HTC's Savior?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So what does everyone think about the One now that it is Official? Is it the savior htc or another unappreciated one X?

My personal opinion is that i think it will be a better appreciated one X, but not the market dominating device they were hoping for. Advertising will be very key. They really need to push the screen. The single fatal flaw of Samsung is their plastic build materials and screen. Both of these are something that htc has destroyed them in. I would even say that the screen and build of the One will destroy the S4. This is a fact less base, but i believe that it will be true since Samsung has shown no signs of fixing these...

Sadly though, build and screen don't sell phones in this world like they should, and the S4 is already a guarantied success and the over hyped X phone will probably be too, whether they are inferior or not.

Also, i see the same tards cluttering up the tech sites with no removable battery or SD comments as well as the obligatory "IT SUX CUZ ITZ NOT STOCK ANDROID" comments. I guess these are sadly necessary in the android world we live in :'(

What do you think this phone will do for HTC?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So what does everyone think about the One now that it is Official? Is it the savior htc or another unappreciated one X?

My personal opinion is that i think it will be a better appreciated one X, but not the market dominating device they were hoping for. Advertising will be very key. They really need to push the screen. The single fatal flaw of Samsung is their plastic build materials and screen. Both of these are something that htc has destroyed them in. I would even say that the screen and build of the One will destroy the S4. This is a fact less base, but i believe that it will be true since Samsung has shown no signs of fixing these...

Sadly though, build and screen don't sell phones in this world like they should, and the S4 is already a guarantied success and the over hyped X phone will probably be too, whether they are inferior or not.

Also, i see the same tards cluttering up the tech sites with no removable battery or SD comments as well as the obligatory "IT SUX CUZ ITZ NOT STOCK ANDROID" comments. I guess these are sadly necessary in the android world we live in :'(

What do you think this phone will do for HTC?

There wasn't much "wrong" with last year's One X, S, and V but getting the One on as many carriers as possible is a huge win. Unified marketing will help them. It's all going to come down to advertising when it's all said and done. No one will buy it if they don't know about it.

fredaroony#AC

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Not if there many users out there like me around. I've owned a few HTC devices in the past but the One X will be my last.

While the device itself is fine, HTC's nonsense with Jelly Bean and the CID lockdowns was utter crap. Especially since I had already unlocked my device via HTCDev. If I wanted to be locked down again I would have bought a iPhone!

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
There wasn't much "wrong" with last year's One X, S, and V but getting the One on as many carriers as possible is a huge win. Unified marketing will help them. It's all going to come down to advertising when it's all said and done. No one will buy it if they don't know about it.

This is very true. No verizon is a big bummer though. In my area verizon is king. I have still yet to see a one x in the wild it is so bad. I probably wont wee this phone in person for months and months. If the rest of the country is like where i live, no verizon will kill it alone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not if there many users out there like me around. I've owned a few HTC devices in the past but the One X will be my last.

While the device itself is fine, HTC's nonsense with Jelly Bean and the CID lockdowns was utter crap. Especially since I had already unlocked my device via HTCDev. If I wanted to be locked down again I would have bought a iPhone!

That's totally fine. Users like you are the minority. The "normals" and their buying power don't care about those details.

fredaroony#AC

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You are probably correct but I also buy a new phone every 3-4 months when I get bored but HTC wont be getting any of that now. You only have to go into forums like XDA to see many others with the same opinion.

ArgonNJ#CB

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
No, something hardware wise will end up being wrong with it, just like the wifi issue on the One X. I'm curious to see how it's radios will perform with an all aluminum unibody design. Even Apple used a combination of Glass and aluminum on the iPhone 5.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You are probably correct but I also buy a new phone every 3-4 months when I get bored but HTC wont be getting any of that now. You only have to go into forums like XDA to see many others with the same opinion.

Again, I'm not saying people like you don't exist. I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things, those communities are the minority.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
After seeing some of the hands on I almost feel that HTC has moved FURTHER away from success. While the hardware looks amazing, I think they did the exact opposite of what they should have done with Sense. Where Samsung has succeeded with their ugly nature UX is making it a compliment to Android. All the extra features, other than the visual aspects of it, can be pushed aside. If you got a replacement home launcher you could basically be running a stock look and feel but still getting all of those Samsung add ons that give you the added value and differentiation. HTC still seems convinced that how they feel a phone should be used is the way an HTC phone will used. Im not going to harp on it, but I will mention it. HTC left the stupid battery saving toggle in the notification draw. Who likes that? What engineer at HTC got their way and had that in there? I will absolutely check this phone out, but I am not nearly as excited as I was at 8 am this morning.

And I have to say, no wireless charging is a big letdown. This is a feature I was looking forward to in my next smartphone.

Last edited:

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Put it to you bluntly: if I don't see HTC One commercials saturating the airwaves, and attacking Galaxy products for their plastic construction and display, HTC doesn't stand a chance. There is nothing that makes Samsung superior to HTC except advertising, and HTC needs to start swinging back - NOW. If they don't pull out the heavy guns and bash Samsung with everything they have, I won't feel the least bit sorry when they slide down the tubes.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Put it to you bluntly: if I don't see HTC One commercials saturating the airwaves, and attacking Galaxy products for their plastic construction and display, HTC doesn't stand a chance. There is nothing that makes Samsung superior to HTC except advertising, and HTC needs to start swinging back - NOW. If they don't pull out the heavy guns and bash Samsung with everything they have, I won't feel the least bit sorry when they slide down the tubes.

