I have the unlocked A9 and have the capability of using WIFI to make calls. What does this really do for me. At first, I thought it would reduce my minutes used for calling but that is not the case. Before enabling the WIFI calling, I had no issues with the quality of the calls. I don't really seem to see any real advantage. Maybe somebody else can enlighten me.
    01-21-2016 03:37 PM
    WiFi calling is no different than 'normal' calling when it comes to minute quotas, if there are any. Any calls placed on WiFi or the normal mobile network count the same as any other call in your plan.

WiFi calling, however, allows you to use mostly any WiFi network (as long as it has internet connectivity and the voice ports used by your carrier aren't blocked) to place/receive a call. This is very helpful when you're out of range from a cell tower, but may have full access to WiFi, which is the case in many buildings where mobile signal might be poor deep inside a building but WiFi is easily accessible. Also, if you're traveling, you can connect to WiFi to make/receive calls as if you were in your home region without incurring in roaming fees. One more case is when the mobile network is poor and/or saturated (for example, at a stadium or amusement park) where you might struggle to get good service; if there you also have WiFi and that's potentially less saturated, you can use that to place your calls.
    Roosterman likes this.
    01-21-2016 04:11 PM
    That makes sense, thanks.
    01-21-2016 04:16 PM
    No problem!

Now, if you ask me, VoLTE is where the 'controversy' should be hehe. That, I can't say that it improves my calls or that it degrades them. It's just 'meh'. WiFi calling (before Mexico and Canada became a no-roaming zone for T-Mobile) did come in VERY handy for keeping in touch with friends and family, and it definitely helps when overseas. I did find, however, a couple hotels in China that blocked the calls; not sure because the hotel purposely blocked WiFi calling or because of China's 'Great Firewall', though.
    01-21-2016 05:29 PM
    Wifi calling is basically a boon for carriers - it keeps you off their towers, so they need fewer towers. But unless you have a VoIP quality Wifi connection (no phase jitter), the call quality isn't as good.
    Laura Knotek and SpookDroid like this.
    01-21-2016 07:05 PM
    Wifi calling is basically a boon for carriers - it keeps you off their towers, so they need fewer towers. But unless you have a VoIP quality Wifi connection (no phase jitter), the call quality isn't as good.
    How does one know if they have a VoIP quality WiFi or internet connection?
    01-25-2016 11:44 AM
    I'd imagine you'd have to look for latency issues and see if the network has QoS settings turned on or off for VoIP services/ports.
    01-25-2016 12:14 PM