Qualcomm? Snapdragon? 600

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
You'll never notice the difference that 200mhz makes in real world use.

Gotcha. Thanks for the help.

HTC One looks very cool but I was wondering with Sense 5.0, can I turn off the news feed crap on the home page of the phone? I'm sure that would be a battery killer any way.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
GPU,Current market least powerful to most: (Quad core)
Mali 400MP
Tegra 3
Power VR 543/544 (Very similar)
Mali T604
Adreno 320
Power VR 554
Tegra 4
New Adreno 330 ( not sure how powerful so just a guess this one)
Power VR 6 series

But alot of gpu power depends on what its built on a architecture, for example 32nm and 28nm this can differ performance. Also what can change the power of how the GPU runs is how many pixels its pushing, for example a gpu will perform better if it was pushing 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080. And lastly if can obviously depend on the clock speed in which the GPU is ran at.

And CPU:

Apple A6 @ 1.3/4
Apple A6X @ 1.2/1.3
Exynos 4 @ 1.4ghz (S3)
Tegra 3 @ 1.5ghz (One X)
Exynos 4 @ 1.6ghz (Note 2)
Tegra 3+ @ 1.7ghz
Snapdragon S4 @ 1.5ghz
Snapdragon 600 @ 1.7-1.9
Exynos Octa
Tegra 4

The octa and tegra 4 im not too sure about because the 600 will definitely be challenging the quad A15 cores now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mali 400MP
Tegra 3
Mali T604
Adreno 320
Power VR 554
Tegra 4
Power VR 6 series

But alot of gpu power depends on what its built on a architecture, for example 32nm and 28nm this can differ performance. Also what can change the power of how the GPU runs is how many pixels its pushing, for example a gpu will perform better if it was pushing 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080. And lastly if can obviously depend on the clock speed in which the GPU is ran at.

And CPU:

Apple A6 @ 1.3/4
Apple A6X @ 1.2/1.3
Exynos 4 @ 1.4ghz (S3)
Tegra 3 @ 1.5ghz (One X)
Tegra 3+ @ 1.7ghz
Snapdragon S4 @ 1.5ghz
Snapdragon 600 @ 1.7-1.9
Exynos Octa
Tegra 4

The octa and tegra 4 im not too sure about because the 600 will definitely be challenging the quad A15 cores now.

I think you confused power with performance. The GPU has the same "raw horsepower" regardless of resolution or software. It's computational capabilities remain the same. Performance, on the other hand, is highly dependent on those things. Without having the same exact device, running the same exact software, it's going to be hard to do a direct comparison of which setup will perform better.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think you confused power with performance. The GPU has the same "raw horsepower" regardless of resolution or software. It's computational capabilities remain the same. Performance, on the other hand, is highly dependent on those things. Without having the same exact device, running the same exact software, it's going to be hard to do a direct comparison of which setup will perform better.

Yeah my apologies, I meant performance not power, and yes your correct, but if anything id rather Adreno 320 in S4 than Power VR 543

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Mali 400MP
Tegra 3
Mali T604
Adreno 320
Power VR 554
Tegra 4
Power VR 6 series

And CPU:

Apple A6 @ 1.3/4
Apple A6X @ 1.2/1.3
Exynos 4 @ 1.4ghz (S3)
Tegra 3 @ 1.5ghz (One X)
Tegra 3+ @ 1.7ghz
Snapdragon S4 @ 1.5ghz
Snapdragon 600 @ 1.7-1.9
Exynos Octa
Tegra 4

While i like your list their is no way you can base these processors on performance by clock speed. The a6/a6x will out perform the s4 clock for clock. And at the exynos 4412 is better than the t3+ if only for the t3 weak memory controller. And the sgx544 may be old but used in apples arrangment with plenty of memory its a monster still sitting above most android devices like the Optimus g in offscreen fill rate test plus a few others. I wish i could find the link but a few months ago i read how the exynos 4412 a6 and ti omap 4430/40 were faster clock for clock than the s4. That will change with the s4 600 but thats just because Qualcomm fixed their memory issues by adding deeper pipes. And don't think im trying to bash the s4 becausw its great its efficient and very fast but its not all that Qualcomm made it out to be

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
One thing I dont get is whats off screen tests about? They just look like loads if squares on tge screen

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Off screen test pretty much emulated playing a game on say on your tv which allows the gpu to run wide open without being limited by the vsync

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I looked at some benchmarks yesterday and found the mali in the s3 is quite good off screen

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't follow this stuff really close...though I do read all the news about it in my RSS feed from Engadget/The Verge/Anandtech...but I assumed these flagship 2013 phones would have the Snapdragon 800 rather than the 600. Are the 800's not ready yet? Will HTC get one-upped by anyone in the first half of 2013 with a Snapdragon 800 phone (Galaxy S4 USA variant possibly?).

