Post 4.4 GPE Experience Thread

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I wanna start this thread to see how everyone's experience is going with 4.4. For me, it was cool at first but I didn't like that it didn't come with the GEL launcher, so I downloaded the apk for that and am currently running it. It is fantastic. Haven't tried all of the features out yet, but I want to see how others are doing with it.

Posted via Android Central App

Paul Rezendes

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I had the new search and Google Launcher installed and working great while on 4.3 so I was used to having it. It was preserved after the 4.4 update completed installing and works just as well, the only thing being different is I now have full transparency like the N5 does with no hacks or anything. The rest of the system has been stable and running great. Battery life is about the same and even a bit worse so far, but I made it through the day with 20% to spare after I got home. I work a 12 hour shift too and I messed with my phone a lot more since I wanted to play with the update. Ill see how it goes today and the rest of the week.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have actually experienced an improvement in the battery. As of writing this I am sitting on 25%. That's after 18 1/2 hours of pretty heavy usage with a lot of it being on LTE. I also had an hour and a half of watching a movie with brightness all the way up. Rally like the change over all. GEL is definitely a must!

markfireblade97

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I didn't get the GEL launcher either, or the lock screen camera icon etc... Where did you get the launcher .apk from?

tambeb

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Just got my OTA about an hour ago. I'm on an official GPE from Google Play, totally stock with no rooting or any of that stuff, and after having the same issues as other people with manually loading KitKat I figured I'd just wait for my official OTA. I did install the GEL apk. So far everything's good but I haven't messed around with the phone or even used it at all really, so I'll have to report back. The install itself was quick and painless, for what that info's worth.

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
anyone gotten root on this update yet? if so what method was used. ?

yeh, I finally got full root, took me a long time and a lot of experiementing. My HTC is the converted one I did myself from the original out of the box HTC one on ATT. I was on a custom rom with TWRP, unlocked bootloader, S-Off, did the conversion and got the 4.3. Then downloaded the OTA 4.4 update and flashed that. Then things went downhill from there . ADB wouldn't work so updated SDK manager to 4.4 , finally got CWM to flash , had a lot of trouble with flashing SuperSU . Then finally got TWRP to flash but still didn't have root. Someone gave me a link to the updated SuperSu SuperSU Download. Flashed that , then from the app drawer reflashed the app SuperSu. and checked with Root Checker Basic app and it finally says " congratulations device is rooted. Took me about 4 days of trial and error but mostly errors, figured it out tho now have a fully rooted , bootloader unlocked, S-Off , 4.4 Kit Kat converted HTC One.

JW4VZW

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I haven't gotten the update yet on my phone. I know the previous owner rooted it, but it is running the stock ROM (or so I was told). In about phone under Kernel Version, it says "3.4.10-gd589381 root@abm011 # 1 Mon Aug19 21:21:28 CST 2013." Does this mean that it is not running the stock ROM?

Waiting4MyAndroid

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I haven't gotten the update yet on my phone. I know the previous owner rooted it, but it is running the stock ROM (or so I was told). In about phone under Kernel Version, it says "3.4.10-gd589381 root@abm011 # 1 Mon Aug19 21:21:28 CST 2013." Does this mean that it is not running the stock ROM?

Here what stock 4.3 should look like:

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1386651564583.jpg
    1386651564583.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 28

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX