Will the One be Forgotten About After the S4 & Xphone Launch?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Well....just because a 1,000 people use the wrong term doesn't mean it's right. Also, in the same vein, just because multiple blogs write the same story doesn't mean it's right.

Until a company is in RED they aren't really losing money. Look up the meaning of LOSE. They are just making less money. Which is not the same as losing.

Making less is losing to me.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Losing, in a sense that they're losing in the marketplace (perception/mindshare/marketshare).

But as Kevin already pointed out, they're not in the red. They may be headed towards losing money, but currently, they're making enough revenue to cover their business.

You want to look at losing? Look at Motorola.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Well I would argue that you are jumping to conclusions about what the "majority" of users care about. You didn't state it explicitly, but I'd imagine it would be along these lines: removable battery, SD card storage, software updates.

Fact is, that's just not what sells smartphones. The masses are swayed by perception, not hard specs. And those features above, are not phone selling points. You've never seen a commercial saying, "LOOK! OUR PHONE HAS REMOVABLE STORAGE!" Have you? I don't think so. SD cards are, in reality, a geek thing.

HTC actually does have a marketing point with the screen. Because the screens are different, and displays are something that the majority of users care about. I think HTC should capitalize on the screen differences and construction differences. I believe that with proper marketing, they can really get back in the game. All the pieces are there, they just have to be smart.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Being someone that sells phones for a living, his conclusions are pretty good. Camera, screen size, battery life (not necessarily Mah, mind you - but actual useage time), total storage (not really about expandable, 32GB will satisfy most people) Those are the biggest things most people will worry about. Both screens will be very high quality to the average user, and while the One may look better, its unlikely to be a stopper for someone asking for the Sammy off the bat.

The marketing campaign will be key, to show people how the One stands up against the others.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Being someone that sells phones for a living, his conclusions are pretty good. Camera, screen size, battery life (not necessarily Mah, mind you - but actual useage time), total storage (not really about expandable, 32GB will satisfy most people) Those are the biggest things most people will worry about. Both screens will be very high quality to the average user, and while the One may look better, its unlikely to be a stopper for someone asking for the Sammy off the bat.

The marketing campaign will be key, to show people how the One stands up against the others.

The key point here.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well....just because a 1,000 people use the wrong term doesn't mean it's right. Also, in the same vein, just because multiple blogs write the same story doesn't mean it's right.

Until a company is in RED they aren't really losing money. Look up the meaning of LOSE. They are just making less money. Which is not the same as losing.

You have your way of looking at things, I have mine.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

And you would be incorect. They may be losing sales, losing market share, and losing mind share, but they haven't been losing money. In a business losing money is a very specific thing. It means a company is spending more money than it is bringing in. Saying "To me" in front of an incorrect statement doesn't make it any more valid, it just makes you incorrect and/or ignorant.

You have your way of looking at things, I have mine.

And your way of looking at this is incorrect. See above.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
IMO, it depends 100% on how well HTC markets the One.

Absolutely. I personally feel that Samsung phones are behind HTC, Sony, Motorola, and LG in build quality and aesthetics and about tied with them all on the software side. Yet people totally buy into the marketing machine and buy these plasticy phones up by the millions.
Most people commonly cite two reasons for this: 1. SD card expandable storage and 2. removable battery.

I totally disagree. iPhones have neither yet sell like crazy. It's the marketing. This has always been the problem with all of the Android brands I just listed. Has anyone outside of Android forums even heard of the LG Optimus G? It is one really well done piece of gear! The build quality is top notch, and the UI is extremely fast even before the JB udate!!

But you have heard of the Nexus 4 right? Ah. Both made by LG, and both phones have almost the exact same hardware. Bu the Optimus also has LTE and 32GB storage...

...And hardly made a dent in the public mind.

It really pisses me off. Seeing great phones flounder. These android companies need to wake the F up and advertise on mainstream media, not just the freaking internet. Amazing how only one out of 5 android OEM's even gets this through their thick skulls. SMH. Seriously you would think they were Scottish and not Asian! Cheapskates...

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!! :p

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
And you would be incorect. They may be losing sales, losing market share, and losing mind share, but they haven't been losing money. In a business losing money is a very specific thing. It means a company is spending more money than it is bringing in. Saying "To me" in front of an incorrect statement doesn't make it any more valid, it just makes you incorrect and/or ignorant.

If I had $8 yesterday and I have $5 today, I'm still in the positive, but I have lost money. And please don't call me ignorant. Name calling isn't necessary. It's just a thread in a forum.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If I had $8 yesterday and I have $5 today, I'm still in the positive, but I have lost money. And please don't call me ignorant. Name calling isn't necessary. It's just a thread in a forum.

A better example.

It costs you $2000 a month for room and food. You used to generate $5000 a month in monthly revenue.

But now, you only generate $2500 a month in monthly revenue. You're still making enough to cover your expenses.

HTC's revenues and profit have shrunk considerably, but they are still making enough to cover their expenses. Contrary to what you think, they're not a company operating at a loss right now.

I guess people don't like to be corrected but wrong is wrong.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
A better example.

It costs you $2000 a month for room and food. You used to generate $5000 a month in monthly revenue.

