No Google Wallet on HTC1 GE?

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
New member here, I searched around first but couldn't find anything on this.

Looks like Google Wallet is not approved for the HTC 1 Google Edition?

I transferred my apps over from a Nexus 7 to the HTC 1, where Wallet worked fine, but it doesn't work on the HTC One, doesn't even show up in Google Play when I search for it and the online Wallet site says the HTC 1 Google Edition doesn't have Wallet, which was surprising to me. So, no Wallet on this phone? How do I pay for apps?

Ken CleanAir System

May 2, 2013
Visit site
You pay for apps through the Play Store the same way you do with any Android device. App purchases through the Play Store really has nothing to do with the Google Wallet app. The Wallet app is for paying for goods and services with your phone via NFC at various retailers who support NFC payments (not many do as of yet).

Wallet is (apparently) unsupported on the HTC One because it lacks a piece of hardware (a secure element) that is required for Google Wallet to function. At least that is what I have read.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Ken is right. The chipset used in the Sprint version is different from the others and will support the wallet NFC app.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You pay for apps through the Play Store the same way you do with any Android device. App purchases through the Play Store really has nothing to do with the Google Wallet app. The Wallet app is for paying for goods and services with your phone via NFC at various retailers who support NFC payments (not many do as of yet).

Wallet is (apparently) unsupported on the HTC One because it lacks a piece of hardware (a secure element) that is required for Google Wallet to function. At least that is what I have read.

Ah, thanks, I had no idea, I thought the Google Wallet was what I was using to pay for apps! Thanks.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Ah, thanks, I had no idea, I thought the Google Wallet was what I was using to pay for apps! Thanks.

You probably are using Google Wallet to pay for apps, you just aren't using the Google Wallet app to pay for apps, if this makes sense. There used to be at least two different functions: Google Wallet and Google Checkout. Google Checkout was what you used to pay for apps while the Google Wallet app was used for NFC payments. Google consolidated many of their similar functions last year (?) and Google Checkout and Google Wallet became one function under the Google Wallet name.

On another note, I think that I will return my HTC One because of this. I don't feel like I'm getting the full Google Experience with this phone since I can't use one of the apps that makes Google unique. I'm surprised and disappointed that HTC didn't include the secure element and that Google allowed this in a phone marketed as a Google Experience phone.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
You probably are using Google Wallet to pay for apps, you just aren't using the Google Wallet app to pay for apps, if this makes sense. There used to be at least two different functions: Google Wallet and Google Checkout. Google Checkout was what you used to pay for apps while the Google Wallet app was used for NFC payments. Google consolidated many of their similar functions last year (?) and Google Checkout and Google Wallet became one function under the Google Wallet name.

On another note, I think that I will return my HTC One because of this. I don't feel like I'm getting the full Google Experience with this phone since I can't use one of the apps that makes Google unique. I'm surprised and disappointed that HTC didn't include the secure element and that Google allowed this in a phone marketed as a Google Experience phone.

I wonder how much you think you'll lose by not being able to "touch" your phone at a checkout register that even supports Google Wallet. That's about it for Google Wallet functionality. Right? Or, am I missing something?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how much you think you'll lose by not being able to "touch" your phone at a checkout register that even supports Google Wallet. That's about it for Google Wallet functionality. Right? Or, am I missing something?

As a person who likes to use Google Wallet, I'll lose enough. This is a key part of the Google Experience to me. Most phones can't use Google Wallet in the US (other than Sprint phones) due to the carrier agreements with Google. In order for me to think that the HTC One is worth $600 it needs to have the full Google Experience, not just part of it. If I paid $200 for it, I'd consider keeping it. It's the principle behind selling a phone that has a partial experience that is part of the reason that I want to return this device. The Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition has Google Wallet; why doesn't the HTC One?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
As a person who likes to use Google Wallet, I'll lose enough. This is a key part of the Google Experience to me. Most phones can't use Google Wallet in the US (other than Sprint phones) due to the carrier agreements with Google. In order for me to think that the HTC One is worth $600 it needs to have the full Google Experience, not just part of it. If I paid $200 for it, I'd consider keeping it. It's the principle behind selling a phone that has a partial experience that is part of the reason that I want to return this device. The Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition has Google Wallet; why doesn't the HTC One?

I agree with you. Google Wallet is definitely something that I enjoy using with my N4 and it was something that I looked forward to using when I was researching my next phone. Sure, you could use your credit or debit card the same way, but I just really like paying with my phone. It is cool and convenient. And to one of the above posters that said that there are just a few places you could use it, I would have to disagree. I have found that there are many places that support Google Wallet. Any place that has the tap to pay symbol takes Google Wallet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
There are some hacks you can do to get wallet to work if you're rooted but it's kind of a pain.

I feel like trolling hard on this thread but I won't...enjoy your devices all!

Because you're on sprint and wallet works for you....?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There are some hacks you can do to get wallet to work if you're rooted but it's kind of a pain.

Because you're on sprint and wallet works for you....?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

No, I was all set to get the HTC One GE and when I heard that Google wallet was not installed and would not work, I decided on the S4 GE. I used Google Wallet as often as I could with my Nexus 4 and really wanted that again. Kinda a bummer as I was looking to try out an HTC product. On the bright side, I had a lot of cases etc for my S4 so I was all set with my S4 GE.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I feel like trolling hard on this thread but I won't...enjoy your devices all!

We appreciate you not trolling! :D

I understand, though. I wanted to get the HTC One because I already had the Touchwiz version of the SGS4 and wanted to keep it this way. I was curious about the HTC One when it first came out, but didn't like Sense. I thought that the HTC One GPE would be the best choice for me, but it isn't without the full Google Experience.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
We can blame HTC on this, they clearly cut a corner by using the AT&T variant for both the DE and GPe and AT&T does NOT want the ability to use Google Wallet since they are blocking it on devices that do have the ability.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
We can blame HTC on this, they clearly cut a corner by using the AT&T variant for both the DE and GPe and AT&T does NOT want the ability to use Google Wallet since they are blocking it on devices that do have the ability.

For their own phones AT&T blocks it and GW does not work on international unlocked models. I used it on my Nexus 4 and am currently using it on my Google Edition S4 and I am on AT&T.

Edit: I think I just said what you said lol!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exoduss