Anyone else slightly disapointed in the screen size?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Lmao....so have you mocked up a phone and done extensive testing to find that exactly 4.99 inches of screen is optimal for you or did you just decide to go by the rumored specs of a phone you have never seen, much less held.

Simple math man. 4.99>4.7

Duhz Didntz Youz Knoz thatz. Nothing Elze Matterz

Edit: Dont forget its called the SIV and the internet already says its to be the best phone ever and that anything else is worse. I mean everyone else should just wait till it comes out and then copy it right? Its what the internet says...

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
In limited use, I think it's a borderline one-hander device. Not as big as a GNote, for sure. But I'm going to have to adjust to single-hand it the same way I do, say, the N4. Gonna be interesting, for sure.

facedown41

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't want a phone bigger than this, I think the GNote2 is a lil goofy. The DNA is using its space better but I really like the 4.8 of my gs3 and I want to keep my phones around that size.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe its just cause I have small hands. I find 4.7" to be solidly beyond the 1 hand use mark. 4.5" is pushing one hand use for me. So I don't like 4.7" screens, because if the screen is going to be too big for me to use one handed, I want it to be a very large screen. Give me 4.3" or give me 5.3", I'd be happy with either one but don't really like the sizes inbetween.

Garrett92C

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe its just cause I have small hands. I find 4.7" to be solidly beyond the 1 hand use mark. 4.5" is pushing one hand use for me. So I don't like 4.7" screens, because if the screen is going to be too big for me to use one handed, I want it to be a very large screen. Give me 4.3" or give me 5.3", I'd be happy with either one but don't really like the sizes inbetween.

I've found that 4.7 is the max for me. Lots of viewing area and I can still mostly use it with one hand. I do still miss my HTC Sensation sometimes though... That thing was very easy to use one-handed and felt great to hold.

(I'm 6'2" with big hands, btw)

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Lmao....so have you mocked up a phone and done extensive testing to find that exactly 4.99 inches of screen is optimal for you or did you just decide to go by the rumored specs of a phone you have never seen, much less held.

Based on current form factors 4.8 is better, 5.5 is too big so that leaves the 4.99 as the sweet spot. Whoever gets there first wins. Straight physics.

You could go to 5 but don't be ridiculous.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't have the thinnest bezels. The Xperia Z and the Oppo Find 5 are barely bigger. and they are 5". All this about 5" being too big is moot if it can fit into the same size as yesterday's 4.7" phone. I have a Galaxy Note II and even though the screen size isn't too big for my hand, it's too big for my pocket. Both the One X and GS3 are on the smaller side. My pockets can go a little bigger. A 5" would be the perfect size for me.

Garrett92C

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Based on current form factors 4.8 is better, 5.5 is too big so that leaves the 4.99 as the sweet spot. Whoever gets there first wins. Straight physics.

You could go to 5 but don't be ridiculous.

Even though you can get a pretty good idea how large a phone will be based on the screen size, it doesn't give you the full picture. Don't forget to account for the size of the bezels.

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Even though you can get a pretty good idea how large a phone will be based on the screen size, it doesn't give you the full picture. Don't forget to account for the size of the bezels.

Agreed. The reality of physics trumps all speculation.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If i could hold and operate a 20" screen phone with one hand, i am sure would like that phone. Over all device size is everything, as stated above. Screen size is more or less irrelevant. Bigger is better, but ergonomics trump all.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think 4'7 is the perfect size in my opinion. Especially if they keep the bezels at a nice size. It actually looks a big smaller than the N4 but i'm not sure. I have HUGE hands, where the Note II can be one handed by me, but I prefer the 4'7inch N4. This phone looks perfect (though I'll be hanging on to my N4)

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
It's all a matter of preference. I'm disappointed that it's so big. I hate big ass phones. If I wanted to talk into a shoe box I would have kept my 1995 Motorola.

skoolboi

May 28, 2012
Visit site
the square body is something I dont like about the EVO LTE. IT doesn't feel good in the hand and with the screen size I would have still preferred them to place the power button on the side its cumbersome to stretch and reach it from the top when I usually hold my phone from the bottom.

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the 4.7 inch screen will be very attractive for most of the Android customers. I think 4.7 is a great size, this phone has very little bezzel on the sides and should give plenty of screen to use.
PS The Benchmarks are over 12,000 That is right over twelve thousand.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
A 1080P display at 4.7" will give this device the highest pixel density of any phone at 468PPI. What's there to be disappointed about? That's pretty awesome IMO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2