But now, you only generate $2500 a month in monthly revenue. You're still making enough to cover your expenses.

HTC's revenues and profit have shrunk considerably, but they are still making enough to cover their expenses. Contrary to what you think, they're not a company operating at a loss right now.

I guess people don't like to be corrected but wrong is wrong.

$5000 to $2500 is still a loss. And whether you or anyone else thinks otherwise, it still is no reason to call me ignorant.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Believe what you want. To say that I'm incorrect just cause I use a phrase in a way most others wouldn't is sad and narrow-minded. I'm not gonna waste my time arguing with people who only see their way of thinking as the right way. They're getting less profit, which means they're losing profit, which can also mean in a way they're losing money. If you're incapable of getting your head around that, there's nothing I can do for you.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
$5000 to $2500 is still a loss. And whether you or anyone else thinks otherwise, it still is no reason to call me ignorant.

Please quote me where I specifically called you ignorant.

Again, the example shows that HTC is making enough to cover their expenses. When that revenue comes in below what's needed to cover their expenses, then they're operating at a loss. But that's not what HTC has reported.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Please quote me where I specifically called you ignorant.

Again, the example shows that HTC is making enough to cover their expenses. When that revenue comes in below what's needed to cover their expenses, then they're operating at a loss. But that's not what HTC has reported.

I understand that. Thanks.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Let's stop being childish about semantics and just agree that HTC was less successful over that period of time which is the important thing to take away from that.

Getting back on topic I still don't feel that HTC will be successful until they have something with more wow factor. Show me something that other phones don't currently have that's more substance and less gimmicky, but most importantly something that people care about.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Let's stop being childish about semantics and just agree that HTC was less successful over that period of time which is the important thing to take away from that.

Getting back on topic I still don't feel that HTC will be successful until they have something with more wow factor. Show me something that other phones don't currently have that's more substance and less gimmicky, but most importantly something that people care about.

Thank you for the 1st part.

The 2nd part I believe you are referring to a common misperception that somehow a smartphone must dazzle all its critics in order to be successful. This isn't true.

The S3 was very successful, and yet it lacks the features of the HTC One. So why was it so successful, although being inferior in processing power, build quality, and screen display?

Mainly marketing.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of semantics, let's get into the whole subjective/objective thing, shall we! "Build Quality" means something different for everyone, does it not? Is an iPhone or an HTC One a better "build quality" device if it cracks/scratches/breaks easily? Quality to a lot of folks is how durable is it over a long period of time. Seems to me the placticky stuff Samsung uses that so many find vile and downright offensive to the cores of their beings will last longer without any damage that requires replacement. Not to mention it makes for a lighter device most of the time, which again is a quality many find desirable.

Anywhoo, this HTC phone looks to be a beautiful device, (my boss, an Apple die-hard since the 80s, actually is considering one)...but it's all about marketing, plain and simple, as has been stated already by many here and elsewhere. Half-a$$ or minimal marketing by HTC (not the carriers) means this phone is forgotten by most by June, just like the HTC phones from last year. In my opinion, of course. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

In this case, there's semantics and then there's the truth.

But pretty much everything in the mid to high range is a good phone. Can HTC add more gimmicks? Beats? Ultrapixels?

This goes back to the whole "innovative" point others have tried to make. The iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S III are two of the most successful smartphones in history. What was so special about them - relative to the rest of the market?

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
This goes back to the whole "innovative" point others have tried to make. The iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S3 are two of the most successful smartphones in history. What was so special about them - relative to the rest of the market?

Nothing. They were marketed to heck and back.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Mainly marketing.

Anywhoo, this HTC phone looks to be a beautiful device, (my boss, an Apple die-hard since the 80s, actually is considering one)...but it's all about marketing, plain and simple, as has been stated already by many here and elsewhere. Half-a$$ or minimal marketing by HTC (not the carriers) means this phone is forgotten by most by June, just like the HTC phones from last year. In my opinion, of course. :)

This is good to see.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The S3 was very successful, and yet it lacks the features of the HTC One. So why was it so successful, although being inferior in processing power, build quality, and screen display?

So I assume you mean the One X since the S4 is about to launch in less then a month. Both the One X and S3 came out last year around the same time and they were pretty much similar. I don't know what you mean by "inferior processing power" they both had similar international versions with quad-core chips and although the US version of the S3 was dual-core it had a faster clock speed and had an additional 1GB of RAM. I not aware of any review of the US version noticing a speed difference between it and the International version.

The One X had a slightly better screen and build quality but the S3 was slightly lighter, thinner and had a bigger screen. But Samsung ultimately brought more wow to their phone. They did a lot of work on the software side bringing a suite of "smart features" like S Voice, S Beam, Direct Call and many more. That coupled with riding the huge success of the S2 is why Samsung did better. Again the things that S3 excelled in were more important to the casual person; thinner, lighter, bigger screen and smart features.

I don't bring these things up because I'm rooting for Samsung, I bring them up because I like competition, it's good for the industry and the consumers. It's important for companies like HTC to be more successful and raise the game for everyone else. HTC may have lacked marketing in the last round but it wasn't their only reason for failure against the competition. And people who are rooting for HTC should take a more critical look as to what they did wrong and what they are lacking.