Backwards Thought: Anyone planning on flashing Sense 5 to the HTC One Google Edition?!

ledfrog

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I know this idea is counterintuitive by nature, but I was just curious if anyone planned on actually installing the stock HTC One ROM on the Google Play Edition, but perhaps without all the carrier bloatware?

The only reason I ask is because of all this talk/complaining I've heard about the HTC One only really being what it was because of Sense 5, while a pure Android version pretty much strips away all that was great about it. I'm coming from the Nexus 4 and I bought the Google Edition of the HTC One mainly because I loved the design of the phone as well as the fact that it has LTE. Like many others, I felt like some of the past Nexus devices (Nexus 4 included) suffered spec-wise due to manufacturers not wanting to compete with their own flagship devices that were carrier-branded. So now with these Google Play Editions, we can get the Nexus experience on a top-of-the line device, but I still can't help but wonder if all of those extra manufacturer features are what helped bring these devices to the top in the first place.

With that said, I've never experienced Sense 5 and I was thinking that maybe even for a short period of time that I might want to flash it onto my Google Play Edition and make the comparison myself. After thinking about it all, I probably should have just gotten the subsidized version from AT&T or the unlocked version from HTC and then flashed pure Android on it if I ended up hating Sense 5!!

Anyway...what are your thoughts??

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I know this idea is counterintuitive by nature, but I was just curious if anyone planned on actually installing the stock HTC One ROM on the Google Play Edition, but perhaps without all the carrier bloatware?

The only reason I ask is because of all this talk/complaining I've heard about the HTC One only really being what it was because of Sense 5, while a pure Android version pretty much strips away all that was great about it. I'm coming from the Nexus 4 and I bought the Google Edition of the HTC One mainly because I loved the design of the phone as well as the fact that it has LTE. Like many others, I felt like some of the past Nexus devices (Nexus 4 included) suffered spec-wise due to manufacturers not wanting to compete with their own flagship devices that were carrier-branded. So now with these Google Play Editions, we can get the Nexus experience on a top-of-the line device, but I still can't help but wonder if all of those extra manufacturer features are what helped bring these devices to the top in the first place.

With that said, I've never experienced Sense 5 and I was thinking that maybe even for a short period of time that I might want to flash it onto my Google Play Edition and make the comparison myself. After thinking about it all, I probably should have just gotten the subsidized version from AT&T or the unlocked version from HTC and then flashed pure Android on it if I ended up hating Sense 5!!

Personally, I think the HTC ONE is the only android phone that does not need a custom rom. I really like sense 5 b.c it feels very "vanilla." I like blinkfeed and the added camera functions. If I could upgrade at a subsidized price I would get it through my carrier and just root to remove the bloatware. If I had to pay full price, I would get the google edition version and wait for apks to add the missing features.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

I think the fact that we are even talking about this option is a testament as to how great it is to be an android user right now! I've gone back and forth between the GS4 and the ONE for over a month now and while I currently have the S4, I am supposed to be meeting up with someone today to trade it for a 64gb HTC ONE that I will immediately flash the GE rom on. I am looking forward to being back with the ONE. After extensive use of all the top android smartphones on the market right now, I can say the ONE is the best overall experience. Sorry I got a bit off topic but back to Sense 5 it is by far the best carrier skin I have used to date. I would be perfectly fine running it (minus the ATT bloat) as a permanent daily driver.

ledfrog

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think the HTC ONE is the only android phone that does not need a custom rom. I really like sense 5 b.c it feels very "vanilla." I like blinkfeed and the added camera functions. If I could upgrade at a subsidized price I would get it through my carrier and just root to remove the bloatware. If I had to pay full price, I would get the google edition version and wait for apks to add the missing features.

Yeah I guess in the end...if you're rooting, the different models end up being the same except one has an AT&T logo on the back and the other doesn't.

ledfrog

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the fact that we are even talking about this option is a testament as to how great it is to be an android user right now! I've gone back and forth between the GS4 and the ONE for over a month now and while I currently have the S4, I am supposed to be meeting up with someone today to trade it for a 64gb HTC ONE that I will immediately flash the GE rom on. I am looking forward to being back with the ONE. After extensive use of all the top android smartphones on the market right now, I can say the ONE is the best overall experience. Sorry I got a bit off topic but back to Sense 5 it is by far the best carrier skin I have used to date. I would be perfectly fine running it (minus the ATT bloat) as a permanent daily driver.

I almost have my mom convinced that she needs to finally upgrade her Sprint phone to the HTC One, so I think I'll check out Sense 5 on her phone before deciding to change mine over. In the meantime, I'm on the hunt for the best ROM I can find. Cyanogenmod looks like the most supported, but does anyone else have any favorites? And why?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I almost have my mom convinced that she needs to finally upgrade her Sprint phone to the HTC One, so I think I'll check out Sense 5 on her phone before deciding to change mine over. In the meantime, I'm on the hunt for the best ROM I can find. Cyanogenmod looks like the most supported, but does anyone else have any favorites? And why?

My favorite Sense based rom was/is Android Revolution. It's over in the HTC ONE international forums on XDA. Great battery life and everything works perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

ledfrog have you received your ONE GPe yet?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Not yet! I ordered it with the free standard shipping, so it'll be here by end of day tomorrow.

Awesome! You will have to let us know how you like it. I got back to a ONE finally today and am loving it with the Google edition ROM.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So you put the GE ROM on it yourself? If so, how did you do it? Care to post a quick tutorial in a dedicated thread (or here)?

Awesome! You will have to let us know how you like it. I got back to a ONE finally today and am loving it with the Google edition ROM.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

ledfrog

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

I love it! But it's really a tough comparison between the Nexus 4 since the majority of features for any device tends to come from the software, so the HTC One is practically the same as the Nexus 4. However, what I love about it besides the sleek design is the fact that I now have LTE and a much faster phone! I'm still debating on whether I want to try Sense 5, so as of now I'm not doing any rooting.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy running both the sense and google edition ROM. I can't wait for the dual boot setup

HTC One - Unlocked, ARHD 12, Bulletproof Kernel, Several mods.
Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I love it! But it's really a tough comparison between the Nexus 4 since the majority of features for any device tends to come from the software, so the HTC One is practically the same as the Nexus 4. However, what I love about it besides the sleek design is the fact that I now have LTE and a much faster phone! I'm still debating on whether I want to try Sense 5, so as of now I'm not doing any rooting.

That's great! As I said previously, I loaded up the Google Edition Rom and it's really just about perfect. I don't find myself missing Sense but it's still by far the best manufacturer overlay out right now.