I defected from iPhone

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
Well after much thought and asking questions in this great forum plus reading a lot of reviews i sold my iphone 5 today and bought the HTC one, it was a bit scary after having two iPhones but after having the phone just a few hours i am loving it already, IOS 7 was the clincher, i knew after i downloaded it that it was time to change, I'm sure i will have lots of questions about my new phone.....by the way mine isn't the Google edition, we don't have that here in the UK so is the right category for the non Google phone?

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I do like the stock keyboard on the HTC one but today when i was trying decide between HTC one Galaxy s4 i really liked the keyboard in s4 as it had a row of numbers above the letters so the user didn't have to go to 123 and then back to abc, does anyone know of a keyboard app that has that feature?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You've applied the right prescription in going with Android and you're bound to feel really great before you know it. Congrats on your new phone!

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
You've applied the right prescription in going with Android and you're bound to feel really great before you know it. Congrats on your new phone!

Thank you, i do already, how on earth did i put up with Apples restrictions for so long I'm now asking myself, I'm soooo loving this phone and i was so nervous about the switch.

josuerios777

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
by the way mine isn't the Google edition, we don't have that here in the UK so is the right category for the non Google phone?

I don't believe they sell the Google edition in the UK but I would say you made a really great choice since the One is nicely built and even though it has a custom user interface it doesn't lag like some other phones. As for a keyboard, I wouldn't know exactly which one but you'll get results when you search "keyboard" in the play store. On another note, in the future if you're ever interested in rooting your phone and/or flashing custom ROMs ( I'd suggest you wait a long while until it interests you though) these forums are a great place to get help.

Posted via Android Central App

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe they sell the Google edition in the UK but I would say you made a really great choice since the One is nicely built and even though it has a custom user interface it doesn't lag like some other phones. As for a keyboard, I wouldn't know exactly which one but you'll get results when you search "keyboard" in the play store. On another note, in the future if you're ever interested in rooting your phone and/or flashing custom ROMs ( I'd suggest you wait a long while until it interests you though) these forums are a great place to get help.

Posted via Android Central App
thank you, i think i made the right choice,i love the look and feel of this phone, i did have a quick look in the play store at keyboards, I'll have a more detailed look tomorrow, i'm getting on well with the phone, done a systems update and set a live wallpaper so far, i won't want to root it, i never did jailbreak my iPhones, right up to the last hour i was undecided on the one or the s4 but the 32gb memory and the great quality build of the one swung it for me.

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
About the Play store.....are all the apps in there safe, are they vetted before they go in there? thanks......edit- shoud i install an anti virus on my phone and if so which is the best one?.....preferably a free one but if paid is better i don't mind.

Last edited:

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
About the Play store.....are all the apps in there safe, are they vetted before they go in there? thanks......edit- shoud i install an anti virus on my phone and if so which is the best one?.....preferably a free one but if paid is better i don't mind.

They sure are, Google just removed a while load of malware/junk apps (don't know the approximate number). And Google has a new policy where they will immediately take steps against an application as soon as its reported as being malware.

They've really stepped up their game. They've had to, this is the number one point iOS fans use against android, aside from the fact that it is so easy to root/hack.

You don't really need an antivirus application, just use common sense and only download from the play store. But if it gives you a better peace of mind, go ahead and download one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
They sure are, Google just removed a while load of malware/junk apps (don't know the approximate number). And Google has a new policy where they will immediately take steps against an application as soon as its reported as being malware.

They've really stepped up their game. They've had to, this is the number one point iOS fans use against android, aside from the fact that it is so easy to root/hack.

You don't really need an antivirus application, just use common sense and only download from the play store. But if it gives you a better peace of mind, go ahead and download one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Thank you for that, i just applied a live wallpaper from the play store, i read the reviews first and installed it, i see you can use Amazon too for apps.

smallfrys

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I googled this but can't find anything, is there any way of hiding the app tray on the bottom of the screen?

I've never considered that myself, but I'm guessing someone else has. That's the great thing about Android. You can change pretty much everything. I have a MacBook Air, and I've been impressed with how easy (albeit expensive) it is to customize it compared to Windows. The sad thing is that iOS had the potential to be that way. I would look at alternative Launcher apps such as Nova.

