HTC One 'Google Edition' reportedly in the works

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd have the same questions I had for the S4 Google Edition. Mainly, camera quality.

And, why?

Still so many unanswered questions about what "Google Edition" really means. It's not Nexus. How close is it, though? AOSP but no factory images? Is it just "senseless"?

It'll probably cost $650. Is it worth it? Surely this will help with the development community and getting good builds of AOSP-based ROMs for the non-Google Edition versions. I think that's what most people want (yes, you'll still wait for those to get updated too).

Posted via Android Central App

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Even though I'd love to own a Google edition One or S4, I just don't think they're good ideas for either company, especially HTC.

Not many people are going to pay over $600 for a cell phone, when you can get them through a carrier for much less.

Sent from my HTC One

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Some people don't like to be stuck on contract with a carrier.

Personally I don't understand the hype. Other then getting updates faster what is the advantage? I think sense is nicer and more polished than stock Android so I guess it comes down to preference.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
While I could ALMOST see why this was interesting for the SGS4, it makes no sense for the One when we already have a DE.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Some people don't like to be stuck on contract with a carrier.

Exactly! I buy all my phones off contract now.

Personally I don't understand the hype. Other then getting updates faster what is the advantage? I think sense is nicer and more polished than stock Android so I guess it comes down to preference.

Getting updates faster is a huge plus... Especially with HTC's history of slow updates.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
It's the same problem that's with the google edition S4. What happens to all the cool software stuff like ZOE in this edition?

With the S4 I think it's a bigger issue because you have so many different sensors and features (pretty much everything that Samsung is touting like eye tracking, air gestures, etc.) that are rendered completely useless by making it stock.

I like stock android a lot, but I don't think it should be frankensteined into phones that didn't have it in mind when you lose out on actual features by doing it.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
It's the same problem that's with the google edition S4. What happens to all the cool software stuff like ZOE in this edition?

With the S4 I think it's a bigger issue because you have so many different sensors and features (pretty much everything that Samsung is touting like eye tracking, air gestures, etc.) that are rendered completely useless by making it stock.

I like stock android a lot, but I don't think it should be frankensteined into phones that didn't have it in mind when you lose out on actual features by doing it.

That's what's so awesome about the nexus phones, the hardware is optimized for the software (for the most part). So you're getting an awesome smartphone experience without any unneeded components of features

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Exactly: without HTC's camera software, what's going to happen with the picture quality?

Unless they do something special it will suffer. Side-by-side with CM10 ROM's isn't looking good for the pic quality....

That's why I always went back to a Sense ROM with the One X. Camera performance and quality just couldn't be matched by anything else running on the phone.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While I could ALMOST see why this was interesting for the SGS4, it makes no sense for the One when we already have a DE.

This. Touchwiz is a bloated, ugly mess. Sense is much sleeker and runs better (in my experiences). Sense complements Android's design language, Sense tries to change it entirely. Stock Android is a definite improvement UI wise over TW, but I feel it is at best a step sideways from Sense, and more likely a step backwards.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana