So, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the HTC One GPe. It will give me the near-nexus experience that I've come to love from my Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus One before that. I also think it's ultimately more cost effective than going with a subsidized route through AT&T. My question is, if I assume that I'll use the phone for a year or two, does it make sense to get a third party warranty like SquareTrade to protect my investment?

Posted via Android Central App
    07-17-2013 03:57 PM
    Unless you have the cash to replace it out of pocket if anything does happen, insurance is a good idea. For a $600 device, insurance would need to be over $25 a month for it not to pay for itself, assuming you actually need to file a claim. If you don't need to then the actually closer to $200 you spend over 2 years is kinda steep for not receiving a product at the end, but that's the gamble. Either you need it and it's very cheap or you don't need it and it's kinda expensive.
    07-17-2013 04:03 PM
    That's what I was thinking. The SquareTrade warranty looks reasonable. I've never had a need to replace a phone but for a $600 investment I should cover myself just in case. Thank you for your feedback.
    07-18-2013 06:41 AM
    I would definitely get insurance unless(as stated above) you have plenty of money to where another 600 in case something happens to this one wouldn't be missed.
    07-18-2013 01:29 PM
    Sure. Given that you can always find a promo code to knock off cost and you can do monthly plan for a few bucks, makes sense for a device you paid that much for. It's also good because you get a prorated amount back if you sell the device and cancel the plan. Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I do have a question though, you said "I also think it's ultimately more cost effective than going with a subsidized route through AT&T". What are your reasons for saying that? If you're going to stay with AT&T the entire 2 years then getting a subsidized device is definitely cheaper because the plan price is the name whether you got the phone on discount or full price. It would seem that buying a phone off contract on saves in the long run if the plan price was different. Just wondering your thoughts because I'm curious of what I may not be considering. Thanks.
    07-18-2013 04:03 PM
    My subsidy htc one was 182 out the door. Since I'm now locked in a contract I opted for Costco square trade warranty. It's different than the standard square trade. For 99 bucks I get up to five replacements in two years overnight for a 25 dollar deductible. New or grade a remanufactured. Considering it would have been about 260at the att store for the phone alone I think I got a killer deal at Costco with warranty.

I'd suggest it. That's a lot of money to pay for a device you could potentially break very easily. Be cautious with it.

Sent from my HTC One
    07-18-2013 04:09 PM
    Squaretrade sent out new promo codes 30% off for today only and 20% if used after today but by 7/22. Code at checkout: 1MQ09WSZ000. Just wanted to pass along.
    07-19-2013 08:42 AM
    You're certainly right about the price plan costs. It's unlikely I would leave AT&T in the next 2 years. I think I was covering for the fact that I really want the stock edition supported out side of carrier delays. I would also have to wait for December. Not a tragedy but I really want to replace my Galaxy Nexus in the next few months.
    07-20-2013 05:40 PM
    I opted for SquareTrade on my HTC One. If you haven't purchased it yet this discount code: 1MQ07CCS009 is valid until 7/22 for 20% off (Up To $30).
    07-20-2013 05:45 PM