The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

deevel79

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree. The Samsung following is just too massive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

The power of marketing my friend. Sure the S3 is a feature packed phone but have you taken a look at the S3 section of this forum lately? Its plagued with threads of people complaining of issues with their S3. Freezing issues, over heating issues, Battery draining issues, various OS issues, etc.... Popular? yes! Problem free? far from! Not to mention compared to flagship devices of other manufacturers such as HTC, Apple, and Nokia, the S3 feels very cheap in the hand.

Last edited:

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep this thread cool and civil guys...! It's your opinion/choice to buy Galaxy S4 or HTC One but I don't think it's necessary to fight over it...:)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
As fun as this thread is, its kinda pointless if we are all arguing/debating different things. So maybe those things should be clarified before people get upset (or maybe they already have?)

Design, look and feel
This can mean different things to different people it could mean.
  1. The actual look of the phone. Does it look modern, does it look futuristic, does it stand out. This part can be very subjective due to taste. GS3 and Motorola RAZR a good examples of this.
  2. The attention to detail. For some great design means every curve, every edge, every screw has been meticulously looked over and is there for a reason. This is where I sit with design. Apple is a great example of a company having this quality in most of their designs.
  3. Ergonomics. How the phone actually feels in the hand, how comfortable it is. To some, great design is how well a phone fits in your hand. Great examples of ergonomic phones are the BlackBerry Torch 9860 and Palm Pre.

Build Quality
  1. Ruggedness. To some, great build quality means if you drop it 20 times, the phone will still be ok and show minimal damage. Examples of this are Lumnia 920 and GS3.
  2. Longevity. To others, great build quality means with normal use, just pulling it in and out your pocket over 2 years, that it will show minimal wear and tear. Examples of this would be iPhone 4, Nexus 4.
  3. Materials. Some connect build quality with the quality of the materials and how they are put together. The quality of the screen, the quality of the glass, the quality of the front and back panels, and how well all those components are put together. iPhone 5, HTC One fit here.

And of course, not everything, or everyone fits perfectly in those categories either, but most likely all of those categories weigh differently on a person when they come up with how well a phone "looks and feels" and its build quality. I myself prioritize, in order, number 2, 3, then 1 in the first category and number 3, 2, then 1 in the second, so a phone like the iPhone 5 to me is just incredible design and build that feels great in the hand. But someone who prioritizes 3, 1, then 2 in the first category and 1, 2, then 3 in the second probably feels as though the iPhone is a boring bland design with fragile build quality and uncomfortable to hold.

So how about we clarify our stances on what build quality and design mean to us before we start name calling?

Last edited:

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Apple has better build quality, but there are 6 or 7 Android devices that smoke the iPhone in overall functionality and user experience. Including the S3, Note 2, Nexus 4, Droid DNA, One X+, and probably a couple others that aren't available in the U.S. I'm not trying to convince anyone. That's my opinion. And when it comes to me paying for a phone, my opinion is the only one that matters to me.

Yes that is your opinion there are more features then the iPhone but are they as polished as iPhone features? I think pure Android is pretty polished but again I find my self switching between the iPhone and Nexus since the iPhone has less features but at least they are polished enough(IMHO)

- - - Updated - - -

Next someone is gonna claim ZTE is better than Samsung........

Sent from my Sammy Device.
No I'll give Samsung that they are much better then ZTE.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
As fun as this thread is, its kinda pointless if we are all arguing/debating different things. So maybe those things should be clarified before people get upset (or maybe they already have?)

Design, look and feel
This can mean different things to different people it could mean.
  1. The actual look of the phone. Does it look modern, does it look futuristic, does it stand out. This part can be very subjective due to taste. GS3 and Motorola RAZR a good examples of this.
  2. The attention to detail. For some great design means every curve, every edge, every screw has been meticulously looked over and is there for a reason. This is where I sit with design. Apple is a great example of a company having this quality in most of their designs.
  3. Ergonomics. How the phone actually feels in the hand, how comfortable it is. To some, great design is how well a phone fits in your hand. Great examples of ergonomic phones are the BlackBerry Torch 9860 and Palm Pre.

Build Quality
  1. Ruggedness. To some, great build quality means if you drop it 20 times, the phone will still be ok and show minimal damage. Examples of this are Lumnia 920 and GS3.
  2. Longevity. To others, great build quality means with normal use, just pulling it in and out your pocket over 2 years, that it will show minimal wear and tear. Examples of this would be iPhone 4, Nexus 4.
  3. Materials. Some connect build quality with the quality of the materials and how they are put together. The quality of the screen, the quality of the glass, the quality of the front and back panels, and how well all those components are put together. iPhone 5, HTC One fit here.

And of course, not everything, or everyone fits perfectly in those categories either, but most likely all of those categories weigh differently on a person when they come up with how well a phone "looks and feels" and its build quality. I myself prioritize, in order, number 2, 3, then 1 in the first category and number 3, 2, then 1 in the second, so a phone like the iPhone 5 to me is just incredible design and build that feels great in the hand. But someone who prioritizes 3, 1, then 2 in the first category and 1, 2, then 3 in the second probably feels as though the iPhone is a boring bland design with fragile build quality and uncomfortable to hold.

So how about we clarify our stances on what build quality and design mean to us before we start name calling?