I switched from iOS myself after having the original iPhone and the 3GS. Only things I miss after all that time are how cheap you can get iTunes gift cards for (25+% off sales all the time) and the zoom when you're cut/pasting.

Also, regarding your other question, I don't want to contradict more knowledgeable people, but my understanding is that Android gets more malware than iOS due to it not having a process where apps are checked prior to being accepted. However, when there are enough downloads, Google can remotely kill the offending apps from people's phones. I was actually just reading an article on this . Basically, in terms of how much you should worry, Windows PC>>Android Phone>iOS. So there is a drawback to all the openness. But it's worth it to me. Just be careful when you're downloading new apps on Play store unless they're from established developers or links from here or other enthusiast websites with knowledgeable users who will be looking put for sketchy permissions etc. And use 2-factor authentication and application-specific passwords with your phone's primary GMail account. If you want to be really paranoid, you can even use one email address just for your phone, including app store purchases (don't communicate with it otherwise).

Sent from my Verizon HTC One using Tapatalk 4

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you smallfrys, everyone is great on here at giving a newbie help, i'm a Super Moderator on an iphone forum and also an ipad forum so i know whats what with Apple products but Android is a whole different ball game, i got tired of all the restrictions on iPhone, IOS 7 is pretty dire hence the jump to Android, i'm loving it so far, i just love live wallpapers and i'm sure i'm going to have lots of those....I will have a look at Nova, i might change the keyboard at some point too although right now after the one on iphone 5 the stock keyboard seems a cut above.

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
That live wallpapers will shorten the battery live though but just a little.

About virus issue, been on Android since 2010 never experienced that even once.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

AZBoy28

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android (and the forums) :D
I've used iOS and Android backwards and forwards - so I know both OS well. Android does have a steeper learning curve but the amount of extra features are worth it. Enjoy your new phone!

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
That live wallpapers will shorten the battery live though but just a little.

About virus issue, been on Android since 2010 never experienced that even once.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
Yes i don't mind the shorter battery life, i think it's worth it, it's good to hear that you haven't had any virus's on your phone, as someone said it's just using common sense, going back to the IOS thing, yes it might be safe when downloading apps from the app store but there is some out and out rubbish in there, the trick is to find decent free stuff, not as easy as some might think, even some of the paid apps are not worth having.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, i do already, how on earth did i put up with Apples restrictions for so long I'm now asking myself, I'm soooo loving this phone and i was so nervous about the switch.

Don't feel bad, the Reality Distortion Field (RDF) is strong. Its funny how whenever a new iOS device is launched the reviewers conveniently leave out the stregnth of the RDF broadcasters when that where Apple puts a lot of its marketing and engineering resources. The good thing is that all Android devices, especially the new ones come with RDF jammers. All I have to do is hold my S4 near an iOS-having victim and you can see the clarity start to wash over them. The Reality Distortion Field jammers don't even affect battery life. Welcome to the other side.

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Don't feel bad, the Reality Distortion Field (RDF) is strong. Its funny how whenever a new iOS device is launched the reviewers conveniently leave out the stregnth of the RDF broadcasters when that where Apple puts a lot of its marketing and engineering resources. The good thing is that all Android devices, especially the new ones come with RDF jammers. All I have to do is hold my S4 near an iOS-having victim and you can see the clarity start to wash over them. The Reality Distortion Field jammers don't even affect battery life. Welcome to the other side.

Lol, i must try that....yesterday when i was in phone shop to buy HTC i got talking to two young men, one was an out and out iphone die hard (like i once was) and he just couldn't believe that i just sold my iphone 5, he was totally "YOU DID WHAT???" His friend was the opposite, he hated iphone and was looking at HTC one and Galaxy s4 like me, by the end of our conversation he was sold on HTC one and grateful for my help.....his friend however is staying with iPhone....can't win them all i guess.:)

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this topic has been covered before but i couldn't find anything, what is the best way to transfer music from iTunes on my MacBook Pro to my HTC one?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463