Just curious because it seems if HTC/Samsung want to really compete with Apple on the specs wars, the Snapdragon 800 with Adreno 330 would be the choice for LTE models...

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't follow this stuff really close...though I do read all the news about it in my RSS feed from Engadget/The Verge/Anandtech...but I assumed these flagship 2013 phones would have the Snapdragon 800 rather than the 600. Are the 800's not ready yet? Will HTC get one-upped by anyone in the first half of 2013 with a Snapdragon 800 phone (Galaxy S4 USA variant possibly?).

Just curious because it seems if HTC/Samsung want to really compete with Apple on the specs wars, the Snapdragon 800 with Adreno 330 would be the choice for LTE models...

Think of it like the S4 vs the S4 pro. It's gonna well into the second half of the year before we see any Snapdragon 800 phones, methinks. The Galaxy SIV will feature the S600. But the One X/GSIII were still very fluid even with the "lowly" dual core S4.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think you will see more snapdragon 800 in tablets as the power and performance is ridiculous, if any body has heard that rumour of the new nexus 10 or new nexus 7 then they might feature a 600 or 800 and google I/o is in may. That then Gives google time to use the latest hardware.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Think of it like the S4 vs the S4 pro. It's gonna well into the second half of the year before we see any Snapdragon 800 phones, methinks. The Galaxy SIV will feature the S600. But the One X/GSIII were still very fluid even with the "lowly" dual core S4.

The S4 was considered a beast when it was unveiled several months before the HTC One series and Galaxy S3 emerged. The only complaint was a slightly under-powered GPU. I think it's the exact same with the Snapdragon 600 with Adreno 320. It will be great, but it will quickly lose appeal as Apple's new SoC and the Snapdragon 800 are in products only a few months later. Unfortunately, even the Adreno 330 GPU (which is a 50% graphics performance increase over the Adreno 320 in the Snapdragon 600) is said to fall short of the already old Apple A6X from last year.

That being said, the S4 in my Galaxy S3 is still quite fast and I'm very happy with it even today. Upgrading to the Snapdragon 600 is said to be a 40% increase over the S4 so that's already amazing...and I am definitely a believer in real world performance > specs on paper. Unfortunately, the tech world loves specs on paper...and I would rather wait a few months extra to get a HTC One or Galaxy SIV with a Snapdragon 800!

I think you will see more snapdragon 800 in tablets as the power and performance is ridiculous, if any body has heard that rumour of the new nexus 10 or new nexus 7 then they might feature a 600 or 800 and google I/o is in may. That then Gives google time to use the latest hardware.

I think Qualcomm made it pretty clear that we should expect the Snapdragon 800 in phones as well. I have now seen that they don't expect it to be available until the 2nd half of this year though...so it probably won't make it into the Galaxy SIV. I agree Google would be quite happy to one-up everyone (except Apple, again) by releasing a new Nexus with the Snapdragon 800...it's just too bad they probably will skip on LTE again...that's the only thing holding me back from my desire to go pure-Google.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The S4 was considered a beast when it was unveiled several months before the HTC One series and Galaxy S3 emerged. The only complaint was a slightly under-powered GPU. I think it's the exact same with the Snapdragon 600 with Adreno 320. It will be great, but it will quickly lose appeal as Apple's new SoC and the Snapdragon 800 are in products only a few months later. Unfortunately, even the Adreno 330 GPU (which is a 50% graphics performance increase over the Adreno 320 in the Snapdragon 600) is said to fall short of the already old Apple A6X from last year.

That being said, the S4 in my Galaxy S3 is still quite fast and I'm very happy with it even today. Upgrading to the Snapdragon 600 is said to be a 40% increase over the S4 so that's already amazing...and I am definitely a believer in real world performance > specs on paper. Unfortunately, the tech world loves specs on paper...and I would rather wait a few months extra to get a HTC One or Galaxy SIV with a Snapdragon 800!

Agreed! The S4 is keeping my phone buttery smooth, even to this day. With the S600 said to be a 40% increase (at least) over the S4 Pro, I think I'll be a happy camper. And I think Apple will destroy the competition tech-spec wise this go around, unfortunately.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple suck, they made a dual core custom chip of their own and for them it was pretty good but then not long after the nexus 10 come about with its dual A15 and just wiped the floor with the A6X. Now qualcomm, nvidia and Samsung are just too far ahead over apple to even compete.

The only thing I thought apple done well on was the power vr 554 which is a hell of a gpu

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza