Switching from iPhone 5 to HTC Google Edition..few questions

Chad H

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys,
Just had a few quick questions. I'm getting ready to order the HTC One Google Edition through the play store. I've done about as much research as I can and watched a million reviews. I'm on AT&T and have LTE in my area(southern Alabama). My question is, with AT&T if I travel to an area that doesn't have LTE will this phone switch to HSPA+ or something different? Also, has anyone had any problems with group messaging with iPhone users? Thanks! :)

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
Just had a few quick questions. I'm getting ready to order the HTC One Google Edition through the play store. I've done about as much research as I can and watched a million reviews. I'm on AT&T and have LTE in my area(southern Alabama). My question is, with AT&T if I travel to an area that doesn't have LTE will this phone switch to HSPA+ or something different? Also, has anyone had any problems with group messaging with iPhone users? Thanks! :)

Welcome to Android:)
Yes the device will switch to HTPA+ if no LTE is available. Sadly, I do not live in a LTE area so I am always on HSPA+. To me the speeds are good enough for what a phone can do but I guess that's because I have never used LTE. As far as messaging goes, I am not entirely sure as I don't really group message.
Let me know if you have any questions once you get your new beauty:)

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I had trouble with group messaging on the stock messaging app. I switched to Textra and couldn't be happier...it is simple and solved all my problems.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to let you know that I recently switched from the iPhone 5 to the HTC one and couldn't be happier. I got the unlocked version and then did the conversion to the Google play edition. I really like stock android and the fact that I will get timely updates.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the Google Play edition on AT&T. It does indeed go to H+ when LTE is not available. Also group messaging with iPhone users is absolutely not a problem with the stock messaging app for me, but when I use a third party app like Chomp SMS, there are issues. If you are OK using the stock app (I am not) then you'll be fine.

Let me also note that as a long time iPhone user who has tried Android three times and gone right back, this phone is absolutely amazing. It is the Android device closest to the iPhone and stock Google is better than all the skinned versions in my opinion. You will really enjoy this device.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I too am also about to switch... The HTC One is probably the best looking device I've seen. Quick question though... I want a google play edition HTC One, is there any difference than buying an AT&T HTC One and rooting it, and flashing a stock rom? It's been a long time since I have been in the rooting game. Will I still get updates from AT&T if its rooted running a stock rom?

svencux

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
if you want directly google updates in the future than there is little more to it.

1. the phone needs to be S-off. This only is possible if your phone runs android 4.1.2
2. you need to change the CID nimer of the phone to GOOGL001, so it will be recognized a google phone
3. you need to flash the google RUU
4. to get OTA updates you need to flash the Stock Recovery of GE

Sure if you google you will find many how to's.

I am not sure if i allowed to post a link to a side that is giving a good how to (it would be in reman anyway) but this works great i did it this way.
[Anleitung] HTC One zur Google Edition verwandeln (mit OTA) - Android-Hilfe.de
I am also comig from an iphone5 had the sence version of the one. But now with the stock google 4.3 i love this phone!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol