Is this worth getting on tmobile?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I decided I want to get a htc one, but I am not sure if I want to get the google edition or the tmobile carrier edition.

The fact that the google edition won't support tmobile older 1700 band really concerns me. Because I'm not even sure if I get 1900mhz coverage in my area. I tried looking at a coverage map, but couldn't tell if my area would get coverage. (don't think there's any coverage icons directly where I am, but around my town. Not sure what that means for coverage .

So, how much of tmo coverage is these 1900 bands?

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
very little is 1900 at this point. i think the intent is there so they are working on it. the only time i recommend tmobile is for people that live outdoors or in tents because of the way their signal penetrates.

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's sad that you say that, I have t-mobile and I can pull 20+mbs lte down sitting inside my concrete school. I will however say that t-mobile is one of those carriers that either works for you or doesn't, I'm in Phoenix and it has a pretty decent market .

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I decided I want to get a htc one, but I am not sure if I want to get the google edition or the tmobile carrier edition.

The fact that the google edition won't support tmobile older 1700 band really concerns me. Because I'm not even sure if I get 1900mhz coverage in my area. I tried looking at a coverage map, but couldn't tell if my area would get coverage. (don't think there's any coverage icons directly where I am, but around my town. Not sure what that means for coverage .

Here's an unofficial map of the 1900 band coverage. I believe they are aiming to have wherever the 1700 band is covered by the end of the year. Honestly it's up to you if it's worth it. But I thought they were going to be selling the Google edition for both tmobile and att network? Meaning when you order you can select an att one or tmobile one. This would be hard to do since they are already producing the hardware for both networks.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Here's an unofficial map of the 1900 band coverage. I believe they are aiming to have wherever the 1700 band is covered by the end of the year. Honestly it's up to you if it's worth it. But I thought they were going to be selling the Google edition for both tmobile and att network? Meaning when you order you can select an att one or tmobile one. This would be hard to do since they are already producing the hardware for both networks.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

I didn't see a link to the map you made reference too. Was it this one? Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

And I don't know where this info for two versions is coming from. That certainly isn't the info on the HTC Blog. From that it seems like they are just treating this as a varient of the DE or unlocked versions. But what they should have done is use something similar to the Tmobile version. Don't know why they aren't doing that.

RedSwedishFish

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
If you are on the east coast, I would say no, especially if you travel. Driving along the I-95 corridor this past weekend, I saw only 2 areas that had even a blip of 4G/LTE coverage (outside Cherry Hill, NJ and Washington DC). It's going to be some time before everything is re-farmed, and even then, the coverage between cities/areas is pretty lacking. Driving along I-76 to Ohio, I've had areas where I get nothing but 2G.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I would recommend that you find out whether or not your area has had the 1900MHz band refarmed. Ask at your local T-Mobile store. You would also know because only stores in refarmed areas sell the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.

I live in an LTE area, so I could still get decent speeds on the HTC One-Google Edition.

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

If you travel a lot out of your city then I would say don't do T-Mobile. Right now T-Mobile only has like 7 cities on LTE. I think that pc magazine did an article on it that you can look up and find out which cities, buy I think they are Portland, san Jose, phoenix, las Vegas and that's all I think I can recall.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
If you travel a lot out of your city then I would say don't do T-Mobile. Right now T-Mobile only has like 7 cities on LTE. I think that pc magazine did an article on it that you can look up and find out which cities, buy I think they are Portland, san Jose, phoenix, las Vegas and that's all I think I can recall.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

There's other places too. Southern California for instance. LTE has been on in parts of L.A. for awhile now. And I think San Diego has had a few areas. And Orange County in between just started lighting up a bit today from the reports I have seen. However things are very spotty which is why my advice remains the same....stick with the tmobile version, not the Google edition if you are the impatient type, but if you can wait until things smooth out with the refarmed and LTE rollout, then go for it.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, I live in southern California. But I'm not sure if my coverage because they can say LA, but I'm not in actual LA. I'm like 30 or 40min. Away from it. So I don't know.

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Just get the tmobile subsidized phone, and update the software to the google Edition.
It should be fairly easy once it's out.

Sent from my Nexus

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea how to properly read these coverage maps. If I don't have the blobs over my actual town does that mean I'll get no coverage?

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
This is a site that users can log their address and confirm they have 1900 mhz coverage. I'd say you're good to go. But I wouldn't take my word for it as I'm not a representative or employee of tmobile. I would just call tmobile or get on their website and chat with a tmobile representative. They should be able to tell you if your address receives 1900 mhz. But looking at this map and the amount of people reporting 1900 mhz coverage in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, I'd say you're good to go. Los Angeles is one of tmobiles largest markets so they were getting 1900 mhz when tmobile first started refarming.
uhu8azyz.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
This is a site that users can log their address and confirm they have 1900 mhz coverage. I'd say you're good to go. But I wouldn't take my word for it as I'm not a representative or employee of tmobile. I would just call tmobile or get on their website and chat with a tmobile representative. They should be able to tell you if your address receives 1900 mhz. But looking at this map and the amount of people reporting 1900 mhz coverage in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, I'd say you're good to go. Los Angeles is one of tmobiles largest markets so they were getting 1900 mhz when tmobile first started refarming.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/12/uhu8azyz.jpg

When they say Los Angeles do they mean only the actual city or the county?

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
When they say Los Angeles do they mean only the actual city or the county?

Idk. Judging by the amount of people outside of LA reporting a 1900mhz signal I'd say the entire metro area. But again it may be best to just speak with tmobile and ask them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173