Wonderful explaination , I'm the same as you I want a phone that looks awesome like the iPhone 5 or HTC I like touch wizz kinda(there I admitted it:p) but I simply cannot get past the plastic feel and that is a deal breaker for me and that's my opinion in these matters.

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I am one of many who are having problems with the GS3 (constant freezing, rebooting etc) and I am currently using a HTC one x while my S3 is in for repair (for the third time!) And while I really like the one x, I can't help missing my s3. I can't explain it, I just prefer it, fully working obviously. I know Samsung's build quality isn't as good as HTC's, but I keep my phones in cases anyway, so that isn't an issue.
Having said that though, I do think the new One, looks amazing, and is probably the best looking phone HTC have ever made, and I'll be interested in having a play around with it when it finally comes out, but I'm waiting to see what the S4 is like before I decide which to go for.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Also, feel free to break down that 300% and see what it means in real life. Not in some lab test that in no way represents actual usage. Don't just regurgitate everything you read without actually understanding what it means.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

"A new report from FixYa was published today with an in-depth study results on smartphone reliability scores. The company compiled information from over 720,000 phone issue reports and measured it against market share data from StatCounter. The result was a list of the most and least reliable handsets currently on sale. The iPhone came out top of the pile, some distance ahead of any of its competitors.

With a score of 3.47% it was 300% more reliable than Samsung?s handsets. The Korean tech company?s phones were given a lowly score of 1.21."

Thanks for coming out.

Sent from owning you using Tapatalk 2

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree. My S3 is horrible. I have the iPhone 5 on my main line and on my second line, I have the S3. It lags and I constantly have to pull the battery. I have had it replaced a couple times now by Verizon. I end up doing a hard reset to factory default every weekend just to keep it usable.

Don't get me started on the cheap build quality. I bought it the same day as my iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 looks practically new with minimal marks. It only has smudges.
The S3 on the other hand...The plastic is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! I can't believe I paid the same price as the iPhone 5 for this!

1. The back plastic cover not only scratched up within the first 2-3 weeks but it CRACKED! I had to buy a new one.
2. The silver painted bezel is just POOR quality. It scratches and dents like NOTHING.
3. The home button on all of phones (all of the replacements) had HUGE wiggle issues.
4. The battery life issue is bad too. I wasn't impressed with the phone dying on the drive home from work. I bought a new OEM battery from Samsung during their 50% off sale.
5. TouchWiz is a mess. I know I can install a new ROM but it shouldn't be like this! Why can't it be workable out of the box?

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree. My S3 is horrible. I have the iPhone 5 on my main line and on my second line, I have the S3. It lags and I constantly have to pull the battery. I have had it replaced a couple times now by Verizon. I end up doing a hard reset to factory default every weekend just to keep it usable.

Don't get me started on the cheap build quality. I bought it the same day as my iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 looks practically new with minimal marks. It only has smudges.
The S3 on the other hand...The plastic is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! I can't believe I paid the same price as the iPhone 5 for this!

1. The back plastic cover not only scratched up within the first 2-3 weeks but it CRACKED! I had to buy a new one.
2. The silver painted bezel is just POOR quality. It scratches and dents like NOTHING.
3. The home button on all of phones (all of the replacements) had HUGE wiggle issues.
4. The battery life issue is bad too. I wasn't impressed with the phone dying on the drive home from work. I bought a new OEM battery from Samsung during their 50% off sale.
5. TouchWiz is a mess. I know I can install a new ROM but it shouldn't be like this! Why can't it be workable out of the box?

Thanks for being honest! Its a rare quality these days!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

deevel79

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I couldnt get over the fact that this plastic phone retails for the same as an IP5 either. These 2 phones are worlds apart in terms of build quality. I guess with all the issues they're having this is the reason why you can get a GS3 on sites like Wirefly for Verizon right now for $50 with a new 2yr agreement.

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Apple (until the 5) and and lg with glass backs and your complaining about plastic?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Glass backs aren't an issue if you case your phone or simply avoid dropping it. I've had an iphone 4 for over 2 years no case and it's sporting one or two scratches on the back glass and a few scuffs on the corners from being in my pocket, but that's it.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is not getting any of my business until they start giving me my money's worth. I bought a Note 2 (Verizon) and was afraid to use it. I had to sell it before it scratched. Sadly, just having it in my pocket scratched the silver bezel on it.

That said, the Note 2 is better than the S3 in terms of solidity and maybe slightly thicker plastic (doubtful) but the surface is the same. It scratches easily and flexes.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally I was most likely gonna get the S4,but the One made me wanna wait and compare the two alot before I decide. They both have qualities I want in my phone.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Personally I was most likely gonna get the S4,but the One made me wanna wait and compare the two alot before I decide. They both have qualities I want in my phone.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

I am insane....but I am passing on both:D

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

This post screams troll. I haven't had one of these issues. Maybe my family was just lucky with the 5 s3s we purchased.....

Sent from my Sammy Device.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I couldnt get over the fact that this plastic phone retails for the same as an IP5 either. These 2 phones are worlds apart in terms of build quality. I guess with all the issues they're having this is the reason why you can get a GS3 on sites like Wirefly for Verizon right now for $50 with a new 2yr agreement.

Don't worry, the real difference becomes obvious when you look at resale values ;)

Sent from owning you using Tapatalk 2