'Gallery'.

For a split second I could see the two folders for 'Camera shots' and 'All photos', then it went to the 'No photos or videos found' screen.

Aaaargh!

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Umm, any ideas of a good backup app I can use without rooting? I just tried Titanium before I realized you needed root access.

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the MobiSynapse link. I managed to get it working ONCE, and made a backup on Friday. I waited until today to go through with the full restore, and can not get it working again.

(I tried starting the phone app first, windows app first, disk mode then start app, and I am giving up after an hour of that. I may go back to it later.)

So... I went with a root (from the 'guide' in the MT4G forum using the terminal and sh root.sh . I uninstalled Visionary, and I see S-off when I restart in recovery. But I can't get Titanium Pro to work, I get the 'no root access' error message.

Umm, Grrrr. Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
With Mobisynapse, when your phone is connected to PC it has to be on charge only mode, and also you have to allow USB debugging. And make sure you are running Mobisynapse as admin. About rooting, I can't help you since I haven't done it on my phone. Maybe someone else can pitch in.

tbarbs169

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can not see any of the music, photos or videos that I added / created on the phone, 'when I browse with the phone's stock apps'.

Mediaroom and Settings/Sounds and Gallery won't find any of my music, photos or videos. I CAN find them if I use Astro File Manager or doubleTwist.

I just cam across this problem too - here is the solution : hook up your phone to the computer, browse the sd card and delete the file .nomedia. i did this thanks to a post by csierra72 and now all is better!

pjcosta

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

I just cam across this problem too - here is the solution : hook up your phone to the computer, browse the sd card and delete the file .nomedia. i did this thanks to a post by csierra72 and now all is better!

Thankyou for this, I noticed the problem yesterday and just started looking for solutions an hour ago. You my friend saved me hours of hair pulling.

nyurbiz

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I just did an OTA update on my T-Mo Sensation 4G this morning with ICS 4.0.3 and Sense 3.6, and Gallery says "No photos or videos found". There is no .nomedia file on the root of my SD card, not is there one in the DCIM folder.

Edit: I powered down and then up, and initially it gave the save message. 10 seconds later the albums appeared.

P.S. danperde, it's great that you want to help but but telling people to do a factory reset when you have no direct experience with a problem isn't good advice.

Last edited:

wood_wind

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am not able to find the .nomedia file you're referring to in the /dcim folder. I had to take my SD card out and put it in my reader in order to see the files. I'm not sure what caused the problem but I'm thinking of copying all files over to my computer, formatting the SD card, and then putting all my music, pics, and files back on it.

Jenbug168

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
My .nomedia file was in the /sdcard root directory, not in the DCIM folder. You can also try unmounting and re-mounting the sdcard through settings.

subastion

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
search for root/SDcard/.nomedia

It will likely be in the root of your sd card directory, rename/delete it and all things should go back to normal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1