Google Edition camera app w/ Photosphere - easy install, no root needed

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Here's the camera (and gallery) app from the Google Edition phones, which lets you record and view Photosphere images. The file has been pulled directly from Jerry's GS4 GE system dump, no tampering at all.

So far I've been able to install it normally on the GS4 and HTC One (Euro, skinned versions), the Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia SP. I'm charging an old ICS device as I write this to test on that too. Should definitely work on 4.1 and up, though.

Enjoy!

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites...es/articleimage/684/2012/11/GalleryGoogle.apk

Update: Direct link, since the file uploader is having issues. Seems to work on the LG Optimus Vu, which runs ICS 4.0.3.

Update 2: New URL that's just the APK, no unzipping required. If you downloaded the earlier one, just unzip it, don't try to flash it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dustin Wilkie

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I tried it on my Galaxy Note i717 running 4.1.2.......didn't work

*edit* tried just downloading the APK and it works fine

Last edited:

jeephacker

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
It did not install on my GS3 with CyanogenMod 10.1.0 stable

Edit: After backing up Gallery2.apk and uninstalling with Titanium Backup, I was able to install the new camera. Works great!

Last edited:

WindRunner

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Not working on my S3 with CM10.1 - although I have used an older solution on previous occasions, photosphere never worked well and often interfered with or even prevented basic picture taking.

This package, however, tries the install and simply returns: "App not installed."
Talk about some meaningless error messages...

EDIT: 10.1 from a pre-stable nightly, which seems to be a variation on the people who posted above me.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Updated link that's just the APK, for convenience. If you downloaded the earlier link, remember you just need to unzip it and grab the APK. It's not a flashable zip.

kevin.slawinski

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Installed fine on my Razr Maxx, It gave me a second gallery and camera app (I have 2 of each now).

I don't have a photosphere option, it's just the normal Panorama that I always had.