So you find that the best mobile companies are the ones that bash their competition instead of making their phones better? Cause honestly, there is a lot to like about the Galaxy products (hence why the S3 is one of the best-selling smartphones ever) it's not just advertising. That plastic design is not a bad thing either, there are good, strong types of plastic and the one that Samsung uses is one of them. It's also nice and light too so there's a bonus. It's pretty dumb when someone sees the word plastic and immediately thinks negatively about the product. Besides, most people buy cases for their phones immediately after buying them so there goes that argument.

If HTC wants to succeed yes advertising will help alot but they also need to address people's complaints about Sense, the flaws of the One X, etc (Though from what I've seen from people here, this is already a very impressive phone.)

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Nice looking device... too bad HTC is not the company it needs to pull this off. To start off with, i have owned MANY htc devices dating back to the pocket PC days... i would have considered myself an HTC fan for sure. However, my most recent HTC (a one s) has left me with a bad taste and this is just too little too late.

For starters, they cant even release a flagship device with the latest operating system, what does that say for updates? My one s STILL hasnt seen a proper jelly bean update and it was promised in Oct. Yes, my phone is rooted, but thats not the point (most ports just dotn work the same). top that off with the fact that they dont really unlock their phones (which has been a big pain in the ass with my opne s) and they can eat it. I am done for now.

that being said, this is a really beautiful device, and i am sure that screen will be ridiculous. If it wasnt for the 2 reasons listed (and for ME those are BIG reasons) i would be buying this phone. Not sure though if HTC has what it takes to really make this phone the success they think it will be but i hope i am wrong.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So you find that the best mobile companies are the ones that bash their competition instead of making their phones better? Cause honestly, there is a lot to like about the Galaxy products (hence why the S3 is one of the best-selling smartphones ever) it's not just advertising. That plastic design is not a bad thing either, there are good, strong types of plastic and the one that Samsung uses is one of them. It's also nice and light too so there's a bonus. It's pretty dumb when someone sees the word plastic and immediately thinks negatively about the product. Besides, most people buy cases for their phones immediately after buying them so there goes that argument.

If HTC wants to succeed yes advertising will help alot but they also need to address people's complaints about Sense, the flaws of the One X, etc (Though from what I've seen from people here, this is already a very impressive phone.)

I'm not saying it's the best manufacturer, I am saying that aggressively targeting Apple helped the Galaxy S3 gain market share, HTC needs to do exactly the same thing against the S3. They need to be very aggressive in marketing, that's the key to winning over the "normals."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't think HTC needs to go on the attack but I'll admit bashing ads seem to resonate with a certain set of people (I'm Mac/I'm a PC, Samsung Sheep, Binged).

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying it's the best manufacturer, I am saying that aggressively targeting Apple helped the Galaxy S3 gain market share, HTC needs to do exactly the same thing against the S3. They need to be very aggressive in marketing, that's the key to winning over the "normals."

Good point. If there's anything HTC needs to work on it's advertising. All I ever saw in terms of commercials about the One X was the one about showing off the video recording with the guy skydiving and the guy showing off the burst mode on the picture camera by taking pics of his dog. I would definitely say Samsung's ads against the iPhone 5 were a bit aggressive but honestly after so many people (alot of them pure Apple fans) were disappointed with what the iPhone 5 had it made it pretty easy for Samsung to bash it so not a lot of effort was needed.

As for the phone itself I think HTC might have a good thing going for them if they can get the word out enough.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think HTC needs to go on the attack but I'll admit bashing ads seem to resonate with a certain set of people (I'm Mac/I'm a PC, Samsung Sheep, Binged).
If its done the right way, bashing competitors can work wonders for new products.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nice looking device... too bad HTC is not the company it needs to pull this off. To start off with, i have owned MANY htc devices dating back to the pocket PC days... i would have considered myself an HTC fan for sure. However, my most recent HTC (a one s) has left me with a bad taste and this is just too little too late.

For starters, they cant even release a flagship device with the latest operating system, what does that say for updates? My one s STILL hasnt seen a proper jelly bean update and it was promised in Oct. Yes, my phone is rooted, but thats not the point (most ports just dotn work the same). top that off with the fact that they dont really unlock their phones (which has been a big pain in the ass with my opne s) and they can eat it. I am done for now.

that being said, this is a really beautiful device, and i am sure that screen will be ridiculous. If it wasnt for the 2 reasons listed (and for ME those are BIG reasons) i would be buying this phone. Not sure though if HTC has what it takes to really make this phone the success they think it will be but i hope i am wrong.

Can you please point to articles or statements from HTC that say that every One S would receive a "proper" Jelly Bean update in October of 2012?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
When I say "bashing" I don't mean to imply that HTC should act like an Android/Apple fanboy and go over the edge (lol) . I mean they should repeatedly and strongly emphasize the differences between their product (the One) and their main competition. I can see some clever ideas of a commercial with two friends, one having the S3 and one having the One. They could compare the color quality on the screens, and the One is clearly superior.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When I say "bashing" I don't mean to imply that HTC should act like an Android/Apple fanboy anf

How else would you "attack" Samsung's "plastic construction and display" without bashing?

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
When I say "bashing" I don't mean to imply that HTC should act like an Android/Apple fanboy anf

And you're right, there are different levels of bashing. Samsung for instance, didn't say the iPhone 5 was garbage because that was going too far. They just said their device was better and the choice of which you should get between the two "didn't take a genius". Honestly, I'm wondering if that line didn't also serve a second purpose of bashing Apple for calling the employees at their stores "geniuses."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey