What's wrong with mytouch 4g

Immy4granta

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello mates,

I am new to here and i will appreciate your help.
What brought me here is mytouch 4g:D

Here is what makes me not happy user of the phone. I bought mine last year when it was first released and i was exited. After a while though i start realizing that there is something wrong and up to now i was ok with it. I mean it "has" the abilities to be a great smart phone(1ghz processor or more RAM than almost any phone out there (i think :O) )but acts so slowly and constantly either force close an app(like youtube or camera) or lags so much it isn't funny. I mostly use the browser and let's say email, pandora , youtube, weather app and a couple more apps. I am "afraid" if i start playing a game it is gonna freeze.:eek:
A friend of mine has the HTC Aria and he is laughing at me and my phone how slowly acts and supposedly my phone has better characteristics. Something that strikes me is that when i used to have gmail, facebook, news app automatically synchronized , the phone was awfully slow.
I read here that i should not use task killer, and i dont.

What would you recommend me to use or to do to make this phone "working again" for me?

I appreciate ii!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
How often to you restart your phone? I would restart it at least once a day to keep it running fresh. When I had it I never had any lag problems.

Immy4granta

May 7, 2011
Visit site
How often to you restart your phone? I would restart it at least once a day to keep it running fresh. When I had it I never had any lag problems.

I would say i restart it at least every day or other day, but honestly sometimes i restart the phone for the lagging problems and when it is back up it would be as slow as it was.:mad:
I really thought that the problems could come from the synchronizing the apps. I have seen when it synchornize the email or other app can be super slow. when i turn off all synchronizing with the apps it gets better but what it the point of having the apps ?

What apps would you guys recommend for monitoring the process of the phone and maybe to tell if an app or a process is not acting well?

Thanks

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What apps do you have installed? You could try (and it might be extreme) a factory reset. Don't install any third party apps for a few days and see how the phone acts. Then slowly add your other apps, one at a time, and see if the phone shows the same symptoms. If it does it's that app making the phone lag.

As far as monitoring what apps are doing what you could try spare parts. It shows what apps are using the most CPU/battery.

Also, what's your uptime and awake time under settings?

Immy4granta

May 7, 2011
Visit site
What apps do you have installed? You could try (and it might be extreme) a factory reset. Don't install any third party apps for a few days and see how the phone acts. Then slowly add your other apps, one at a time, and see if the phone shows the same symptoms. If it does it's that app making the phone lag.

As far as monitoring what apps are doing what you could try spare parts. It shows what apps are using the most CPU/battery.

Uptime is 10 hours
Awake time is 20 minutes
What does it tell you?

I have apps that have at least 4 stars: bank of america, my cast weather, shizam, angry birds, notes, watch dog(recently downloaded don't know what to look for in it yet).

I did actually factory reset about 3 months ago, after recommending from t mobile rep. Yes, I was ok in the begging and then slowly started to showing down. I haven't experienced drastic lagging or showing down of the phone after installing any of the apps currently on my phone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I asked about up time and awake time because it could be an indication of a "rogue" app. That would be one that would keep the phone awake, which would cause some of the problems you're having. But your's looks normal.

My next question is what are you considering lag? It's all relative so what you consider lag I might consider normal.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'd start looking at what apps might be an issue... do those extra apps run in the background??? Maybe doing a factory reset, then load the fairly simple ones (notes I'm guessing, and Angry Birds)... play with it for a week, if you have no issues load ONE more... then if no issues, load another... and so one until you see an issue, then remove the last one, reboot, and observe for a week. It's a slow trouble shooting technique, but it's probably something you think will not effect your device... I'm fairly sure Angry Birds will not be the issue, or at least it's not an issue on my device.

Immy4granta

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I asked about up time and awake time because it could be an indication of a "rogue" app. That would be one that would keep the phone awake, which would cause some of the problems you're having. But your's looks normal.

My next question is what are you considering lag? It's all relative so what you consider lag I might consider normal.
"Lag" for me is when I tap on display (icon or button) and there is delay of 3 second or more and you can definitely tell it doesn't act normally.
Like right now,iam working on the phone"browser.when I try to switch windows I press multiple windows button and it moves so slowly, not normal.i hope it makes sense.
Also, I have just downloaded display panel lite and it tells me I use %100 CPU:eek: and I basically use the browser!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the stock browser or a third party browser? Sometimes the stock browser on phones can be a little weird. 100% CPU isn't that bad. Pretty sure it just means you're hitting full clock speed.

Immy4granta

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the stock browser or a third party browser? Sometimes the stock browser on phones can be a little weird. 100% CPU isn't that bad. Pretty sure it just means you're hitting full clock speed.

The Stock one.

One thing to mention: when I did factory reset I started doing what fatboy said-downloading an app at time. Everything seemed well untill i logged n facebook through friend steam . Then I think phone started acting weird(for example being slow and I will have faves widget on my display and out no where it will be there but the contains in faves won't show WTF). Then I deleted my account of facebook from the phone and it seemed fine until a month ago even without fb account to be slow.
Furthermore, lets say I have disable background data and auto sync under accounts& sync and the phone might be better, but if I go into google account and even through I disabled auto sync the contacts will appear that are synchronizing (the icon will be there).
My guess based on observation is that phone has general problem with synchronizing with multiple accounts. For my phone book I get information from my google accounts and fb(pics and updates) when I was logged in.my faves are also connected to my phone book. Or I could be totally wrong :cool:either way I hope to make it work again:cool:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
my fiancee had a stock myTouch 4G and she used friendstream and all that good stuff. she never had any lag issues or anything.

the browser problems could just be the browser. try a third party browser and see if that fixes those issues.

the lag I'm not completely sure about.

Immy4granta

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Uptime is 32hours and awake time is 9 this morning! What do you think?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
9 hours or 9 minutes? 9 hours would only make sense if you used your phone (or had apps that need it to be awake, which usually involved the screen being on) that much. It's definitely possible.

Immy4granta

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Update!

9 hours or 9 minutes? 9 hours would only make sense if you used your phone (or had apps that need it to be awake, which usually involved the screen being on) that much. It's definitely possible.
I meant 9 hours. The phone was awful!

This morning is uptime 23h and awake 5h.
However, last night my was great, very fast, responsive and no lagging whatsoever!
I was first using wifi and switched to t mobile network and in both cases was perfect.
Then I went into system panel lite app and I realize that the CPU WAS way down (if I dont use the phone it will be on %5 and if I touch display it would go up no more than %50.
So the other day when the phone was awfully slow and irresponsive the CPU was hitting %100 :eek:
One more thing to mention, I dnk if they are connected some how(i hope someone with expertise in Linux OS to join in and to explain), so on the other app watch dog, when phone was slow there was a linux process "init" that was going crazy and using %80 of the cpu! Now the phone is ok, and that process does use %0.
Can some one explain that gets triggered (maybe an app or it is the OS?)

Thanks

Immy4granta

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Very excited to find a solution for my problem!!!

After dealing with the problem for month(since i bought my phone) i finally found the way to keep it "normal".
Here is a link that explain everything and how to make Mytouch 4G usable!!!

/INIT process Desire HD lag problems...SOLVED ! See post 1 - xda-developers

What do you guys think about this?

I am surprised that no one else has experience this issue!

Thanks for your help guys after all!

J240

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine gets super laggy at times also.. so a few days ago I moved every single app possible over to SD... I also cleared data on big apps like FB, cleared call log, Messages, etc and did a restart. It has been back to normal ever since! If I experience it intensely again I will look into the debugging solution you mentioned above, but so far so good! :)