Unlock phone or not? Confused...

wrkalot

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
I recently purchased a A9 locked to Boost Mobile. It's not likely that Boost will offer nougat (they are horrible with these kinds up software updates).

My question is... if I unlock the phone in order to receive the update directly from HTC, will it still function on the boost network with out issue? I don't have any interest in switching carriers, just getting nougat.

If the the answer is "It should work just fine" BUT I run into issues of some kind that make it unusable, is it possible to reverse the unlock procedure.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I recently purchased a A9 locked to Boost Mobile. It's not likely that Boost will offer nougat (they are horrible with these kinds up software updates).

My question is... if I unlock the phone in order to receive the update directly from HTC, will it still function on the boost network with out issue? I don't have any interest in switching carriers, just getting nougat.

If the the answer is "It should work just fine" BUT I run into issues of some kind that make it unusable, is it possible to reverse the unlock procedure.

I'm no expert but I think once Nougat is released for a specific model, it's released to that phone regardless of it being locked/unlocked or what service it's on. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Going from locked to unlocked should just mean you can now not only use it Boost but also all other CDMA carriers like Sprint, Verizon & AT&T.

You could also see if they'll allow you to return it for a phone that will def come w/ or get Nougat since it's a recent purchase.

Buying a phone that is unlocked out of the box is the trend and I'd say the way to go. It allows you to shop around at any point & get the best deals with a variety of carriers. Off the top of my head if there's any way you can do it, I'd save just a little more & grab the Honor 6x. I think it's def worth it.

Hope maybe some of what I said helps & good luck :)

Last edited:

wrkalot

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Boost is pretty restrictive on their BYOD policy. The A9 isn't available from Boost directly. HSN and shopcelldeals.com are the only companies offering it for Boost Mobile. It's a great phone for $149 :)

It's been my experience that even though an official OS update is released it doesn't mean carriers will push it to their carrier locked phones. I was hoping that unlocking the phone would allow me to get nougat and stay on boost.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Boost is pretty restrictive on their BYOD policy. The A9 isn't available from Boost directly. HSN and shopcelldeals.com are the only companies offering it for Boost Mobile. It's a great phone for $149 :)

It's been my experience that even though an official OS update is released it doesn't mean carriers will push it to their carrier locked phones. I was hoping that unlocking the phone would allow me to get nougat and stay on boost.

Ah, interesting. I'm glad you posted back. I'm learning from you. Thanks :)

I hope that's the case so that you're able to get Nougat while staying on Boost. You would think it would be best for their business if they loosened up in regards to that policy?

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

How's the phone treating you? I totally realized your on to something w/ the A9. I think I might grab it for my aunt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781