Should I insure the HTC One GPe?

sojourner753

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the HTC One GPe. It will give me the near-nexus experience that I've come to love from my Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus One before that. I also think it's ultimately more cost effective than going with a subsidized route through AT&T. My question is, if I assume that I'll use the phone for a year or two, does it make sense to get a third party warranty like SquareTrade to protect my investment?

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Unless you have the cash to replace it out of pocket if anything does happen, insurance is a good idea. For a $600 device, insurance would need to be over $25 a month for it not to pay for itself, assuming you actually need to file a claim. If you don't need to then the actually closer to $200 you spend over 2 years is kinda steep for not receiving a product at the end, but that's the gamble. Either you need it and it's very cheap or you don't need it and it's kinda expensive.

sojourner753

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was thinking. The SquareTrade warranty looks reasonable. I've never had a need to replace a phone but for a $600 investment I should cover myself just in case. Thank you for your feedback.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely get insurance unless(as stated above) you have plenty of money to where another 600 in case something happens to this one wouldn't be missed.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Sure. Given that you can always find a promo code to knock off cost and you can do monthly plan for a few bucks, makes sense for a device you paid that much for. It's also good because you get a prorated amount back if you sell the device and cancel the plan. Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I do have a question though, you said "I also think it's ultimately more cost effective than going with a subsidized route through AT&T". What are your reasons for saying that? If you're going to stay with AT&T the entire 2 years then getting a subsidized device is definitely cheaper because the plan price is the name whether you got the phone on discount or full price. It would seem that buying a phone off contract on saves in the long run if the plan price was different. Just wondering your thoughts because I'm curious of what I may not be considering. Thanks.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
My subsidy htc one was 182 out the door. Since I'm now locked in a contract I opted for Costco square trade warranty. It's different than the standard square trade. For 99 bucks I get up to five replacements in two years overnight for a 25 dollar deductible. New or grade a remanufactured. Considering it would have been about 260at the att store for the phone alone I think I got a killer deal at Costco with warranty.

I'd suggest it. That's a lot of money to pay for a device you could potentially break very easily. Be cautious with it.

Sent from my HTC One

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Squaretrade sent out new promo codes 30% off for today only and 20% if used after today but by 7/22. Code at checkout: 1MQ09WSZ000. Just wanted to pass along.

sojourner753

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
You're certainly right about the price plan costs. It's unlikely I would leave AT&T in the next 2 years. I think I was covering for the fact that I really want the stock edition supported out side of carrier delays. I would also have to wait for December. Not a tragedy but I really want to replace my Galaxy Nexus in the next few months.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I opted for SquareTrade on my HTC One. If you haven't purchased it yet this discount code: 1MQ07CCS009 is valid until 7/22 for 20% off (Up To $30).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz